Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My seagull in a chimney

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
We have seagulls nesting on our roof as we do every bloody year. Their nest is on a cluster of four chimney pots.

I am working in our newly decorated office (nice white and cream decor) which has a fireplace which has been cleared and is an empty hole with a a board slotted in at the chimney entrance to stop debris falling down.

I can now hear some scrabbling around just above the board and it seems that a baby seagull has fallen down. It's about as big as a blackbird now, but I don't think it can fly.

What shoud I do? Try and rescue it immediately but risk it flapping around the house in a blind panic, crapping everywhere or wait for it to die and then get it out. I've got loads of work to do today bebfore 5 (just checking the essential threads of NSC first) so I haven't got all day on this one.

Advice please.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I would try and rescue it. If it is injured, at least put it out of its misery. A swift stamp on its head should do the trick. Alternatively find out what has happened and call the RSPB, they will advise you or even come and rescue it.

You won't get any peace until it is gone or dead, so....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We had a few birds dropping down a chimney in our old house.

I'd get the poor thing out quickly, they don't normally panic and flap around, they're generally too scared to. The ones we've had have generally been OK after a while and we just put them straight outside.

And then get Dwayne's mate around to sweep the chimney. :)

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
But I've seen a newly decorated room TOTALLED by a pigeon once. It flew around banging into walls and windows, injuring itself and leaving bloodstains, soot and shit splattered everywhere.

OK - I'll move the filing cabinet out of the way and get the cover off then. I think I'll use the recycling box to try to catch it in as I slide the cover off. What is it's a big hairy rat though? Or something else? :nono:

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Light a fire. Barbecued seagull is considered a delicacy in some south american countries. Should be ready for a brunch.

Last edited:

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Muzzman said:
Like what, Father Christmas?

No it's not as big as FC. But it could be a small animal that was stolen from Druscillas by our French exchange student who went there yesterday. Like a meerkat or a penguin perhaps.

Filing cabinet is now emptied ready for moving it out of the hole that once was the fireplace...

Last edited:

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
No scrabbling for five minutes or so - maybe it's having a rest, or...

OK - I'M GOING IN.

Actually I think I'll change into my decorating clothes first - this could be messy.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Scrabbling's back - it sounds BIG! :eek:

I've taken one bit of board off but there's cardboard above. Loads of debris and dust dropping down so I'm going to get a plastic sheet to try to wrap around the fireplace before I take the whole thing out.

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
Deano's Right Foot said:
Scrabbling's back - it sounds BIG! :eek:

I've taken one bit of board off but there's cardboard above. Loads of debris and dust dropping down so I'm going to get a plastic sheet to try to wrap around the fireplace before I take the whole thing out.

Nuke it?

zefarelly

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
go and buy some smokeys from the builders merchants . . . . light it at the bottom and smoke the bastards out, if it doesn't get out at least it'll suffocate and die !

which reminds me . . .I must procure some industrial strength elastic for my new catapault project :eek:

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
All ready now - here goes...

Attachments

• image026.jpg
    image026.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,306

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bozza said:
This is good. Should keep me entertained until the 2pm game...

This is great - it's better than any game. :)

Have we alerted Rolf Harris yet?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here