Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Away goals double

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Assume this came in, in the days of away teams parking the bus. Surely with the way the top sides play now, this rule is no longer needed

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They'll keep it just in case we win the League Cup next year.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I still personally love the away goals rule. Adds some extra spice and excitement to two legged ties.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
It would just mean a return to teams parking the bus. You would give up this season's champions league drama, for that?

Absolutely right, time to introduce it in the Premier League. That would put a spanner in the works of the anti football aficionados.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Absolutely right, time to introduce it in the Premier League. That would put a spanner in the works of the anti football aficionados.

Now there's a thought. You score points based on the aggregate score of your home and away result against each opposition. I'm sure there is an anorak out there that could work out what the table would like at the end of the season. Question would be whether you play the home and away games consecutively rather than spread out like they are now.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Wasn't there a time / competition when extra time was played if a draw and THEN away goals counted? Gave the home side a bit of an advantage though but then again so does a true draw situation with for example (if it involved us) 0-0 and 0-0.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Now there's a thought. You score points based on the aggregate score of your home and away result against each opposition. I'm sure there is an anorak out there that could work out what the table would like at the end of the season. Question would be whether you play the home and away games consecutively rather than spread out like they are now.

Same system as now but an extra two points awarded to the winner over two legs once the return is completed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Away goals do not and have never “counted double”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here