Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jan 30, 2008
Well I'm not one that is blaming it completely on Brexit, but putting a hard Brexit on top of broader issues is a tipping point. It was obvious the UK government was never ready for Brexit, take customs controls the Dutch were ready, the French were ready, we weren't so we have an open customs border at Dover for the foreseeable. What was the point of Brexit if trade sanctions are only imposed one-way? As a result many British businesses have been thrown under the bus, EU businesses have more time to adjust

There are driver shortages in Europe too, but I don't see empty shelves in France, Germany or even Ireland, let alone fuel shortages. It a weak government at the best of times, Covid and Brexit together too much.

Have you been to those countries or are you relying on hear say again
Regards
DF

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Have you been to those countries or are you relying on hear say again
Regards
DF

I have relatives in Belgium who have said that the only shop over there which they've seen empty shelves in in recent times is the M&S in Brussels.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I have relatives in Belgium who have said that the only shop over there which they've seen empty shelves in in recent times is the M&S in Brussels.

I heard Stonemanor in Belgium a British chain in Belgium had empty shelves, but apparently the Irish stepped in to cover their shortfall

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
So why is there a shortage of drivers in Europe?

The ability to try and blame Brexit fully for everything is pretty impressive, I say that as someone who voted to stay.

don't worry, I think these lorry drivers are just waiting until they get enough Australian style points then they'll falling over themselves to drive in the UK

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:thumbsup:

:lolol:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
So why is there a shortage of drivers in Europe?

The ability to try and blame Brexit fully for everything is pretty impressive, I say that as someone who voted to stay.

Weren't we assured that Brexit would make things better though? Looks like millions of Leave Voters were misled.... or deluded themselves.

Anyway, I think this is a fair assessment of where we are now with trade, and no one can claim we were not warned.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t87BoQf22M

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Weren't we assured that Brexit would make things better though? Looks like millions of Leave Voters were misled.... or deluded themselves.

Anyway, I think this is a fair assessment of where we are now with trade, and no one can claim we were not warned.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t87BoQf22M

Which of course is rubbish and is being shown up to be rubbish every day.

But this still isn’t all Brexit

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“They’re is nothing an independent United Kingdom can’t do” - Micheal Gove

:lolol:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
We also had a load of Europeans (and outside) go home because of the shutdown - I work with a couple

You also had the pettiness of the driver testing from France and the UK

Brexit is playing a part, but lockdowns have played a bigger part in my view

You also have the third option - Drivers are treated like dirt
A refreshing point of view, benefitting from being accurate and free from the radicalised nonsense usually seen on this tragic thread.

Unfortunately we have several people continually, deliberately, conflating the effects of Covid with Brexit, as they need their daily fix of doommongering/I told you so. Without Covid, driver shortages would have been far more manageable and actually welcomed as rising wages and better conditions were only ever likely to be achieved once the constant flow of cheap labour from Europe was stopped. A similar effect can also be seen across other sectors reinforcing this point. Fortunately, as we now have more control of our borders we can adjust our immigration policies to best suit our needs rather than continually swamping the jobs market with cheap Labour. A temporary relaxation may be needed until the effects of Covid (on hiring newly qualified Uk drivers on better pay and conditions) subsides.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
If you think all this is long term Mr lever I'd suggest you're the deluded one
Regards
DF

My goodness, your mind is truly locked and bolted.

Liam Fox will be pleased....

EU trade deal 'easiest in human history'
Coming to a free trade agreement with the EU should be "one of the easiest in human history" because our rules and laws are already the same, the international trade secretary has said.

So will Daniel Hannan....

"Five years from now Britain will be flourishing as never before"
But don't do their dirty work for them now and attempt to delude others. It's enough for you to live in your own 'sunlit uplands' alternative reality.....

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I know...

Brexit was just the avoidable bit.

I know...

Brexit was just the avoidable bit.

I would say a great number of the reason are avoidable.

Building proper stops for drivers
Having a plan in place for the missed tests
Raising the wages
Listening to the reasons drivers are leaving
Fix the insurance expense for new drivers which stops companies hiring them

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I would say a great number of the reason are avoidable.

Building proper stops for drivers
Having a plan in place for the missed tests
Raising the wages
Listening to the reasons drivers are leaving
Fix the insurance expense for new drivers which stops companies hiring them

Good points.

These are certainly ways to start fixing it. As per the thread title though I am focused on a choice 'we' made that contributed to causing it....

Any suggestions for solving that part?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here