Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Desert Orchid has died

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Makes me laugh some people getting upset at the passing of a very successful horse who has lived a long and pleasant life for a horse. Why not get upset about the horses that regularly get put down after falling. What happens to all the horses who don't win races ? End up as Pedigree chum don't they ?

Why not feel sorry for them ? Fact is most people who are followers of 'The Sport of Kings' couldn't care less about any animal if they don't make money out of it, spare me the crocodile tears.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I don't mind admitting it: I cried at the bit when the horse had a heart attack in National Lampoon's Animal House. So very sad - and it was only meant to be blanks but it had a heart attack and they were shouting "HOLY SHIT! HOLY SHIT!" afterwards and running away. :jester: :jester: :jester:

afters said:
i'd have thought this thread demonstrates exactly the opposite: that our "postmodern culture" encourages such drivel as emotional gushing at the death of a horse.

lady di syndrome at its worst

Pretty flabby parallel, we haven't seen the whole of NSC bow down in a spurious grief at something they had little connection with just to fit in with the popular mood, we've seen one or two (at most) posters express sadness at the death of a horse whose career they avidly followed. What harm is there in respecting that.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
London Irish said:
Pretty flabby parallel, we haven't seen the whole of NSC bow down in a spurious grief at something they had little connection with just to fit in with the popular mood, we've seen one or two (at most) posters express sadness at the death of a horse whose career they avidly followed. What harm is there in respecting that.
Agreed. That's just so typical of the "dumb is cool" mood which is so prevalent these days.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
London Irish said:

A fair point.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Commander said:
Ooooh, I've never seen MB angry before!

:)

I am not really angry. Just like to have a touch of depth from US rather than receive his protective condemnation and refusal to mention anything that doesn't show his torture and love for a beast that runs faster than another and how everyone is against him and it.
Or how i am against him and it.

I do hate the real Spielberg though.

And today recovered enough to maybe seethe publicly. :)

Guinness Boy said:
Guardian reader speak for having a sense of humour I presume?

Sun reader universal excuse for lame comedy I presume? :thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
LI is spot on. This was a respectful post for a great horse who died. He lived a full and happy life and 27 is a reasonable age. But just because he lived a reasonable age and had a happy life does that mean you are not meant to be upset at a creature who gave lots of joy and excitement in the prime of his career dying. If someone posts Aunty Ethel died she was 90, should I post ah well the worms will be happy and she lived to 90 so fecking what, stop moaning.

I will not be wearing a black armband and crying myself to sleep tonight, just sad to see a wonderful creature leave us. Whats the f***ing problem with that.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Will there be a minutes silence?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Uncle Spielberg said:

I will not be wearing a black armband and crying myself to sleep tonight, just sad to see a wonderful creature leave us. Whats the f***ing problem with that.

I doubt anyone has a problem with you feeling sad. I am sorry you feel something precious has finished.

London Irish said:
lame comedy
And before someone reins me in, that horse pun wasn't intentional :blush:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Uncle Spielberg said:
LI is spot on. This was a respectful post for a great horse who died. He lived a full and happy life and 27 is a reasonable age. But just because he lived a reasonable age and had a happy life does that mean you are not meant to be upset at a creature who gave lots of joy and excitement in the prime of his career dying. If someone posts Aunty Ethel died she was 90, should I post ah well the worms will be happy and she lived to 90 so fecking what, stop moaning.

Get over yourself. Nobody doubts that you are sad that a truly great horse has passed away. At the same time, you are assuming that other people will feel the same way. A lot of us don't care much. Live with it.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
*amazed no-one's said this yet*
At least the burgers at Withdean might be cheaper

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I don't give a shit if you don't give a shit but why post " jokes " and shit about someone / something, someone else regarded highly, get over yourself post on the numerous other juvenile threads available elsewhere

anyway life is too short ( chance for a joke there ) to be wasted it discussing this with people who have no empathy with anything

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
hans kraay fan club said:
Get over yourself. Nobody doubts that you are sad that a truly great horse has passed away. At the same time, you are assuming that other people will feel the same way. A lot of us don't care much. Live with it.

Jesus - how cruel can you get? Sorry mate your pet died - live with it?

f*** this place for a joke today!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
And before someone reins me in, that horse pun wasn't intentional :blush:

So how come you can make gags. Is that not a bit disrespectful?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here