Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Will the Unions bring everyone to their knees?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Are you easy to replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In theory, no, for various reasons. We are required to have a lot of specific qualifications and checks. Plus reliability and relationship with the client in order to keep the contract.

In reality, they’d probably replace me in a heartbeat with some unqualified lump from Croydon and hope for the best.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I wonder how many employees on NSC will be getting a pay rise in line with inflation. We won't be getting much if anything in our household.

I didn’t for nearly 3 years, but changed job last month and got a double digit% pay rise (+ ‘welcome’ bonus of a months pay)

Far too many people stick around in jobs when moving would earn them a pay rise.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That suggests that working hours need to be improved for some staff. And maybe pay for cleaners too. That doesn't require an 11% pay rise for all staff though.

I know it's not just you, but that doesn't constitute a pay rise. It merely maintains the level of pay with the rise in the cost of living.
The failure to collectively recognise and challenge this is in no small part why so many have lost so much in such a relatively short period of time.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I know it's not just you, but that doesn't constitute a pay rise. It merely maintains the level of pay with the rise in the cost of living.
The failure to collectively recognise and challenge this is in no small part why so many have lost so much in such a relatively short period of time.

Of course you are right mathematically. However if everyone gets an 11% pay rise then prices will go higher. That 11 % becomes devalued pretty quickly and the cycle continues. The short term gains of the pay award disappear. Far better to try to reduce demand and dampen inflation that way….or fix the supply side issues like Russia.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I honestly can’t see teachers going on strike. Every one I know cares more about those two lost years of learning and it’s behavioural consequences than they do about money. Nothing scientific, just a gut feel. A low pay award won’t help with much needed recruitment though.

Yeah, I agree with that.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Of course you are right mathematically. However if everyone gets an 11% pay rise then prices will go higher. That 11 % becomes devalued pretty quickly and the cycle continues. The short term gains of the pay award disappear. Far better to try to reduce demand and dampen inflation that way….or fix the supply side issues like Russia.

I think that your assessment is fair economically, but after the last 12 years, how much longer do we expect NHS, Care Workers, Teachers and others to try and live on seriously diminishing incomes (nearly 10% pa currently) with increasing documented cases of reliance of foodbanks, charity etc ?

As I'm sure you know, I believe this has been coming for the last few years, increasingly so since this Government came to power. I don't have the answers anymore, but there is not the slightest sign of a change in direction of the economic disaster that is fast approaching :shrug:

And I feel really bad using the shrug icon, but that's the simple reality

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I don’t know if this has been posted on this thread already, if it has , my apologies.

8A183633-6D75-4785-A405-DDABEB62B8C9.png

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bringing some facts into the thread.

£38k is the median full-time pay for categories of rail workers involved in the strike.

The government exaggerated by including drivers, the union played the number down by including part-time workers.

BEE18772-E320-4D51-855A-66117C182965.png

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Actually I think it is the fault of the people in charge of the unions . They sound like communists and have the brains of a ferret .

didn't you describe abramovich as an amazing man? character judgement isn't really your stong suit.

it's odd you're an american and a snob

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Yes, I do think corners are being cut, but there is a whole new subject that could go on forever more!
The thread was put up because it's main headline news and I think it's disgusting how the RMT are using when it will do maximum damage to the customer, just because they feel hard done by. As has already been said, if you don't like what you get or how your treated then move on and feel satisfied by working for a company that makes you smile rather than cry.
I have only ever been involved in one union and quite frankly it's a load of victor meldrews stirring the shite and winding up their members into action.
What a waste of human energy IMO.

railway people love the railway, the locos, and everything else. they also know that to keep on playing with their life size train set, they need the punters.

your opinion is errorenous as it is based on a lack of knowledge of the people involved and the organisations

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don’t know if this has been posted on this thread already, if it has , my apologies.

View attachment 149088

I posted it in post 402. In effect it is fire and rehire for 2900 workers on a lot lower wages. The problem is that posters keep thinking the workers are being greedy and taking pride in the fact they haven’t had pay rises.

Maybe think how you would feel if you were asked to take a £9K paycut and more weekend work for less overtime pay. Greedy or trying to keep your head above water.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Bringing some facts into the thread.

£38k is the median full-time pay for categories of rail workers involved in the strike.

The government exaggerated by including drivers, the union played the number down by including part-time workers.
what? everyone's lieing to make their side look better? shocking.

i've seen some details flying around, looks like linked above. harsh new conditions that no one would agree and a sus "fire and re-hire" which is usually ploy at the end of failed negotiations. the workforce would all go contracting instead, maybe thats the plan.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
If the lesser paid workers get more money, they spend it, which generates work for others. If rich people get more money, they put it into tax havens which removes it from circulation.
The Conservatives call it trickle down economics but their version is different to what we think.

View attachment 149070

the money would stop trickling down if it wasn't pumped back up again, so that's where the tax system comes in............ :dunky:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think that your assessment is fair economically, but after the last 12 years, how much longer do we expect NHS, Care Workers, Teachers and others to try and live on seriously diminishing incomes (nearly 10% pa currently) with increasing documented cases of reliance of foodbanks, charity etc ?

As I'm sure you know, I believe this has been coming for the last few years, increasingly so since this Government came to power. I don't have the answers anymore, but there is not the slightest sign of a change in direction of the economic disaster that is fast approaching :shrug:

And I feel really bad using the shrug icon, but that's the simple reality

Yeah, I agree with your first paragraph especially. I certainly don’t expect the poorest to take the brunt of it. My comment was only really about the economic side.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Yes, I know but does it sit well with you when you see someone on their knees and vulnerable then the mob come in to make sure he is grounded.
That does not sit well with me, I have always had the attitude to help out and to work as one, especially in dire situations.
We are all in this together.

mouldy, why do you think unions were initially brought into existence?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here