Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this a scam??

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Ive just recieved a text saying

Hello could Mr ******** plesae contact BCW Group PLC urgently on 08717001519 quoting unique reference number ********

ive been applying for jobs all day so my details are everywhere, but surley a prospective emplyer would call/email?

ive googled the number - nothing

what should i do?

(the name is right)

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Yeah just looked at that,

still not sure, definately didnt apply to them, f*** it, whats the worst that can happen?!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Do a google search to see if the code is premium rate. If not you've got nothing to lose.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
bristolseagull said:
Ive just recieved a text saying

Hello could Mr ******** plesae contact BCW Group PLC urgently on 08717001519 quoting unique reference number ********

ive been applying for jobs all day so my details are everywhere, but surley a prospective emplyer would call/email?

ive googled the number - nothing

what should i do?

(the name is right)

no serious business sends texts to possible employees. ignore it, most likely a debt agency

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Just phoned the number on the website, receptionist said the number is 100pc genuine, they are a credit management company.

I dont owe anything substantial (usual credit card/overdraft/student loan)

all i can think is in my last house as a student i dont think we paid our last electricity bill- but that was only for abour £60, surely they wouldnt bother going to this hassle?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
bristolseagull said:
all i can think is in my last house as a student i dont think we paid our last electricity bill- but that was only for abour £60, surely they wouldnt bother going to this hassle?

Then you, my man, are a fool :)

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Pretty sure im not the only one to have done this??

besides there were 5 in that house, it wasnt just me.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
bristolseagull said:
Pretty sure im not the only one to have done this??

besides there were 5 in that house, it wasnt just me.

Whose name was the bill in? Can't the company you rang tell you what it's about?

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
DAMANCLAY said:
Or alternativly just phone them and find out?

er, thats i want to find out if its genuine first- hence the title of the thread- dont want to be getting charged £9 a second.

receptionist wouldnt tell me anything, other than it was urgent that i calld them, cant be that urgent or they would have called me.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
bristolseagull said:
er, thats i want to find out if its genuine first- hence the title of the thread- dont want to be getting charged £9 a second.

receptionist wouldnt tell me anything, other than it was urgent that i calld them, cant be that urgent or they would have called me.

I thought you had found out it was genuine? I would suggest using a pay-phone, cant get stung for a fortune then.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Yeah, thats my plan.

well reception bird said it was- but who knows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here