Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whatever happened to Sterns Nightclub in Worthing?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
gloves.jpg

glowintehdark.jpg

36312i1.jpg

5403270_565b97272a_m.jpg

Jul 7, 2003
Ah yes, a most unlikely nightclub with lots of small room - somewhat ahead of it's time really as it pre-empted chill out rooms by about 20 years.

For those that remember the grand opening of the 'Undeground' at Sterns - the underground extension with the state of the art lighting and sound system - you should visit the place now as it is a childrens play area with climbing frame and a ball pit.

The place is now a hotel, restaurant and childrens play area owned by the Chapman Group who still own/run the old Chapmans pub and Bensons (both now renamed).

Ironic really as it was Chapman's hold on town centre drinking and clubs that started the downward slide for Sterns from the town's main nightspot into rave venue and then into closure.

D

Deleted member 2719

Sterns was a good night out.

Do they still have football matches on those pitches below what was Sterns?

???

Last edited by a moderator:

Jul 7, 2003
Mouldy Boots said:
Sterns was a good night out.

Do they still have football matches on those pitches below what was Sterns?

???

I'm afraid so. Some of the worst pitches in town with the most dangerous changing facilities. If you didn't get there early you had to change upstairs which meant trying to go up and down steep stone stairs in footy boots (of course local league players can't be bothered to take them off first!).

Always remember being particularly worried by the water that used to drip through the light fittings:eek:

D

Deleted member 2719

thedonkeycentrehalf said:
I'm afraid so. Some of the worst pitches in town with the most dangerous changing facilities. If you didn't get there early you had to change upstairs which meant trying to go up and down steep stone stairs in footy boots (of course local league players can't be bothered to take them off first!).

Always remember being particularly worried by the water that used to drip through the light fittings:eek:

Yes i remember those changing rooms.
I played there once against a team called Mapleleaf Rangers i think.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Caveman said:
Sterns, blimey now that brings back some memories, not all too healthy ones though.

Rat Pack, Ellis Dee, Slip Mat etc Oh how good a dancer I was. :eek: :lolol:

Do not forget Seduction, DJ vibes, Randall, Easygroove and my fave was also DJ Druid who I ironically ended up sharing a flat with in pompey some years ago.

Sterns crew - Make some fuckiiiiiiin noise :clap: :clap:

D

Deleted member 2719

Caveman said:
Sterns, blimey now that brings back some memories, not all too healthy ones though.

Rat Pack, Ellis Dee, Slip Mat etc Oh how good a dancer I was. :eek: :lolol:
I bet you didn't have any nice white loafers that glowed under the Ultra Violet lights.

:p :nono:

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
The borough council's licensing comittee "raided" the place one night and found that all the water was turned off in the toilets, so that every one had to pay extorionate prices for bottled water.

This was one of the incidents that caused Sterns to lose its license and then ultimately close.

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

(The place was owned by a multi-millionaire piss-head at the time, who has since died.)

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
legendary place, i once did a school project on it for my GCSE's, no wonder i got a 'D' grade :lolol: well before my time, but legendary none the less

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Sterns, In its heyday quite simply the best nightclub I have ever or will ever go to!!!

The atmosphere in taht place will never be bettered imo!!!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
christ STERNS was the place to be, only went there a few times mind.

BASHERS....now theres a place I really miss :nono: :down:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
thedonkeycentrehalf said:
Ah yes, a most unlikely nightclub with lots of small room - somewhat ahead of it's time really as it pre-empted chill out rooms by about 20 years.

For those that remember the grand opening of the 'Undeground' at Sterns - the underground extension with the state of the art lighting and sound system - you should visit the place now as it is a childrens play area with climbing frame and a ball pit.

The place is now a hotel, restaurant and childrens play area owned by the Chapman Group who still own/run the old Chapmans pub and Bensons (both now renamed).

Ironic really as it was Chapman's hold on town centre drinking and clubs that started the downward slide for Sterns from the town's main nightspot into rave venue and then into closure.
The Chapman group? The same Chapman Group that owns The Shore in Seaford nad Eastbourne (if the Eastbourne on still exists)?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
yes chapmans group own:

East / Persia Lounge nightclubs in worthing
Eden bar in worthing
The Church bar in worthing

and all that lot http://www.chapmansgroup.co.uk/

maybe some more outside of worthing but not sure

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here