Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dog attack

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
our horses were attacked today by three dogs who's owner let them out of the car near to our house. Does anyone know if their insurance covers neglect by the owners, or do we have to sue?

Here's the letter I've sent to the local paper.

Today (17/09/06 08-10hrs) our horses in our own field were subjected to a frenzied and lengthy attack by three Husky dogs, allowed to roam free by their owner.

The owner allowed these dogs to exit her car some two hundred yards from our property. The dogs, one dog and two bitches, headed straight for our fields. In the fields were three ponies, two horses. The field containing one horse and a pony has an electric fence on it perimeter. The dogs jumped though this and proceeded to attack. The attack was led by the male. The horse being petrified jumped through an electric fence over a six foot hedge and careered through the adjacent sand school fencing injuring himself in the process and breaking a number of fence panels.

Meanwhile the pony was being subjected to an attack more in keeping with an attack on a zebra by a large cat. The owner attempted to catch her dogs but the attack lasted some 15 minutes before they could be pulled off. The pony was in a severe state of shock and was near to collapse when my wife approached her. She had sustained horrific bite injuries to her rear quarters and legs. The police and vet were called. The physical injuries sustained will need plenty of time, effort, money and undoubted love to repair but a pony which has already suffered from previous owners beatings and rescued by us, the psychological damage may never heal.

All of this could easily be avoided by dog owners obeying the law and keeping their dogs under control and on a lead, even when in the countryside and lanes.

We are animal lovers, and have recently opened an animal feed and tack shop in Terrington St Clement, but feel strongly that the dog/s involved in this attack should be euthanized. It could be your animal or worse still child next!

ITS ABOUT TIME, WITH THE RECENT PRESS, PEOPLE STARTED TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR DANGEROUS PETS

Jan & Grant Burberry
Little Acre
Goredike Bank
Gorefield
Wisbech
PE13 4NH

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
That is a terrible story, I guess that these dogs resorted to their pack mentality, however like you I would blame the owner for being irresponsible. Sadly these dogs have tasted blood and may do the same again and certainly cannot be trusted, anyone reasonable would probably support your wish to have them destroyed.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
thanks for the support

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Sorry to hear that PM. I will ask my father who is a former solicitor (commercial property), as he may well know of the basics and perhaps decent sources of information.

I witnessed a dog attack on the seafront. Two pitbulls attacked a woman's snouser(sp?). The chap said "Sorry, it hasn't happened before!".

jakes right boot

Jul 29, 2006
If the owners don't have their pets insured you should still be able to claim on their household insurance which has a public indemnity clause.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I hate to say it but if the owner was so irresponsible as to let her dogs run free like that then it's unlikely she'll have insurance.

As it is I hope you reported the incident to the Police as the owner should be prosecuted. Whilst their are bad dogs there are even worse owners.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
bhaexpress said:
I hate to say it but if the owner was so irresponsible as to let her dogs run free like that then it's unlikely she'll have insurance.

Whilst there are bad dogs there are even worse owners.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
I hate to tar dog owners with the same brush but a lot of them are very irresponsible.

The next time I see a person let their dog shit on the pavement, and leave it there, I will scoop it up and ram in in their face !!!!:angry:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Sounds nasty, hope your horses are okay in the end.

As FRANK says I would hope there are recriminations for the owners of the dogs.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Sounds nasty, hope your horses are okay in the end.

As FRANK says I would hope there are recriminations for the owners of the dogs.

I'm a dog lover but the dog (maybe not the bitches) does have a mean streak. Maybe with a responsible owner he might change but sadly its unlikely. I too hope that the horses are okay now.

Don't worry about whether the dog owner is insured.

Just make a claim against them for costs incurred and damages. How they fund the compenation that's due is their problem, not yours, PM.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
PILTDOWN MAN said:
All of this could easily be avoided by dog owners obeying the law and keeping their dogs under control and on a lead, even when in the countryside and lanes.

I'm guessing this might be your best way to prosecute? If they've broken a law (I'm not familiar with the laws around dogs) then you'll be able to get them that way...

What a cruel and heartless thing for someone to do....I hope the horse and pony will be alright....

In the same way some stupid woman rode her horse down our street last weekend, now as most people know our road in Shoreham is the "rat run" into and out of town, anyone living locally would have know that cars speed up and down our street and its no place to walk your horse. The poor animal was petrified, I could see the whites of its eyes - and she was swearing and shouting at the car drivers who were queuing behind her to get around it and those flying down the other way....Idiotic thing to do....

