Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what do job agencies really mean.. rant #3

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Simster said:
What a magnificent thread - it's got it all. Everything from agency whinges (I dislike agents as well I'm afraid) to bhaexpress losing his sad old rag as usual with the usual tirade of abuse he wouldn't dare say in public. What an absolute gimp.

JS,
I can't say I'm a fan of agencies in general, but in your defence, I can say that among recruitment agents I have come across a massive variation in the quality of service. Most of them are terrible. They bother you with ill-suiting jobs, they don't usually know what they're trying to sell (i.e. what the requirements actually mean), they invariably submit your CV but don't bother contacting you if your CV has been rejected by their client. By and large, recruitment agents offer a shit service in my experience. And to prove the point, I've been with the same agent for a decade - not because I am biased towards them, it's just that they do seem to get the job done ahead of most of the other agencies! Ergo, most other agencies can't compete because they're crap!
To be honest, why should I have respect for any service industry that isn't properly regulated? And why, 3 years down the line, do they still get paid 8% of my rate by my employer? As an agent, what possible value are you adding to justify that? In fact, all you do is add another layer of risk to me not being paid!

Lunch over, so I will have to come back to you on most of that this evening (I WILL NOT FLOUNCE!!!!). What you have made though is a very valid point - market forces dictate that the crap consultants will lose their jobs and the bad agencies will go out of business. Therefore, market forces play a major part in regulating our industry, although other legislation is also having an effect.

The word "most" is very important in what you have said.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
bhafc99 said:
No, this is largely a scam by agencies to get more CVs in and generally raise their profile. They frequently advertise jobs that don't necessarily exist.

What I was going to type, but you saved me the bother.

I don't think it's legal, but that never stopped anyone.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Trufflehound said:
What I was going to type, but you saved me the bother.

I don't think it's legal, but that never stopped anyone.

Never done it, never seen it....

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Simster said:
What a magnificent thread - it's got it all. Everything from agency whinges (I dislike agents as well I'm afraid) to bhaexpress losing his sad old rag as usual with the usual tirade of abuse he wouldn't dare say in public. What an absolute gimp.

JS,
I can't say I'm a fan of agencies in general, but in your defence, I can say that among recruitment agents I have come across a massive variation in the quality of service. Most of them are terrible. They bother you with ill-suiting jobs, they don't usually know what they're trying to sell (i.e. what the requirements actually mean), they invariably submit your CV but don't bother contacting you if your CV has been rejected by their client. By and large, recruitment agents offer a shit service in my experience. And to prove the point, I've been with the same agent for a decade - not because I am biased towards them, it's just that they do seem to get the job done ahead of most of the other agencies! Ergo, most other agencies can't compete because they're crap!
To be honest, why should I have respect for any service industry that isn't properly regulated? And why, 3 years down the line, do they still get paid 8% of my rate by my employer? As an agent, what possible value are you adding to justify that? In fact, all you do is add another layer of risk to me not being paid!

I tend to agree with you but you're still a snivelling wanker, no offence intended. Oh, and I would say just that in public as I would respond to abuse in kind.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
bhaexpress said:
I tend to agree with you but you're still a snivelling wanker, no offence intended. Oh, and I would say just that in public as I would respond to abuse in kind.
Oh no I wish I was a bit more like you. :D

*piles in*

Get back to reading your internet wife catalogue you strange bore. Or are you saving that particular piece of reading for next time you're slung into prison you sappy old hopalong gimp?

No offence intended. I'd say that to your face too - if there was absolutely no way I could avoid talking to you in public obviously. And while we're on the subject, why are you never seen in public with anyone. Oops! Silly question! :D

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Recruitment man/Dimster/Afters...

What is the best source of info for average bonus for particular IB roles?

ta in advance x

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
dwayne said:

ta in advance x
Ask the boards resident cancer wishing, Hitler admirer. He's so old he's been dealing with this sort of thing for years. Plus of course he knows everything.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Just got in from a liquid lunch and have trawelled through the first 50 posts and sense a flounce.

In my experience of recruitment agencies I shall say the following...

Office Angels - Shit unless you want to work at Inkfisk. Although the staff are polite
Adecco - Started off good, but when my 6 month temp work expired they couldn't be assed to find me anythig
Kelly's - Top notch, went in on the Monday and started a week later
Reed - :tosser:
Hays - Who??
Brook Street - Weren't interested in me at all, and come across as quite rude.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Simster said:
Ask the boards resident cancer wishing, Hitler admirer. He's so old he's been dealing with this sort of thing for years. Plus of course he knows everything.

There has been some great insults on this thread. This one, though, is my personal favourite.

8.4 out of 10.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Dick Knights Mumm said:
Ta. You have the jumbo pack I see. Here for the duration ?

Mmmm yeah but half the fat si I can eat twice as much. Not sure seems to have fizzled out a bit. I'm too late as usual.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Why do you think recruitment consultants don't personally respond to everyone who sends in a CV?

Will they be more successful if they focus their time on getting new jobs on their books and speaking to candidates that they can place, or in replying to every Tom, Dick and Harry who sends them a crappy CV?

We all have to prioritise our workloads and don't have the luxury of keeping everyone happy if we are in a pressured environment.

Jim can't fix it for everyone.

Many job opportunities don't materialise because of last minute changes by senior management, reorganising departments etc It's a fact of life in the real world. Things change on a daily basis.

If you are not a candidate that can easily be placed, an agency will not be interested. They are in business to make money and not to act as a careers advisor.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
dwayne said:

ta in advance x

dwaynester: the City Pay Guide produced by Monks (now PwC) is imo the best.

produced quarterly, very detailed

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think we should lock FRANK in a room with all the recruitment agents from COVENTRY, and sit back and watch the carnage begin.

It would be like viewing a Tazmanian Devil cartoon.:wave:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I liked this from the most annoying f-wit on the board ......... not an insult per se - but more loaded than a curious enquiry ................

It's none of my business of course but I'm curious: do you talk like this in job interviews or merely online with other fairly innocuous folk whom you've never met?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here