Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what do job agencies really mean.. rant #3

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
when they say a job i applied for is being 'put on hold'..

either a firm needs staff, or they dont? if they dont think i'm suitable, i rather they said so, up front, rather than keep me hanging on..

a few other (direct) applications made anyway, so stuff the lot of 'em!

rant over.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
desprateseagull said:
when they say a job i applied for is being 'put on hold'..

either a firm needs staff, or they dont? if they dont think i'm suitable, i rather they said so, up front, rather than keep me hanging on..

a few other (direct) applications made anyway, so stuff the lot of 'em!

rant over.

Maybe they need the headcount but don't have the budget til the new year.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
What sort of thing are you looking for DS?

Might give us a clue if we know what your preferred line of work would be.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
They may be banking on a new contract before they can commit to new staff.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Seems fairly obvious to me.

They haven't yet decided if they need to appoint someone, but think they probably will at some point. Thus, there's no point in pressing on at the moment, but they may do at some time in the future.

In the meantime, obviously you need to continue hunting elsewhere, and if you're fixed up when they decide that they now want to fill the post it's their loss and they'll have to start from scratch again.

It's frustrating from both sides. I know this having been the person trying to bolster my team in the past only for senior management to procrastinate for ages, losing all the best candidates who had applied. After the third attempt at recruiting someone had been delayed, I left!

Oh, and it's not the agency's fault that their client decides to put the recruitment on hold. It actually costs them money too, so direct your angst elsewhere.

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
No, this is largely a scam by agencies to get more CVs in and generally raise their profile. They frequently advertise jobs that don't necessarily exist.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I'll fill you in on job agency speak:

Hello = I'm a total and absolute fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy intent on ripping you off

Goodbye = I've made all I can from you and now you are worthless to me so I've no further need for you, you may as well cease to exist.

Hope this helps

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
bhafc99 said:
No, this is largely a scam by agencies to get more CVs in and generally raise their profile. They frequently advertise jobs that don't necessarily exist.

Source? Let me guess, you don't have one. It's just another unnecessary, unfounded dig at the recruitment industry.

If I put job on hold it's because the client has decided not to proceed. This can happen for a multitude of reasons. The company may not have approved headcount or have had headcount stalled. They may have budgetary issues. They may have just reconsidered the importance of the role.

The implication of a role being put on hold is that it will be available at some time in the future, as opposed to a closed role which has been filled or scrapped totally.

Desperate Fan - You really are beginning to rile me with your ill founded, stupid and somewhat ridiculous and ill informed digs at the recruitment industry. I understand that you are frustrated and need work, but perhaps you need to look at yourself, the types of roles you are applying for, your interview technique, your CV (and no, I am not doing that again), your presentation etc.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Jimmy Saville said:
Source? Let me guess, you don't have one. It's just another unnecessary, unfounded dig at the recruitment industry.

If I put job on hold it's because the client has decided not to proceed. This can happen for a multitude of reasons. The company may not have approved headcount or have had headcount stalled. They may have budgetary issues. They may have just reconsidered the importance of the role.

The implication of a role being put on hold is that it will be available at some time in the future, as opposed to a closed role which has been filled or scrapped totally.

Desperate Fan - You really are beginning to rile me with your ill founded, stupid and somewhat ridiculous and ill informed digs at the recruitment industry. I understand that you are frustrated and need work, but perhaps you need to look at yourself, the types of roles you are applying for, your interview technique, your CV (and no, I am not doing that again), your presentation etc.

But job agencies are generally useless !!! I've used them to find jobs for myself and they rarely have the politeness to get back to you.

I'm currently interviewing for my tream and our company policy is to use agencies. The agencies seem incapable of sending candiates with the correct skill set ( and yes it has been made clear what we want ), they hack the CV's around and make them barely unreadable. It would help if they actually proof read what they send us !!!

I personally rate job agencies along side estate agents !

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Westdene Seagull said:
But job agencies are generally useless !!! I've used them to find jobs for myself and they rarely have the politeness to get back to you.

