Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best place to eat out in Mid-Sussex

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My dad's a real foodie and its his 65th. Want to go somewhere a bit special therefore and greatly appreciate some up to date recommendations as I haven't lived there for 6 years now eg heard the chequers at Slaugham has changed hands and not a patch on what it used to be. Ockenden Manor in Cuckfield sounds interesting, with Steve Crane a top head chef (not a bad footy player at school I seem to remember). Any other recommendations appreciated because I did a google search for restaurants and smongst its British choices was the Little Chef at Handcross.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
If you like curries, the Nizam Tandori in HH or Thai 9 in Burgess hill (they also own The White Horse in Lindfield)

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Most midsussex pub foods are shit.Try the half moon at Warninglid.Been under new management for a while.Food is excellent alittle pricey though

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
portlock seagull said:
My dad's a real foodie and its his 65th. Want to go somewhere a bit special therefore and greatly appreciate some up to date recommendations as I haven't lived there for 6 years now eg heard the chequers at Slaugham has changed hands and not a patch on what it used to be. Ockenden Manor in Cuckfield sounds interesting, with Steve Crane a top head chef (not a bad footy player at school I seem to remember). Any other recommendations appreciated because I did a google search for restaurants and smongst its British choices was the Little Chef at Handcross.

Try Gravetye Manor.....

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
tai kar, all you can eat chinese buffet:bowdown: :bowdown:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you want to come to Brighton Due South is excellent and it's also in a great location.

It's great, locally sourced, not overly complicated food. It wins lots of awards and also comes with the Tubthumper seal of approval.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
portlock seagull said:
Ockenden Manor in Cuckfield sounds interesting, with Steve Crane a top head chef (not a bad footy player at school I seem to remember).

I second that. We went there for my younger brother's birthday this year. Food and atmosphere out of this world. However, make sure your account is well topped up, hand over your card and don't look at the receipt.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Monkey Man said:
Jeremy's at Borde Hill. Not been there but I've eaten at his previous haunts and his cooking is amazing -- really tasty.

Crabtree was superb, but a bit small for his talents, and him also from when I met him!!

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Monkey Man said:
Jeremy's at Borde Hill. Not been there but I've eaten at his previous haunts and his cooking is amazing -- really tasty.

Jeremys is superb. He's a top bloke as well. I highly recommend it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A mate was talking about a Ugandian restaurant, Cowfold way.

Sorry can't be any more help than that, it did seem a little bizarre.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
2 places in Burgess Hill i highly suggest are worth a visit.

Thai 9.

And Il Barolo ..the steaks are just sensationa there, like nohing ive ever had anywhere else.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
You're right about Chequers changing hands.

Don't go there.

the people who used to run it are now doing food at the Victory in Staplefield

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mellor 3 Ward 4 said:
You're right about Chequers changing hands.

Don't go there.

the people who used to run it are now doing food at the Victory in Staplefield

I used to take my wife to the Jolly Tanners in Staplefields for a meal quite often because the steaks were good but one day we stood like a pair of stiff pricks in the lower bar waiting to either be served or given a menu whilst the woman! stood chatting in the top bar and then served her 'friends', obviously regulars, when they came in. My wife walked out and vowed never to go back in there again, which we havent but we did go to the Victory as we wanted food and didnt quite know what to expect. The decor wasnt very good but the food was excellent and the beer was ok, will go back again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here