Some people don't deserve to own animals...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The lady in question has said she's insured and the police were called. My wife and daughter who witnessed everything kept the lady there until the police arrived and she had to make a statement. My wife indentified the dogs. The vet has now taken photos and she also mentioned that she had to put to sleep another pony nearby who had also been attacked by, yes you've guessed it three huskies. When my wife took our son to school today the classroom assistant said she lived nextdoor to the owners of the other pony and even though they knew it was the dogs they did not witness it. It appears we now have a very good case against them. A full report was done by the RSPCA in relation to the other attack and they are now investigating this one. I've contacted the local press, who are going to lead with the story tomorrow, with photo's etc. The police have said they will prosecute if we want them to. Which we do!!

finally but certainly not last, the pony and horse appear to doing well (early days) and thanks for the support.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
PILTDOWN MAN said:
The lady in question has said she's insured and the police were called. My wife and daughter who witnessed everything kept the lady there until the police arrived and she had to make a statement. My wife indentified the dogs. The vet has now taken photos and she also mentioned that she had to put to sleep another pony nearby who had also been attacked by, yes you've guessed it three huskies. When my wife took our son to school today the classroom assistant said she lived nextdoor to the owners of the other pony and even though they knew it was the dogs they did not witness it. It appears we now have a very good case against them. A full report was done by the RSPCA in relation to the other attack and they are now investigating this one. I've contacted the local press, who are going to lead with the story tomorrow, with photo's etc. The police have said they will prosecute if we want them to. Which we do!!

finally but certainly not last, the pony and horse appear to doing well (early days) and thanks for the support.

First of all, am very sorry to hear about your horse and ponies. I know this doesn't help, but I have two huskies and they do have a high hunting instinct, an any responsible breeder should ensure that they will not be let off the lead in open places. I have 7 books on the breed and every one says not to let them off the lead. I know nothing about law, but is very, very neglible of the owner to have them off the lead. Also, if you speak to the majority of husky owners they will tell you the same thing. If you want to look at the books, to prove negligence pm me. Also please don't take this the wrong way, only ask as although Huskies do have a high hunting instinct is quite uncommon for them to attack something as big as a horse. Just wondered if they might of been Alaskan Malamutes? They are usually a lot bigger then Huskies, and a very male dominant dog, where as with Huskies, it's generally the female who is the pack leader, of course there are exceptions, but they do look very very similar, and is often very difficult to tell the breeds apart. Huskies are usually Greyhounds with a very thick coat, Malamutes are a lot more muscular, although they have the same markings

Last edited:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Kaz said:
I have two huskies

You lucky sod. They are amazing animals although the story above shows what they are capable of in the wrong hands.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
B.M.F said:
You lucky sod. They are amazing animals although the story above shows what they are capable of in the wrong hands.

You're more then welcome to meet them, they are anything but aggressive with humans and children, so much so they were bred to keep children warm in Siberia. They do require a lot of training, mine are always on leads. One is a complete coward and hides behind the sofa if anyone new comes in the house, the other is a complete slut and just jumps on her back, guard dogs they aint.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
PILTDOWN MAN said:
our horses were attacked today by three dogs who's owner let them out of the car near to our house. Does anyone know if their insurance covers neglect by the owners, or do we have to sue?

Here's the letter I've sent to the local paper.

Today (17/09/06 08-10hrs) our horses in our own field were subjected to a frenzied and lengthy attack by three Husky dogs, allowed to roam free by their owner.

The owner allowed these dogs to exit her car some two hundred yards from our property. The dogs, one dog and two bitches, headed straight for our fields. In the fields were three ponies, two horses. The field containing one horse and a pony has an electric fence on it perimeter. The dogs jumped though this and proceeded to attack. The attack was led by the male. The horse being petrified jumped through an electric fence over a six foot hedge and careered through the adjacent sand school fencing injuring himself in the process and breaking a number of fence panels.

Meanwhile the pony was being subjected to an attack more in keeping with an attack on a zebra by a large cat. The owner attempted to catch her dogs but the attack lasted some 15 minutes before they could be pulled off. The pony was in a severe state of shock and was near to collapse when my wife approached her. She had sustained horrific bite injuries to her rear quarters and legs. The police and vet were called. The physical injuries sustained will need plenty of time, effort, money and undoubted love to repair but a pony which has already suffered from previous owners beatings and rescued by us, the psychological damage may never heal.

We are animal lovers, and have recently opened an animal feed and tack shop in Terrington St Clement, but feel strongly that the dog/s involved in this attack should be euthanized. It could be your animal or worse still child next!

ITS ABOUT TIME, WITH THE RECENT PRESS, PEOPLE STARTED TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR DANGEROUS PETS

Jan & Grant Burberry
Little Acre
Goredike Bank
Gorefield
Wisbech
PE13 4NH

Hello!

I went to Forest school with ya!

I had a husky in California, but only for a few weeks as I was looking for a home for it as I already had a dog. She was really friendly and wouldn't hurt anything - but they all seem to have a hidden loony in them, and most are escape artists too.

As much as I love dogs, I only like the ones that are kept under control and are not aggressive. Since this owner mentioned has apparently also had a previous attack experience under their belt, only a merciless prosecution will suffice. You may be saving a future animal, even by the word getting around of the consequences of the suit.

Jugular is the only place to go for, and make it known with some publicity too.

Off leash is okay for most dogs, but the owners are ultimately responsible for their behaviour.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Kaz said:
You're more then welcome to meet them, they are anything but aggressive with humans and children, so much so they were bred to keep children warm in Siberia. They do require a lot of training, mine are always on leads. One is a complete coward and hides behind the sofa if anyone new comes in the house, the other is a complete slut and just jumps on her back, guard dogs they aint.

They sound amazing but if I see them I will want to get one and I don't think our cats would be too pleased to have a husky strolling around:down:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here