I'm currently interviewing for my tream and our company policy is to use agencies. The agencies seem incapable of sending candiates with the correct skill set ( and yes it has been made clear what we want ), they hack the CV's around and make them barely unreadable. It would help if they actually proof read what they send us !!!

THEN USE BETTER AGENCIES!!!

That's it. I've f***ing had enough of this shit on here. I've dedicated so much time defending my industry to unwarranted, pointless and uninformed threads full of bigotry and generalisations started by the likes of Desperate Fan. I just cannot be bothered anymore.

It gets me so f***ing angry that people like you are so happy to judge and generaslise and point the finger. You can have your pointless little rants. If you want my informed response you can check all the other answers I've given on the other "recruitment consultants are all wankers" threads. In fact, why not just bounce the one that Desperate Fan started three weeks ago rather than go through the motions all over again?

Oh and by the way, I am sick and tired of reading posts that are not proof read. What exactly is a "tream"?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
bhafc99 said:

Exactly ! 'Recruitment Consultants' make the average Estate Agent seem very creditable.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Westdene Seagull said:

I personally rate recruitment consultants alongside pigeons and sewer rats

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Jimmy Saville said:
THEN USE BETTER AGENCIES!!!

That's it. I've f***ing had enough of this shit on here. I've dedicated so much time defending my industry to unwarranted, pointless and uninformed threads full of bigotry and generalisations started by the likes of Desperate Fan. I just cannot be bothered anymore.

It gets me so f***ing angry that people like you are so happy to judge and generaslise and point the finger. You can have your pointless little rants. If you want my informed response you can check all the other answers I've given on the other "recruitment consultants are all wankers" threads. In fact, why not just bounce the one that Desperate Fan started three weeks ago rather than go through the motions all over again?

Oh and by the way, I am sick and tired of reading posts that are not proof read. What exactly is a "tream"?

Who do you work for ? Can you honestly say the likes of MSB are anything but a joke ? Even people in the same industry despise them. If your agency is any good its one a small hanful.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
My husband was just part of a 'sting' on three well known high street job agencies and one independent. He complained because of the way the agency was treating applicants for jobs at his company and they did a whole undercover thing with the DTI. One is in a lot of trouble. Ahem. Disgusting. Evil. Corrupt. Callous. Oiks.

DesperateSeagull. I hope you find something soon.

Fergus96

Oct 20, 2004
Hove
According to Google, "Tream" is

Training Energy Agencies in Mobility Management

???

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
bhaexpress said:
Who do you work for ? Can you honestly say the likes of MSB are anything but a joke ? Even people in the same industry despise them. If your agency is any good its one a small hanful.

We've been here before and I don't have the time to go through it again. I shut you up about a year ago. We had a lovely long debate that ended with silence from you - do a search.

I liked the contractor thread a week or so ago - a taste of your own, bitter medicine! Contractors and contract recruitment consultants - what a happy relationship that is! (PS - I do perm x)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have literally just got another job thru an agency. I handed my notice in on Monday and I start the new one in Jan.

The agency were professional and curtious, never gave me anything less than the truth, put my CV to the right people and followed up each request for information I had. I in turn was honest with them and stayed in regular contact and generally did everything they asked of me.

If you are dissatisfied with your agency use another one. If you want to get a job then treat everyone you come in to contact with at the same professional level you would want to be treated yourself. Two business basics frankly.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Jimmy Saville said:
We've been here before and I don't have the time to go through it again. I shut you up about a year ago. We had a lovely long debate that ended with silence from you - do a search.

I liked the contractor thread a week or so ago - a taste of your own, bitter medicine! Contractors and contract recruitment consultants - what a happy relationship that is! (PS - I do perm x)

Shut me up ? No, in your your own mind maybe. Mind you having a thick skin added to manifest ignorance is very much in keeping for a 'Recruitment Consultant'. I suppose you 'sold' double glazing before this.

As you can see the vast majority of people on this thread have the same low opinion of your profession, maybe you could become a pimp.

Oh, and for the umpteenth time I am NOT a contractor, still getting the facts wrong is also part of your job description. What's it like to be a leper ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here