Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton vs York City

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The pitch invasion!

Did you go?

I was in the South Stand with a friend from school. We were ordered not to go and anyone caught would face suspension. But being bad ass 15 year olds :cool: we went. Took us a while to get onto the pitch - should we? shouldn't we?

One of the most bizarre experiences of my football supporting career.

I think our headmaster was in the Directors Box as well :angry:

Has anyone got any photos of the 'match'?

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
BarrelofFun said:
The pitch invasion!

Did you go?

I was in the South Stand with a friend from school. We were ordered not to go and anyone caught would face suspension. But being bad ass 15 year olds :cool: we went. Took us a while to get onto the pitch - should we? shouldn't we?

One of the most bizarre experiences of my football supporting career.

I think our headmaster was in the Directors Box as well :angry:

Has anyone got any photos of the 'match'?

I went and was about 7/8 at the time. I didn't have a clue what was going on and remember crying because I didn't get to see a full match:lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes and I remember the Goldstone announcer, who's name escapes me, begging everyone off the pitch because the club didn't want it cut up for a testimonial which I don't think ever happened. Fosters? or was that a different game?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Re: Re: Brighton vs York City

Woody the Seagull said:
I went and was about 7/8 at the time. I didn't have a clue what was going on and remember crying because I didn't get to see a full match:lolol:

I remember someone of about that age - sitting nearby me - crying and demanding all the fans to get off the pitch. Woody? :lolol:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Icy Gull said:
Yes and I remember the Goldstone announcer, who's name escapes me, begging everyone off the pitch because the club didn't want it cut up for a testimonial which I don't think ever happened. Fosters? or was that a different game?

The eerie voice "Get off the pitch! This is not the way to save your club"

In the end, it was!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Icy Gull said:
No I think that was the same game. He was still begging for the pitch invasion to end when I heard two stewards at the back of the North stand having a CHUCKLE because they'd heard the ref had already called it off regardless.

And then two minutes later a FAT SKINHEAD snapped the crossbar like a total FUCKTARD in any case. :nono:

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I was there.

I made it to the centre circle before being engulfed by the mob running from the North Stand.

we went over to the West Stand and stood and chanted.

It was something that HAD to be done....breaking the crossbars was a bit childish but people were verey very frustrated.

if you think its bad now, just imagine what it was like then......

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I remember it clear as day. As soon as York scored everyone piled onto the pitch, loads of lads Id never even seen at an Albion game before just there fo the ruckus.

I think when the post broke that it really hit home how massive an event we were witnessing.

I had mixed feelings at the time about whether it was right or wrong but without a doubt that Riot saved this club. The publicity was enormous and woke the nation up to what was really happening.

It was a shame to see Albion fans fighting each other though.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Simster said:

And then two minutes later a FAT SKINHEAD snapped the crossbar like a total FUCKTARD in any case. :nono:

I thought that at the time, but I think it was the breaking of the posts that really got us the attention we needed to help save the club.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Albion Dan said:
As soon as York scored everyone piled onto the pitch, loads of lads Id never even seen at an Albion game before just there fo the ruckus.
Scored??? I thought the ball went out for a throw near the West stand? ???

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Albion Dan said:
It was a shame to see Albion fans fighting each other though.
Yes, although the sight of Krispies being chased down the North Stand by a big bloke pissed off at the "rioters" did raise a SMILE on my face.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I was there and for the replayed game too. My teacher knew we were gonna bunk school so drove us down and picked us up. WICKERD!

It was one of those things that had to happen. There were rumours at the time that some of those scummy ****s from Combat 18 came down...anyone know anything about that?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Simster said:
Scored??? I thought the ball went out for a throw near the West stand? ???

Yes. From recollection, I thought they scored in something like the 7th minute and then the trouble happened after about 15 miniutes or so...

I was amazed that the ref started the game, after all you would expect trouble if "Sack the Board" was painted across the pitch - or did I imagine that bit?

Last edited:

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Found this on 'the net'

ttiao2.jpg

Brighton & Hove Albion vs. York City
The Goldstone Ground, Saturday April 27th 1996
Brighton v York on 27th April 1996 was the start of something in our family. I'd been living in exile in Yorkshire since 1987, but I still followed the Albion. I say followed, in the papers mainly & the odd trip to Rotherham or Barnsley.

