Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inigo Calderon tweeting about the thoroughly deserved standing ovation

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not even close, imo. Calde >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hart. Hart was lauded (rightly) as a real TRIER in a bang average team. Calde is an absolute GENT.
Very true, but you're under-selling Hart a bit The fact that he became part of the fabric of the club and hung around to fight for his place are the reason he became a club legend, but never forget that at one time (for around 3 years) Hart represented the only real reason to go and watch Albion at all.

Not a bad shout at all. I don't think I've ever heard a bad word about Nelson, as a player or as a person.
Indeed. His book makes interesting reading - you can see watch a bunch of clowns the Albion management were in that era.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
He's only 32. Surely he's not over the proverbial hill yet.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Was it true that before we scored, LuaLua was ready to come on to replace Calde? I saw Andy Naylor tweeted that I think, but wasn't 100% sure.

Thats what was reported - dont know if its true, but backs up my earlier comment in this thread so I am liking it! Although i do admit that using the word terrible to describe Calde's performance was over the top. I just felt that he could have exploited the space he had better. I think Hyppia saw that too hence the proposed introduction of KLL in the first half.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Was it true that before we scored, LuaLua was ready to come on to replace Calde? I saw Andy Naylor tweeted that I think, but wasn't 100% sure.

There's an exchange that Sami has with someone (Naylor?) on the post-Bolton interview that is up on Seagulls Player. This exchange could well be Naylor asking Hyypia about this. On these interviews because the microphone is in front of Hyypia, it's easy to hear what he says, but it's neither easy to hear, nor identify, those posing the questions.

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Thats what was reported - dont know if its true, but backs up my earlier comment in this thread so I am liking it! Although i do admit that using the word terrible to describe Calde's performance was over the top. I just felt that he could have exploited the space he had better. I think Hyppia saw that too hence the proposed introduction of KLL in the first half.

LuaLua was stripped and ready to come on: when we scored, he was patted on the back and told to sit back down again. So it was obviously tactical and not injury related.

I don't know who would have gone off, but there must have been some chance it would have been for Calderon- Bruno to full back and LuaLua out wide, one would think.

Bolton were the narrowest team I think I've ever seen at the Amex and it made perfect sense to try and exploit that with a natural winger. Also good to see a manager not afraid to change tactics, even if it's only the first half.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Honest question - have there been more than, say, five more popular Albion players in the past 30 years? I don't just mean GOOD, I mean popular (which nearly always comes with a certain quality expectation).

I'd say Gary Hart rivals him, but can't think of anyone else. And rightly so. I love INIGO.
Kuipers most definitely was popular

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Looking at that video, was Calde not looking a bit emotional / dazed because he'd just been smashed in the face with a football? Was that not him taking a ball to the face just before that?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Bolton were the narrowest team I think I've ever seen at the Amex and it made perfect sense to try and exploit that with a natural winger. Also good to see a manager not afraid to change tactics, even if it's only the first half.

My god were they narrow! Just could not believe how much space Bennett and Calderon were able to exploit. No wonder Calde had such a good game. I really like watching him and Bruno together - they're on the same wavelength. Too often it's been either/or.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
If you read his tweets and look at the photos, they are not about his latest tattoo, new car, girls he met in the VIP section of a nightclub. Loads of them are encouraging young people in some way - through appearances at schools, hospices, etc. He is a one in a million, humble and approachable, looking to help rather than brag or throw out useless platitudes. Action not words. I'd love him to stay forever. A fantastic servant of the club and city.

This, most definitely this.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Looking at that video, was Calde not looking a bit emotional / dazed because he'd just been smashed in the face with a football? Was that not him taking a ball to the face just before that?

You're absolutely right but keep it to yourself eh? Mum's the word!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here