Bugger, beaten to it by Pevenseagull

Try again

The Quarrymen to the Beatles

Blues Boys to the Rolling Stones

Last edited:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Supertramp
By the time of their third album "Crime of the Century" which spawned their first hit, "Dreamer" they had three new members, Dougie Thompson (bass) John Anthony Helliwell (Sax, keyboards) and Bob Siebenberg (drums). Only Rick Davies and Roger Hodgson remained from the original lineup and the relatively unsuccessful first two albums.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Deep Purple when Roger Glover and Ian Gillan were added to the band. I saw a great documentary (Classic Albums) on Sky last night regarding making of Machine Head.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Both My Bloody Valentine and Primal Scream fit the bill for me. Saw them both on the same bill (I think) at Uni in mid '80s and they were fairly anonymous indie, anorak bands. Come the early 90s and both bands had releases that changed music. I'm not sure how much was due to personnel changes, but they definitely reinvented themselves.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Joy Division morphing into New Order almost a totally different band is an accomplishment. Love both which one I like best depends on my mood.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Southern Death Cult were reincarnated as Death Cult, who then morphed into The Cult, and from then on the "hits" started coming.

Only vocalist Ian Astbury remained a constant of all three incarnations. I'm not sure if the same can be said about his dance moves...

https://youtu.be/RgUCIotNJF0

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Hawks who became the fantabulous The Band

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Genesis - Once Peter Gabriel left they got more poppy and commercial and made a ton of money

Marillion - Fish was there for 4 albums, Steve Hogarth has been there for 16 albums - some of their later stuff is incredible BUT everyone always remembers Fish..........

Sugarbabes...........a rolling line up but better output in later years

Take That - better once they came back as mature pop idols

McBusted - the absolute best of two bands and therefore the definite answer to the original question!!!

Christ.

Just the first suggestion had me rushing for the exits. :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Tyrannosaurus Rex to T Rex

Bugger, beaten to it by Pevenseagull

Try again

The Quarrymen to the Beatles

Blues Boys to the Rolling Stones

I really meant a band reinventing itself rather changing its name, lineup and direction.

I'll add a couple of others:

The Shamen. Their early stuff was extremely nodescript indie music, then they recorded Hyperreal :love:

Likewise early China Crisis was borderline unlistenable, and then they recorded Wishful Thinking.

If you want a name change, then there is Y?, who later became Danse Society :thumbsup:

Some interesting stuff on this thread (more interesting than the original post :lolol:)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I really meant a band reinventing itself rather changing its name, lineup and direction.

I'll add a couple of others:

The Shamen. Their early stuff was extremely nodescript indie music, then they recorded Hyperreal :love:

Likewise early China Crisis was borderline unlistenable, and then they recorded Wishful Thinking.

If you want a name change, then there is Y?, who later became Danse Society :thumbsup:

Some interesting stuff on this thread (more interesting than the original post :lolol:)

You don’t think T Rex was a massive change of direction, reinvention and line up? The Quarrymen to the Beatles? You ARE a fecking weirdo :lolol:

Spot the difference from the Hawks to The Band too!

https://youtu.be/dUZNAzL4wnk

https://youtu.be/FFqb1I-hiHE

Edit - maybe I have totally missed the point of this thread re reading your comments

Apologies!,

Last edited:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Christ.

There was a programme on recently about Roxy Music and how innovative they were especially first two albums with Eno. Also how they influenced and were respected by punk bands and others. Sid Vicious loved them although he thought Ferry was a .u..t!
General consensus was like Genesis they morphed into a bland but commercially successful band by the end.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You don’t think T Rex was a massive change of direction, reinvention and line up? The Quarrymen to the Beatles? You ARE a fecking weirdo :lolol:

Spot the difference from the Hawks to The Band too!

https://youtu.be/dUZNAzL4wnk

https://youtu.be/FFqb1I-hiHE

I didn't say it wasn't a massive change of direction. I said

Without
Changing
The
Band's
Name.

But let's not be picky. A reinvention, then, with possibly a band name change.

The Empty Vessels became Wishbone Ash. No, actually, that doesn't really interest me. Too easy. Perhaps I am a weirdo :shrug:

Incidentally my pal and neighbour saw the Quarrymen and the Beatles live (the latter more than 20 times) :mad:

I thought of another band that reinvented itself to magical effect (albeit I liked the original incarnation): The Doobie Brothers when Michael McDonald joined. Also Thin Lizzy after Eric Bell left (success came with the twin guitar attack - saw them at Hammersmith Odeon; although I preferred the original)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There was a programme on recently about Roxy Music and how innovative they were especially first two albums with Eno. Also how they influenced and were respected by punk bands and others. Sid Vicious loved them although he thought Ferry was a .u..t!
General consensus was like Genesis they morphed into a bland but commercially successful band by the end.

Indeed.

I love the first 2 Roxy albums and I love Avalon, but the rest is crap as far as I'm concerned. Street Life....Love is the drug :sick:

Japan were accused of copying Roxy Music. Odd that. I love Japan (not fond of the first 'glam rock' album, but after that....) and David Sylvian.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Talk Talk.

From decent-enough chart-friendly synth pop to the left-field landmark that is Spirit of Eden.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Christ.

Me too, Hopefully this will make you feel better.

2 musicians from the start then eventually 4, became the best backing band in the land, and 3 of them are still at it nearly 55 years later.

Skip Bifferty (1967)
Arc
Bell & Arc
Glencoe
Loving awareness

That lot takes you to the mid 70's and then a Stiff tour before they were renamed

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Me too, Hopefully this will make you feel better.

2 musicians from the start then eventually 4, became the best backing band in the land, and 3 of them are still at it nearly 55 years later.

Skip Bifferty (1967)
Arc
Bell & Arc
Glencoe
Loving awareness

That lot takes you to the mid 70's and then a Stiff tour before they were renamed

I didn't know that. And I am pretty sure I saw Glencoe support someone at The Dome. Could have been Argent. Calling [MENTION=37530]monty uk[/MENTION]!

(Edit I was right, September 1973!)

I saw Ian Dury and the Blockheads on the stiff tour, in Brighton and at Drury Lane. I've also seen Watt Roy playing with Wilco Johnson (in Deal!). Didn't realise he's a Geordie.

OK since you obviously like a quizz:

Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders
Hotlegs

What comes next?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here