Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Ashes: Second Test, Adelaide - The 100% OFFICIAL thread [Merged]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Adelaide - Second Test official thread

A bit early for this but what should England do to change things?

Obviously Monty Panesar in, but who would you drop? Initially you'd say Giles, but this is apparently a slower wicket and Harmison has been all over the place. Should he be retained? Should we play 2 spinners (or 3 if you include KP)? Then again, Anderson hasn't impressed for a long time either.

I thought Jones kept wicket very well and batted tidily. He was unlucky to go when he did yesterday because he got a ball that kept stupidly low. Until then, he looked in complete command.

I'd be tempted to go with Flintoff & Hoggard as the strike bowlers, play Giles and Monty and drop either Anderson or Harmison.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Dropping Harmison is not an option for me. He needs bowling and some confidence if he is to get his form back and dropping him isn't going to help either of those. Anderson out for Panesar.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I would guess if Monty plays it will be Anderson that will be dropped.

Harmison was poor, but if he gets it right he is a match winner and at present Anderon does not seem to be. Also, I can see some logic in giving him this test as if he is dropped it will probably destroy what little confidence he has left and so that could be the end of his tour.

Oct 25, 2003
despite getting all out for about 10 in the first innings, i actually think our batting is pretty good

get panasar in for GILES, yes, panasar can't bat for shit, but he'll get wickets

i may get shot down for this, but i may be tempted to play MAHMOOD instead of HARMISON:ohmy:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I agree. It is either Anderson or Harmison for the drop. I haven't seen a great deal of the cricket, but my guess is that Harmison should retain his place ahead of Anderson.

I have been pleased by Jones, but I dread an important catch or stumping missed. No use dropping him now, but I would have started with Read in the first place. Monty is a MUST!

Unless there is a drastic turnaround in the form of both Harmy and Jimmy, then one must make way.

Last edited:

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Dropping Harmison is not an option for me. He needs bowling and some confidence if he is to get his form back and dropping him isn't going to help either of those. Anderson out for Panesar.

I reluctantly agree. I'm very fearful of overbowling Freddie, but we'll need him to bowl a lot if we are going to get back into the series.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Trigger said:
Monty in Jimmy out

Totally agree. I was listeing to Jonathan Agnew this morning saying Pieterson should go up the order, which I didn't understand as Collingwood scored 96.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
I reluctantly agree. I'm very fearful of overbowling Freddie, but we'll need him to bowl a lot if we are going to get back into the series.

However if the pitch is a lot slower it will be the spinners that will bear the brunt of the work load with the seamers rotating at the other end.

However if that is Fletchers thinking he may stick with 4 seamers and have Pietersen as the other spinner.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
I think I also agree with this. Flintoff is no good as a strike bowler given that he can't bowl more than 6 or 7 overs at a time. It's too easy for the batsmen to patiently see out his stint. And Harmison will have to start ahead of Anderson. Not only is a more likely match winner *if* he bowls well, but he's a better batsmen than Anderson.

We're missing Simon Jones badly.

Oct 25, 2003
_41402575_mahmood_getty.jpg

the way forward

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'd give Harmison at least one more Test, maybe drop Anderson who just looked like a little boy lost out there most of the time. But if Harmison bowls like that again, the axe is poised.

Heard some amusing stuff about one of our few successes yesterday. Apparently KP is loathed by his county team-mates. Even Warne, who last year wanted him in the England side and spoke up for him, has changed his mind and now thinks he's a Billy Big Bollocks twat. There's a story that after one innings last summer, when he'd smashed about 90 in 80 balls, he walked back into the dressing room, sat down, looked at the others, and said: 'Well, that's why I've got a million in the bank.' Bound to go down well with your colleagues.

I'd drop Anderson and Harmison. I understand that Harmison needs games if he is to get his form back, but I'm not convinced that he will get his form back either way. And we can't afford to perservere with an atrocious bowler just in case he feels like turning up and bowling well. I'd drop these two and bring in Mahmood and Panesar. Mahmood can bowl longer spells than Harmison (as he has no fitness problems) and can't bowl any worse than Harmison has been. And obviously bringing Panesar in is a no-brainer.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Tooting Gull said:
I'd give Harmison at least one more Test, maybe drop Anderson who just looked like a little boy lost out there most of the time. But if Harmison bowls like that again, the axe is poised.

Heard some amusing stuff about one of our few successes yesterday. Apparently KP is loathed by his county team-mates. Even Warne, who last year wanted him in the England side and spoke up for him, has changed his mind and now thinks he's a Billy Big Bollocks twat. There's a story that after one innings last summer, when he'd smashed about 90 in 80 balls, he walked back into the dressing room, sat down, looked at the others, and said: 'Well, that's why I've got a million in the bank.' Bound to go down well with your colleagues.
I've always been of the impression that Warne & KP were TOP CHUMS. Well until that throwing incident on day 4. (Why didn't the umpire warn SW officially, btw?)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think they'll bring in Panesar and leave out Anderson, who contributed nothing.

Knowing the way Fletcher likes to deal with players, I think he'll give Harmison the chance to play through his current crap spell and get his confidence back.

Not ideal to do that in the middle of a Test series, but if they were to drop him now, it'd be a huge psychological blow to him, and a boost for the Australians (yes I know he was rubbish in Brisbane, but he's still in theory one of our main strike bowlers, and for them to have got rid of him in just one Test would be like England battering McGrath or Warne out of the attack).

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
KP has, I read somewhere, one of the most obnoxiously foul and arrogant personalities in sport, a position for which the competition could, very charitably, be described as fairly stiff.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Simster said:
I've always been of the impression that Warne & KP were TOP CHUMS. Well until that throwing incident on day 4. (Why didn't the umpire warn SW officially, btw?)

Yep, I think that's the point. They were - but obviously too much of Pietersen's company is enough for even the thickest skin. Altogether now, 'Oh, I've never met a nice South African...'

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
and thit's not bladdy suprising man.

Cos they're a bunch of ignorant borstords and they hate blick peepl.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've travelled this old world of ours from Barnsley to Peru
I've had sunshine in the arctic and a swim in Tinbuktu
I've seen unicorns in Burma and a Yetti in Nepal
And I've danced with ten foot pygmies in a Montezuma hall
I've met the King of China and a working Yorkshire miner
But I've never met a nice South African.

No he's never met a nice South African
And that's not bloody surprising man
'Cause we're a bunch of arrogant b***tards
Who hate black people

I once got served in Woolies aften less than four week's wait
I had lunch with Rowan Atkinson when he paid and wasn't late
I know a public swimming bath where they don't piss in the pool
I know a guy who got a job straight after leaving school
I've met a normal merman and a fairly modest German

'Cause we're a bunch of talentless murderers
Who smell like baboons

I've had a close encounter of the twenty-second kind
That's when an alien spaceship disappears up your behind
I got directory enquiries after less than forty rings
I've even heard a decent song by Paul McCartney's Wings
I've seen a flying pig in a quite convincing wig

'Cause we're a bunch of ignorant loudmouths
With no sense of humour - ha ha

I've met the Loch Ness monster and he looks like Fred Astaire
At the BBC in London he's the chief commissionaire
I know a place in Glasgow which is rife with daffodillies
I met a man in Katmandu who claimed to have two willies
I've had a nice pot noodle but I've never had a poodle
And I've never met a nice South African.

Because we've never met one either
Except for Breyten Breytenbach and he's emigrated to Paris. (farts)

Yes he's quite a nice South African
And he's hardly ever killed anyone
And he's not smelly at all.
That's why they put him prison.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here