Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg, this is how you do it...

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
January 30, 2007

WASHER woman Agnes Haddock has taken bookies to the cleaners with a record £410,332 . . . for a £2 bet.

Agnes, 50, who runs a washing and ironing business, chose all six Tote Scoop6 TV jackpot winners on Saturday.

And she has a chance of picking up a £248,288 (See below) bonus if she picks the winner of a race still to be nominated next Saturday at Sandown.

In spite of her riches, Agnes plans to keep on working at her firm called The Ironing Board in Northwich, Cheshire, which she runs from a rented shop.

She said: “I spend most of my time washing and ironing and I would miss it terribly if I gave it up. And I couldn’t let my customers down.”

Husband Colin, 69 — who retired two years ago after running The Old Crown pub in the town with Agnes — said: “Everyone knows Aggie is the lucky one.”

Agnes watched the day’s racing on TV with pals at her local Buffaloes’ club.

She said yesterday: “I only ever pick horses if I fancy their names.”

Her FIRST selection Simon won at 7-1 in the 2.25 at Southwell. Agnes said: “I picked it because I used to work with a really nice lad called Simon.”

Her SECOND choice, Exotic Dancer — which Agnes chose because she had backed it previously — trotted up at 6-1 in the 2.45 at Cheltenham.

She got inspiration for the THIRD winner — 6-1 Clouding Over in the 3.05 at Southwell — because it started to rain when she went into a BetFred bookies to place her bet.

Her FOURTH choice, Mountain, was a non-runner so her money automatically went on the favourite, Katchit — which won in the 3.30 at Cheltenham at 2-1.

Agnes’s FIFTH horse Haggle Twins came home first at 8-1 in the 3.35 at Southwell.

The TV commentator revealed that just 26 ticket-holders were in with a chance of winning the jackpot — and only one punter had selected Whispered Secret, an 8-1 outsider in the 3.55 at Cheltenham. That was Agnes’ SIXTH horse and it romped home.

She said: “I couldn’t believe it — so much money for just £2.

“I bought drinks all round and spent £192 on the most expensive round of my life.”

Agnes added: “I got my love of a flutter from my dad Angus who died four years ago, but he’ll have been smiling down at my win.

“I don’t know exactly what I am going to do with all the money — probably buy a new house and have a holiday. It’s still all a real shock. For £2 I’ve won a fortune I’ve got a chance of winning more.”

Denise Lownsbrough, 58, manager of the BetFred shop where Aggie has her regular Saturday punt, said: “This is the biggest jackpot ever won by a woman and it couldn’t happen to a nicer lady. We will all be cheering Agnes on this Saturday — there is a £5,000 bonus for the shop staff if she gets it right.”

Then.......

agnes_cheque510.jpg

February 3, 2007

WHEN Agnes World won the July Cup at Newmarket, ably assisted by Yutaka Take, he headed east having earned £95,700.

When Agnes Haddock won the Tote Scoop6 at Sandown, ably assisted by husband Colin, she headed north having earned £688,620. And, unlike Take, she got a big one on the cheek from Tommo.

Amid scenes of ruby red faces, loud shrieks and sloppy kisses, the world's wealthiest Haddock revelled in the euphoria of a day beyond her wildest dreams after Taranis earned the professional ironer her second super Saturday in the space of seven days.

On the same afternoon she received her Scoop6 win fund cheque from the Tote for £410,332, Haddock later received another cheque for £278,288 after Ruby Walsh punched home Taranis in the Sandown Handicap Hurdle, the 17-runner contest selectedby the Tote as the big bet's bonus race.

"I still can't believe I've backed seven horses and they all won - it's amazing to think I've won all that money for £2," said a jubilant Haddock.

"I picked Taranis because I was born on the 13th and he was number 13, but, to be honest, I wasn't bothered if he won or not, because the money I won last week was enough for me.

"I was stood at the winning post during the race with Colin, my sister Betty and her husband Mick, but I couldn't really watch it, I was too nervous.

"Derek Thompson was holding my hand, saying, 'you're going alright, love', but I was that excited I only saw about half of the race, and then when he came past the post in front I couldn't believe it!"

After Haddock's astonishing success was announced over the Sandown public address, scores of genuinely delighted racegoers swelled the crowds around the winner's enclosure, where the 50-year-old was cheekily asked by Walsh if he might be entitled to a ten per cent cut. He isn't (although he got a big kiss), but the staff at the Betfred shop in Northwich, Cheshire, where Haddock placed her bet last Saturday, do benefit, in the form of a £5,000 bonus. Also celebrating were the Tote, whose chairman Peter Jones seemed to forget his recent heart problems when enjoying a one-man conga while celebrating with Haddock on the victory podium.

"Agnes has been manna from heaven," said Tote spokesman Paul Petrie. "She's a woman who placed a £2 bet in a betting shop, and she proves that anyone can win the Scoop6."
In another boost for the Tote, Haddock - who on Saturday added a van for her cleaning business to a list of things to buy - insists she will once again play the Scoop6, whose £88,227 win fund was emptied by a London Ladbrokes customer, who now plays for £35,668 next Saturday.

"It's all been wonderful," Haddock added. "Betfred drove us down in a limo, I was on the Eamonn Holmes show, we've been in the royal box and I've had my photo taken with Peter O'Sullevan and Brough Scott. I've thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'll be back at work next week - I've got to keep the customers happy!"

And asked how she was planning to spend her big night, Haddock answered with complete certainty. "I'm going to get p****d."

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
She was bloody lucky with her fourth choice Mountain :glare:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here