Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] RIP Tommy Smith

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Did you know that he was charged with benefit fraud as he claimed disability allowance as he couldn't walk after years of footy....he was caught playing football at one of the cup finals in a charitee kick about!

Great hard man and wouldn't you have loved to see him dispatch zaha into the stands

Rip tommy
He would have scared the crap out of Zaha in the tunnel before the game !!
One of my favourite players when I was a kid and a proper footballer

RIP Tommy

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
He would have scared the crap out of Zaha in the tunnel before the game !!
One of my favourite players when I was a kid and a proper footballer

RIP Tommy

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Bill Shankly told the players to stand on tip toe when lining up against opposition in the tunnel... to make them look more imposing.

It was something Tommy Smith never stopped doing... he was on tip toe for this photo, taken at an event to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Liverpool winning the European Cup for the first time. Me in the middle with a few familiar faces! Jimmy Case tried to nick my wallet :wink:

IMG_0364.jpg

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I know 3 in that photo, but who is the chap to your right [MENTION=37369]heavysoul[/MENTION] ?

RIP Tommy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Ok... but I’m being thick... I still don’t understand what you mean by n, n, n, n, n ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both posts are NSC folklore (honestly, I can spell “having”)...

The answer to your specific question is “if the question is ‘would you...?’, would you?”

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Ironically, Tommy Smith was an extremely gifted footballer who is unfortunately best remembered for 'taking out' opposition players. RIP

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I've just read through this thread again and caught up on the new posts and it might just be me but I think we're all starting to sound a little bit P.P.F.
:moo:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes he could, and so could Hunter, Giles, Lloyd, Yorath, Stiles and many others, but they’ll only be remembered for their dirty stuff

Ah, yes, the futile mistake of trying to judge what happened in the past by what is considered proper these days. They played football as it was - and that was 'soft' compared to earlier times! Agree about Giles though - he was dirty IMHO.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Did you know that he was charged with benefit fraud as he claimed disability allowance as he couldn't walk after years of footy....he was caught playing football at one of the cup finals in a charitee kick about!

Great hard man and wouldn't you have loved to see him dispatch zaha into the stands

Rip tommy

Yes, I remember something about this.
Didn't he hobble on to the pitch to take a penalty?
Complete knobs. Did he actually get done or not?
I should think his battle weary body was in a bit of a state. Players of that era were often given pain killing jabs and played when they shouldn't have done, resulting in payback time, further down the line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here