Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

REMF major supporters of Coaching for Hope

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
About three months ago, Linda, my wife, told me that she had heard that Norman Cook, aka Fatboy Slim, was going to the African state of Mali to visit aids/HIV orphans as the Patron of the “Coaching for Hope” project. Having organised the golf matches for the REMF, I was curious to learn more about this project as I wondered if this would be worth supporting. The remit of the REMF is to raise funds for children in the UK and abroad who wish to play football, but may not be able to without our help.

I asked the Albion legend, Paul Rogers, if he had a contact name for Norman or Skint records in order that I might find out more, but instead, he gave me the name of one of the Albion trainers who was out in Mali with Norman. I emailed the Albion trainer, Darren Teague, (Football Inclusion Project Manager) who was very helpful and informed that the Sunday Mirror would be having a two page centre fold spread about Norman’s trip to Mali. When I read the article the following Sunday, I must admit to feeling quite moved by it all. The photographs that accompanied the article really brought it home that these kids had absolutely nothing, either now or in the future.

I spoke to Gareth, (Uncle Spielberg), who is chairman of the REMF, about maybe supporting this project as I was convinced more than ever, that this project would be an ideal vehicle for the REMF. Gareth said to arrange a meeting with the Albion representatives of the Coaching for Hope project, so we met locally with Darren and Jake Naish, (Coaching for Hope Development officer). (see coaching for hope website). Jake gave a very moving presentation and I believe that, there and then, Gareth and Doug Eaton were in agreement that we could support this cause. We were told that to sponsor a local coach for a year would cost approximately £700 per year, but with a little more, t-shirts for the kids, (these would become prized possessions, so much so, that the kids would probably sleep in them as well), and footballs could be supplied.

The REMF AGM then agreed to sponsor the project for the sum of £1,000 every year for the next three years.

Last Monday, at the Preston Park Hotel, the REMF handed over to the “Coaching for Hope” project, the first cheque for £1,000. The photo shows Jake, myself, Doug, Laura, (Doug’s wife), Gareth and Darren with a cheque for total amount committed by the REMF to the Coaching for Hope project.

I hope this receives the blessing and full approval, not only from those who support the REMF, but everyone who uses this message board and/or supports the Albion.

Tony (woodingdean gull)

remf_cfh.jpg

(picture resized by roz!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
this is Tony's brainchild but the Eatons , me , Ed and Roz were in full agreement. The REMF logo will be seen on the plains of Africa and the fields of New York as well as 6 clubs here. ( photos a bit big ! ).

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Great stuff :clap2:

I went to Malawi on a school trip and we took some kits out for various footballs teams of some orphanages and some balls etc. They did become their prized possessions and the look of sheer delight on their faces was a moment never to forget.

Fantastic work and great to see that REMF is going from strength to strength :bowdown:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
:bounce:

Excellent

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Good work to all involved.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Woodingdean Gull said:
Sorry about the size of the photo, I've asked Bozza to downsizw the whole thing to make the reading of it easier.

I've done it already, Tony! Looks like a good presentation and only sorry that it clashed with another event and we couldn't join you.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I'm really glad, and proud, to hear that the REMF is supporting such a worthy cause, well done to all involved :clap2: :clap2:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Excellent stuff, respect to everyone involved. REMF continues to make us proud of the Albion supporting community.

(By the way, the cheque appears to be for £3000 - but your post says it was the first of three £1000 cheques? Not that it matters!)

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
bhafc99 said:
Excellent stuff, respect to everyone involved. REMF continues to make us proud of the Albion supporting community.

(By the way, the cheque appears to be for £3000 - but your post says it was the first of three £1000 cheques? Not that it matters!)

We have committed £ 3000 to coaching for hope which is the value of the cheque to be distributed in 12/06, 12/07 and 12/08, we will meet and get feed back on a regular basis and report to NSC. Infact they are going in Jan and will be taking a REMF Sweatshirt for the coach to wear. Photos and feedback will follow.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
ie £ 1000 was granted this month.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
bhafc99 said:

I think if you read what Tony wrote, a presentation cheque showing the full amount committed, was pictured, but a cheque for £1000 [one year's contribution] was handed over.

Tony / Gareth - Top, top works fellas. I salute thee.

My brother-in-law's uncle, Alfie, is a missionary priest in Malawi. My brother-in-law made a trip out to visit him a year or two ago, and was deeply moved, not only by the poverty and conditions, but by the spirit of the people his uncle was working with.

When he returned, he spoke with his wife and four kids about what he had witnessed, and as a family, decided to forego their planned holiday, and instead sent a cheque for the £700 they had put aside to his uncle. The money was used to build a breezeblock house for a local widow and her children.

When we enquired of Alfie, on his next return to Ireland, what contributions would be appreciated, he said "Footballs, all day long". For a kid to be given a ball, he said would be the cause of huge delight. "None of the leather shite, though. That shite won't last foive minutes on the dirt pitches". Got to be all-surface balls apparently!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here