Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do we really have to take this Orwellian s**t from our club ? remember we are the customer

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not advocating anyone intentionally spills or throws drinks onto lower tiers.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am saying as a Dad with clumsy kids, the rule change is a bit of a pain in the arse and I will be taking patches of clingfilm with me to games in order to try and keep the floor area around my seat dry.

You can't take cling film in as that could be wrapped around a noxious substance and mask the smell.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Are these things 'orwellian' or 'draconian' ?

The term draconian has come to be used to refer to any unusually harsh law.

"Orwellian" is an adjective describing a situation, idea, or societal condition that George Orwell identified as being destructive to the welfare of a free and open society.

Could be a bit of both I guess. We're not free to do as we wish with our bottles (Orwellian) and the punishment for flouting the rule seems heavy-handed (Draconian).

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

"Orwellian" is an adjective describing a situation, idea, or societal condition that George Orwell identified as being destructive to the welfare of a free and open society.

Could be a bit of both I guess. We're not free to do as we wish with our bottles (Orwellian) and the punishment for flouting the rule seems heavy-handed (Draconian).

Dracwellian then?

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
What is to stop a zealous idiot filling a flask with petrol or acid, or worse, and lobbing it into the crowd. The ban on flasks is appropriate to the risk. ie low risk but potentially high impact.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Agreed the club is a good one. However, there are thousands of threads about other stuff, club related or otherwise. That there are several threads atm regarding these issues suggests it is important to a fair number of people. Of course it's relatively unimportant when compared to our history of struggle and the good massively outweighs the bad now, but if every thread poster had to measure any dissenting thread topic against the fight for Falmer or against our tremendous success on the pitch then there'd not be too much going on around here.

Again, fair enough. And of course when people start threads it is an open invitation for people to express strong disagreement :smile::thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

How about 'Barberian' to cover both?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Can anyone explain Stepping Checks?
Will the club be checking steps up to the concourses for slip hazards? Or is it that old timers will be checked to see if we can actually get up to WSU without a heart attack?
I admit that I do have to stop once on the way up for a breather, hopefully I am not being monitored as a risk.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Wow read the latest club statement on official site

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wow read the latest club statement on official site

WTF

'Brighton & Hove Albion have issued a five-match ban to a supporter, in light of offensive comments made on social media on Monday evening, deliberately designed to cause offence.

A number of complaints were made directly to the club, after the individual posted deliberately offensive comments online following the FA Cup fourth round draw.

Following an investigation by the club, the individual concerned had already withdrawn the comments and has now apologised for the offensive caused; they have also been warned to expect a more severe punishment should they breach club rules in future.'

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2019/january/club-statement2/

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
WTF

'Brighton & Hove Albion have issued a five-match ban to a supporter, in light of offensive comments made on social media on Monday evening, deliberately designed to cause offence.

A number of complaints were made directly to the club, after the individual posted deliberately offensive comments online following the FA Cup fourth round draw.

Following an investigation by the club, the individual concerned had already withdrawn the comments and has now apologised for the offensive caused; they have also been warned to expect a more severe punishment should they breach club rules in future.'

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2019/january/club-statement2/

No need for police intervention. Just let the club trawl through social media sites and give out bans. Welcome to the new age of football club monitoring and censorship.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
My concern is not the rules but how they are applied across various sports and large social gatherings e.g. I can't drink beer watching football from my seat but I could drink if watching Rugby. I repeat a comment I made in a previous the most dangerous and most used object to throw are coins.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here