Ever since there had been rumblings about the sale of the ground & move to Portsmouth, I'd been subscribing to the Argus in the hope of finding out more. I, like a lot of people wasn't a PC user, so the Argus or Ceefax was as far as information technology went. As the months & weeks went on & it looked as if 27th April would be our last game at the Goldstone, I got more & more wrapped up - there was no way the ground was going without me saying goodbye.

So on that sunny Saturday morning I set off, wearing a shirt, holding a scarf & with a camera in my handbag. How could I put nearlly 20 years of memories into one film? I couldn't. I told myself to savour every moment. It was a perfect spring day as I strolled accross Hove Park, the same sort of spring day that would have seen my mother pushing me in a pram not very far from here all those years ago. I went to the club shop before the game & bought a babygrow. I wasn't pregnant & didn't even want any more children, but it looked cute.

But the atmosphere was not that of a spring day. There was something up. I don't know quite how to put my finger on it, I couldn't summon up the enthusiasm to sing my heart out, I just wanted to look, listen & remember. I couldn't settle into watching the game. I stood in my old spot on the North Terrace, trying to spot former friends amongst the crowd, but the whole crowd was watching, waiting for something to happen.

We didn't have to wait long. 3.16pm to be precise. Fans on the pitch, players off, game over.

I couldn't go without saying thank you & goodbye. I walked slowly down to the pitch, people were just milling about. A steward helped me over the wall. I just bent down to touch the pitch, to say thank you & so long. As I turned to walk up the terracing, a spark ignited inside me. Mr Archer, I don't care where you live, I don't care how rich you are, I won't let you let my club die. I don't want my kids to grow up not having the memories that I have had because of this club.

Life for us changed that day. I was shaken out of my complacency, I may not have done very much, but I was there for the team when they needed them.

By the time the first kick of the 96/97 season took place I was pregnant & the babygrow was worn by my beautiful daughter Emily to our last game at Hereford.

The passion that came flooding back on that sunny Saturday has not gone away, it lives with us every week. It doesn't matter if we've driven 250 miles for a 0-0 draw, or we've lost 2-1 in injury time - we were there, we have a team to support. Thank you Dick Knight. Thank you Brighton fans.

by Judith Burke

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I still have that t-shirt although I daren't wear it incase it falls apart, it's a t-shirt I don't want to throw away!

I still remember the day as clear as a bell and I still have my little piece of crossbar which I picked up on the way out of the ground.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Icy Gull said:

Yep, the announcer said something like 'Would you all clear the pitch this isnt the way to save your club, but in the meantime heres some music'.

The testimonial was for Foster and it went ahead before the next season, against Sheff Wed.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I was in the southwest terrace and spotted my old schoolmate Ian Chapman standing at the mouth of the players' tunnel, watching events. We actually ended up having a nice "how's the missus, what you up to now"-style little chat through a freshly-ripped hole in the corrugated plastic that had constituted the Goldstone tunnel. He told me it had been called off for definite about 5 mins before they annouced it. By then, the hoolies present - who were lobbing anything they could find into the crowd and the tunnel area around there - had moved on.

I guess every protest needs its muscle as well as mind - were these people and their modern equivalents to act similarly towards Norman Baker and LDC, I for one would NOT object.

Last edited:

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I was there and for the replayed game too. My teacher knew we were gonna bunk school so drove us down and picked us up. WICKERD!

It was one of those things that had to happen. There were rumours at the time that some of those scummy ****s from Combat 18 came down...anyone know anything about that?

I spotted some lads in the west terrace giving the right armed salute but I know Steve and Charlie were not there :)

I had travelled down from Cov with my very young son and got a right bollocking from the Mrs when I got back. Apparently she had spotted me on the news coming on the pitch with my lad from the south stand :lolol: Great day.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I wasn't even a supporter at the time...but i recall that event, watching it on Grandstand. That was the first time I think I ever took an interest in Brighton & Hoive Albion. Interesting to read in Build a Bonfire though that maximum coverage on Grandstand was why it started when it did - good plan..

There doesn't seem to be a lot of coverage of it on the net though - TGC's video covered it quite well, and there's some great pictures in 'More than 90 minutes'...but there must be some more stuff out there?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here