Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Vs Crawley FA cup

Crawley Boy said:
Memory serves that more people watched that game than when you played host to Liverpool in the League Cup later on in the season.

Your memory serves you wrong. We were already out of the League Cup by that point that season (to Brentford). Indeed, we have never played Liverpool in the League Cup at home.

Were you thinking of the following season's game against ManUre (att. 16649)?

Crawley Boy

Oct 13, 2003
Crawley
fatbadger said:
Your memory serves you wrong. We were already out of the League Cup by that point that season (to Brentford). Indeed, we have never played Liverpool in the League Cup at home.

Were you thinking of the following season's game against ManUre (att. 16649)?
My error, sorry. Checking the stats I see that the cup game was your highest home attendance that season.

You never know if Crawley manage to beat Cirencester in the FAC4Q on Saturday week, and in all honesty they should, we could meet in the FAC1 on 8th November. It would be nice to play at the Broadfield Stadium in a competitive match, although a trip to the Withdean would also be most welcome.

No apology necessary.

I'm sure we would happily take Crawley in the Cup. Only, this time it would be 9-0 (hat tricks each for Knight, McPhee, and, in the last ten minutes having come on for a tired-because-he-was-endlessly-chasing-the-ball McPhee, Robinson). ;)

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Not only was it the biggest crowd of the season, it was also about 1,000 higher than the official Goldstone capacity at that time. I remember being confused by that one when they announced the attendance. Wouldn't happen these days.

If memory serves me, our Aussie midfielder David Clarkson scored one (or more) of our goals that day - remember him? And didn't Chappers score a screamer, or am I getting my games mixed up?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Crawley Boy said:
You never know if Crawley manage to beat Cirencester in the FAC4Q on Saturday week, and in all honesty they should, we could meet in the FAC1 on 8th November. a trip to the Withdean would also be most welcome.

Would we apply to switch the tie to Crawley on safety grounds though?

:lolol:

Working at Gatwick, I had to suffer the taunts of the wife swoping pikeys of the desirable suburbs of Broadfield, Bewbush etc, of how they were going to stuff us "rent boys." Victory was sweet as the Albion put the "small town in Surrey" firmly in their place! :lolol: Crawley IMO is little more than a small town in Croydon, full of Palace & Chelsea supporting brain donors...

The bald headed six foot centre forward somebody mentioned was former Worthing player Mark Searle.......A Donkey well out of his depth.

I watched the game from the North stand. I'd recently had a cartlilage operation and was walking with a stick. The plod wouldn't let me in with it and I had to leave it in the club offices...Every time we scored I was hanging on to the stanchion at the back for dear life!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I remember the tremendous reception for Tony Towner when he came on as sub towards the end - the biggest cheer I've ever known an opposition player get (although possibly matched by john Byrne's appearance for Sunderland).

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
One of my funnist memories at that game. First Crawley foul drew a chorus of "You dirty Northern Bastards"
:D :lolol: :D

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was there. Great day.

I stood in the North-West stand for a change.

All my Crawley Work Colleagues were in the East Terrace. I took a bit of (good natured) stick the week before. I couldn't wait to get to work the following Monday!!!:)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I was there in the North-West terrace. Goldstone was packed and I spent most the game being smoked out by some old fool with a pipe.

Can you imagine the 1901 Club if smoking hadn't been banned in football stadiums? Ready rubbed ponging all over the place, WSU would be fogged out. :cough:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here