Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Didn’t the French find that smokers were less likely to get Covid? I seem to remember

Well that's a bit like saying people who jump off buildings are less likely to be hit by a car.

Smoking is a uniquely deadly activity and highly additive because of the presence of nicotine.

It damages lungs and causes the sort of respiratory issues that mean you probably don't want to catch Covid.

However when isolated nicotine is "relatively" harmless compared to smoking.

Some research says it may help against Covid but the jury is out. I'm not a scientist and don't understand the theory, but I've read there is some commonality with the cell receptors Covid binds to and nicotine may help block infection.

However the scientists have made it clear that if that led to more people taking up smoking the result for public health would be "catastrophic”.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
i read that the first vacine is 75% effective and the second one is 95% efective so why dont we have the second one first and people will be saferer ? explain that boffins and so called medical experrts

Regards

DF

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
i read that the first vacine is 75% effective and the second one is 95% efective so why dont we have the second one first and people will be saferer ? explain that boffins and so called medical experrts

Regards

DF

Being so intentionally stupid is a hard thing to do, a bit like Les Dawson playing the piano badly, but still being able to recognise the tune.

Or maybe you are just very stupid!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Frustrated wait for PCR test results. Son sent home from school Thursday because he had a cough. PCR tests duly ordered returned on Friday and according to the order tracker delivered on Friday. Still no results. Anyone had any experience of how quick these things should be

Joe 90

Sep 16, 2021
Lads I'm worried they're going to lock us down again because the public sector Karens don't want to go back to work, largely because they can do even less work at home, but also because they don't want their colleagues to see how much lockdown weight they've gained

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don’t give up the day job …the worlds not ready for your comedy routine
Being so intentionally stupid is a hard thing to do, a bit like Les Dawson playing the piano badly, but still being able to recognise the tune.

Or maybe you are just very stupid!
Is this woman being serious? I assume she's just another troll like crodo.
It's the parody account of the unintentional parody account.......

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/fourth-national-lockdown-is-likely-to-be-imposed-over-the-winter-half-of-britons-believe-1219496

Poll data shows the publics appetite for another lockdown this winter if covid infections remain high and that whilst broadly people are fairly happy with the governments handling of the pandemic, the vast, vast majority of those who disagree believe restrictions should be harsher rather than being relaxed.
If they don't say what the question was, how is anyone supposed to make sense of the answer? This isn't journalism. I don't know what it is, but journalism is supposed to tell you something.

For all we know, they could have asked "Would you support lockdown if a million people are dying per week", or "Would you support lockdown if things carry on as they are now", or "Would you support lockdown just because the government says so".

One thing I can tell you for nothing. The vast majority of people do not support stronger measures than what we have now. If you ask a man without a mask "do you support mask wearing at all times" and he says yes, then he is lying. If people wanted severer measures, they wouldn't be ignoring the recommendations we have now.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Spent last 10 days touring about Scotland - didn’t see one person not wearing a mask inside - and if they did forget they were quickly told to get one on (no exceptions seem to be given or expected), track and trace at every pub/restaurant, hand gel in every place you go and expected to use it. So if we can do it in Scotland why could England not do it for a shorter time - maybe there is more trust in the wee krankie than Boris, maybe there is a true society, who knows

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Spent last 10 days touring about Scotland - didn’t see one person not wearing a mask inside - and if they did forget they were quickly told to get one on (no exceptions seem to be given or expected), track and trace at every pub/restaurant, hand gel in every place you go and expected to use it. So if we can do it in Scotland why could England not do it for a shorter time - maybe there is more trust in the wee krankie than Boris, maybe there is a true society, who knows
The problem with that is that since 19th July, mask wearing has been optional in England and compulsory in Scotland. In the week following 19th July (after the Euros spike had subsided), case rates in England were 379 per 100,000, now they are 325. In Scotland, in the week following 19th July, case rates were 200 per 100,000; now they are 422. Faced with data like that, it's not going to be easy to persuade people that masks and other Scottish measures are the solution to anything.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

Perhaps Scotland is not a good example as cases are on the up while in England they are dropping.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The problem with that is that since 19th July, mask wearing has been optional in England and compulsory in Scotland. In the week following 19th July (after the Euros spike had subsided), case rates in England were 379 per 100,000, now they are 325. In Scotland, in the week following 19th July, case rates were 200 per 100,000; now they are 422. Faced with data like that, it's not going to be easy to persuade people that masks and other Scottish measures are the solution to anything.

Great post.

It's almost as if the effect of NPIs is negligible and there are other more important factors at play.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Take a look at the likes of Spain, France, Italy. They are still taking CV seriously and have mitigations in place and cases continue to fall.

UK government strategy is simple, vax like crazy, infect everyone and hope for the best. Its a big gamble, best case we just lose a few thousand who didn't need to die; worse case new variant, NHS overwhelmed and more....

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Take a look at the likes of Spain, France, Italy. They are still taking CV seriously and have mitigations in place and cases continue to fall.

UK government strategy is simple, vax like crazy, infect everyone and hope for the best. Its a big gamble, best case we just lose a few thousand who didn't need to die; worse case new variant, NHS overwhelmed and more....

thats fine as long as you're not one of the few thousand.....i know 6 people who have pegged out within two weeks of having the second AZ vax , all reasonably fit and active but in their late 60's , i haven't had mine yet and frankly , i don't want it.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Crikey you're really unlucky that you knew so many of these 9 people...

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/two-more-astrazeneca-linked-deaths-in-past-week-tg

all six died from strokes and there was no pathology or autopsies done , one of them a friend of 30 years aged 70 , one of them a neighbour in my street , one of them the mother of the landlady of our local pub and one the guy who takes us on wine tours when we go down to Margaret River , and 2 parents of friends who i have never met.

but carry on being a funny **** eh....or a smart arse , i think the first one suits you better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here