Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Sir Andy Murray

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Right, so he's definitely one of the 30 sportsmen of our time, anyway, at least.

copyright Bridget Jones

Last edited:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
To be honest, I've never been a Murray supporter for a number of reasons, but you cannot knock what the guy achieved at the highest level and against the standard of opponent he faced. It's been great seeing him mature over the last 6-7 years and I really hope, for his sake, that the surgery he's likely to have on his hip can heal a fair portion of the pain he's clearly currently struggling with. In this regard, I'm a bit surprised he hasn't just retired - at that age, with his level of success and with the apparent severity of his injury, I'd say he's well within his rights to retire and sort his pain issues out!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Hoy is a good shout. Me and the nipper were struggling to think of anyone apart from Sir Kenny this morning.

I still think Murray wins but it's a subjective argument.

I'll see your Sir Andy Murray and raise you Jocky Wilson.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I've literally never got the 'hatred' some feel towards him.

He is a WONDERFUL tennis player who basically won the Davis Cup by himself, won a gold and London 2012 and finally broke Wimbledon losing streak. All in an era with 3 other absolute superstars.

On the 'personality' front, he's hardly offensive is he? You don't see him putting his money in tax-schemes. You don't see him falling out of clubs. You don't see him splashed everywhere. You don't see him mouthing off in the press or on the court.

He is a bloke who is great at tennis. A bi-product of that is the need to talk about it which clearly isn't the reason he decided to play tennis. As it goes he's actually quite dry and funny but even if he was the worlds most boring man, I have no idea why that would make someone dislike him so much.

And for that absolute NONSENSE about 'hating' England......

Forget the money. This guy looks BROKEN that his retirement is being taken out of his own hands. I just hope he can get himself to Wimbledon for one final goodbye. He deserves it. A true sporting great.

I imagine it'll be the classic case that, once he retires and you truly assess his career, the realisation of how good he was/is will hit home.

You're overestimating the intelligence of his detractors.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
I've literally never got the 'hatred' some feel towards him.

He is a WONDERFUL tennis player who basically won the Davis Cup by himself, won a gold and London 2012 and finally broke Wimbledon losing streak. All in an era with 3 other absolute superstars.

On the 'personality' front, he's hardly offensive is he? You don't see him putting his money in tax-schemes. You don't see him falling out of clubs. You don't see him splashed everywhere. You don't see him mouthing off in the press or on the court.

He is a bloke who is great at tennis. A bi-product of that is the need to talk about it which clearly isn't the reason he decided to play tennis. As it goes he's actually quite dry and funny but even if he was the worlds most boring man, I have no idea why that would make someone dislike him so much.

And for that absolute NONSENSE about 'hating' England......

Forget the money. This guy looks BROKEN that his retirement is being taken out of his own hands. I just hope he can get himself to Wimbledon for one final goodbye. He deserves it. A true sporting great.

I imagine it'll be the classic case that, once he retires and you truly assess his career, the realisation of how good he was/is will hit home.

ALL of the above. Great post.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Yes I know, but only for a short period, which is why I said others have been the best throughout their career, not just for a brief spell.

Andy is our best tennis player by a mile. But he's not the best in the world. He's not even in the top 3 (in his time). We have other sportsmen who are the best. People like Wiggins, Froome, Farah, Hamilton.

In the end it was short, but harsh to dismiss it as a brief spell. He had worked his way up to that pinnacle, and could have been number one for years, he's six years younger than Federer - but the injury came along just as he was at the top of the mountain.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Andy was incredible and what many people underestimate, is not the two Wimbledon's or US Open's he won, not even the David Cup or Olympic Gold whilst competing against 3 other superstars of his era but the number of major finals he got to and didn't win. E.g. he got to 5 Australian Open finals and but for Novak 4 times and Roger, would have many more major's to his name. I doubt we will see another Brit of that ability or level for a very long time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In the end it was short, but harsh to dismiss it as a brief spell.
Well I'm not just dismissing it, but this is a 'best of the best ever' competition, so the I believe the winner needs to have been the best in the world for longer than Andy.

He had worked his way up to that pinnacle, and could have been number one for years, he's six years younger than Federer - but the injury came along just as he was at the top of the mountain.
Presumably the injuries of his rivals also featured in him becoming number 1.

The fact is, that although he's our best Tennis player by a mile, he still wasn't as good as Federer, Nadal or Djokovic. We have other sportsmen who are / have been the best. No other distance runner is as good as Farah. No tour cyclist is as good as Froome. Etc.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes I know, but only for a short period, which is why I said others have been the best throughout their career, not just for a brief spell.

Andy is our best tennis player by a mile. But he's not the best in the world. He's not even in the top 3 (in his time). We have other sportsmen who are the best. People like Wiggins, Froome, Farah, Hamilton.

You mention four people in your last sentence, but they haven't been hampered by injury right at the peak of their careers.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Absolutely gutted.

Our greatest ever sportsman/woman and has always behaved impeccably off-court. His achievements will not be matched by another UK player for another 70 or so years. Seeing his interview just now made my eyes moist. An amazing person who has always shown his emotions and I love people that do that because I do with nearly everything. I hope he wins a couple of matches at the Grand Slams before he officially retires and I think it would be a nice touch of Wimbledon to let Sir Andy Murray present the trophy to the winner of either/or both the women's and men's singles titles.

Thank you so much, Andy, for all the wonderful memories and best of luck for the future.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You mention four people in your last sentence, but they haven't been hampered by injury right at the peak of their careers.
Had Murray not been injured, he still wouldn't be the best Tennis player. Nadal also missed a lot through injury, but he's still achieved far more than Murray.

And the best are the best, not those who might have been the best were it not for injury.

I could have been the best footballer if it wasn't for my crap body.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here