Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adams vs McGhee

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
There seems to be this fascination with the Adams era and how things would be very different with him.

Adams was a decent manager, don't get me wrong - I was a big fan of his and gutted when he left us but he had one advantage over McGhee. Adams had Bobby Zamora! We were flying high and on the up with Bobby and without him we might well have been languishing in the lower reaches of League One or worse.

If you want to compare Adams and McGhee then you only have to look at their records at this level and above. I think you will find that McGhee stands out above Micky.

A lot of people seem to conveniently forget that we are now in our eigth season at Withdean and we have incurred more and more losses along the way as well as losing the backbone of our team.

We must focus on the positives. We have a group of bright young players who will only improve......

As for this "Adams attracted players....." McGhee has found us some decent signings - Frutos, Henderson, CKR etc. We are always going to be at the back of the queue with wages, and length of contract due to uncertainty of the stadium. We just have to bide our time and continue to develop our youngsters...

Gaining Falmer and the future is bright....

Oh and we will get Falmer! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
go to bed

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Not when he talks about aftershave and other girlie cosmetics:safeway2:

Ice Man

Jan 5, 2006
Very good points made in your post BoF, BUT....

1. Micky only had the Zamora advantage because he saw his potential while Bobby was in Bristol Rovers reserves and signed him up, pure brilliance on Micky's part there.

2. When Micky was in charge, you didn't have so many players falling out with him, he was in total control of the team whereas McGhee has fallen out with a fair few and his man management skills are very questionable.

3. Yes McGhee has bought all these decent players for the future, but if McGhee keeps making his problems with some of the more troublesome players public then the youngsters will lose faith in him and won't believe they can achieve great things with Brighton.

The only thing I like about McGhee over Micky is that he's more loyal, I respect him for that.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
BarrelofFun said:
There seems to be this fascination with the Adams era and how things would be very different with him.

Adams was a decent manager, don't get me wrong - I was a big fan of his and gutted when he left us but he had one advantage over McGhee. Adams had Bobby Zamora! We were flying high and on the up with Bobby and without him we might well have been languishing in the lower reaches of League One or worse.

If you want to compare Adams and McGhee then you only have to look at their records at this level and above. I think you will find that McGhee stands out above Micky.

A lot of people seem to conveniently forget that we are now in our eigth season at Withdean and we have incurred more and more losses along the way as well as losing the backbone of our team.

We must focus on the positives. We have a group of bright young players who will only improve......

As for this "Adams attracted players....." McGhee has found us some decent signings - Frutos, Henderson, CKR etc. We are always going to be at the back of the queue with wages, and length of contract due to uncertainty of the stadium. We just have to bide our time and continue to develop our youngsters...

Gaining Falmer and the future is bright....

Oh and we will get Falmer! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Some managers have the pulling power.This escapes McGhee i reckon.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Ice Man said:
Very good points made in your post BoF, BUT....

1. Micky only had the Zamora advantage because he saw his potential while Bobby was in Bristol Rovers reserves and signed him up, pure brilliance on Micky's part there.

2. When Micky was in charge, you didn't have so many players falling out with him, he was in total control of the team whereas McGhee has fallen out with a fair few and his man management skills are very questionable.

3. Yes McGhee has bought all these decent players for the future, but if McGhee keeps making his problems with some of the more troublesome players public then the youngsters will lose faith in him and won't believe they can achieve great things with Brighton.

The only thing I like about McGhee over Micky is that he's more loyal, I respect him for that.

1. Zamora was/is a once off (in a generation) for a club like Brighton. How many teams unearth a player like Bobby and they 'make it' (debatable) in the top division? Yes, Micky did well in unearthing him. What about palying Virgo? We got the exact same amount for both of them and Coppell (v. good manager) had shiped him off to Exeter.

2. His man management skills may be questionable to most, but it is important that he sets a trend and disciplines players when they 'misbehave' or don't toe the line. The example must be set to the youngsters than unprofessional behaviour is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. It is up to us (as well) to condone the behaviour of the minority when they step out of line. There is no 'I' in team.

3. See above. They will learn that if they stay professional and work hard they will get the chance to impress and play first team football. YOu can't ask for anything fairer than that.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adams oversaw £100,000 being spent on Zamora.

McGhee did the same, for £150,000, on Turienzo.

End of thread.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not only did Adams bring Zamora to the party, he also flourished under him.

D

Deleted member 2719

Adams manages to form a relationship with the players, staff and the fans.

Has mcGhee done this?

He still got to do alot to gain my respect.

McGhee has not shown any loyalty as far as i can see.

What club has come in for him?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Tooting Gull said:
Adams oversaw £100,000 being spent on Zamora.

McGhee did the same, for £150,000, on Turienzo.

End of thread.

Are you allowing for inflation? :jester:

I am not saying that McGhee is perfect. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried to compare the two - as that was the whole point of the thread.

Easy and Mouldy. Very true, but the Zamora stuff is speculation. He oculd have been better or worse under McGhee.

Mouldy - I think you are being harsh (personally). He kept us in the Champs against all odds and then lost the backbone of his team throughout the season. He is our longest serving manager since Lloyd(?) and I think working under these conditions deserves respect whether anyone has come in for him or not......

1066gull

I think McGhee is better in getting investment out of a player.

Coppell only got £1.5 million for Zamora whilst we got the same for Virgo.

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
To be honest there's no comparison. Even if you forget about Zamora, Micky Adams built a team out of nothing. The core was Cullip, Oatway, Chippy and Bobby Z. If Mcghee is here for another 10 years he won't do anything like that

D

Deleted member 2719

BarrelofFun said:
Are you allowing for inflation? :jester:

I am not saying that McGhee is perfect. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried to compare the two - as that was the whole point of the thread.

Easy and Mouldy. Very true, but the Zamora stuff is speculation. He oculd have been better or worse under McGhee.

Mouldy - I think you are being harsh (personally). He kept us in the Champs against all odds and then lost the backbone of his team throughout the season. He is our longest serving manager since Lloyd(?) and I think working under these conditions deserves respect whether anyone has come in for him or not......

He knows it and alot of fans surely realise that alot of luck was involved that season and i must admit he made fewer mistakes that season-but the poor tactical and team selection errors he made last season were beyond belief at times last season, then for him to lose control of two of our best players LK and FDM gave us no chance of staying up IMO.

But has anyone approached the club for MM?

Is he being loyal or is it no club big enough wants him?

A total side issue i find his smile through his teeth very false just like the man himself.

Just an observation i just wonder if that because he is camara shy!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Adriodinho said:
I think McGhee is better in getting investment out of a player.

Coppell only got £1.5 million for Zamora whilst we got the same for Virgo.
Utter nonsense.
The manager has nothing to do with the price a player is sold for, everyone, including Spurs, knew we got mugged over Bobby.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Silent Bob said:
Utter nonsense.
The manager has nothing to do with the price a player is sold for, everyone, including Spurs, knew we got mugged over Bobby.
The rumour was that we were offered 5 million by Everton a year before we sold him to Spurs. When we sold him we were desperate, everyone knew that and we got a shit price

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here