CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
England leave out Lewis and Bell

The Bulletin by Andrew McGlashan

May 11, 2006

Toss news to follow

Andrew Flintoff leads a young England team © Getty Images

For the first time since they reclaimed the Ashes, England begin a home Test match as a manic 18 months starts with a three-match series against Sri Lanka. It is a very different England team which takes the field at Lord's following a winter of patchy results and lengthy injury lists.

Jon Lewis and Ian Bell have been left out of the final XI as Liam Plunkett takes the final pace bowling slot. There had been speculation that Monty Panesar could miss out, but with a good forecast for the match - the first morning was balmy in north-west London - his variation will be an important tool for Andrew Flintoff if the Sri Lankan batsmen get themselves settled. As yet Sri Lanka have not confirmed their XI and the toss will take place at 10.30.

Flintoff has spoken of the need for England to finally put the Ashes to bed, but with the next contest barely six months away thoughts will always be advancing forward. However, England will need to be careful not to slip up in the first part of their season as building momentum is vital and Sri Lanka can't be underestimated.

Four years ago, in the corresponding Test, they batted first in glorious weather and racked up 555 for 8. England were forced to follow-on and although they ultimately saved the Test comfortably, through Michael Vaughan and Mark Butcher, it was real warning for the team.

Like England, Sri Lanka have an inexperienced side built around four senior players - Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardene, Chaminda Vaas and Muttiah Muralitharan. They alone are all match-winners, but some of the younger brigade will have to come through and ease the burden.

England 1 Marcus Trescothick, 2 Andrew Strauss, 3 Alastair Cook, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Paul Collingwood, 6 Andrew Flintoff, 7 Geraint Jones (wk), 8 Liam Plunkett, 9 Sajid Mahmood, 10 Matthew Hoggard, 11 Monty Panesar

Sri Lanka (probable) 1 Michael Vandort, 2 Upul Tharanga, 3 Kumar Sangakkara (wk), 4 Mahela Jayawardene (capt), 5 Tillakaratne Dilshan, 6 Thilan Samaraweera, 7 Farvez Maharoof, 8 Chaminda Vaas, 9 Nuwan Zoysa, 10 Muttiah Muralitharan, 11 Lasith Malinga.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Extremely worrying that we have so much cricket and our bowlers are a bunch of sicknotes.

Good move playing Mahmood. Can be a real class act. I am hoping for an England victory, but severe failure from Geraint. Read should be our test keeper (Despite picky on Mushy :angry: )

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Read won't get in the side after yesterday I shouldn't think. Graveney was at the Sussex game and would have seen his little episode.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
didnt Mushy appeal 5 balls in a row against Reid and the umpire gave him out on the 5th appeal?

I assumed that was over appealing...but hey, its Sussex

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Dies Irae said:
didnt Mushy appeal 5 balls in a row against Reid and the umpire gave him out on the 5th appeal?

I assumed that was over appealing...but hey, its Sussex

''Started with Mushy over that went:-

Ball 1 - 4 over long off
Ball 2 - 4 over square leg
Ball 3 - huge lbw appeal - turned down
Ball 4 - huge lbw appeal - turned down
Ball 5 - huge lbw appeal - given by umpire Burgess
Ball 6 - huge appeal against Read for catch close in - mass celebrations and high fives - appeal turned down

Followed by 2 minute conversation between Mushy and umpire Burgess ending with Mushy proferring his hand to the ump.

Next Mushy over (or was it 2 overs later) Read given out lbw after another huge appeal - has word with umpire Burgess as he trudges off - gets to the top of the dressing room steps and hurls his equipment, stomps off to changing rooms. When Mushy finishes his over and assumes his fielding position in front of the dressing room he is harangued by Read and a 'discussion' develops. Skipper sees what is happening and runs off. Meanwhile Read is being led away up the steps by Bicknell (I think). Skipper goes up the steps where Read is now having a 'conversation' with a spectator down below. Things quickly subside after that.

Meanwhile another wicket for Mushy again lbw given by Burgess!''

It seems Notts kept padding up to Mushy and getting done by his googly.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
England won the toss and elected to bat first
Ohhh good, just tuned in to SS1 to see the Lovely Michael Holding but i missed the toss.

I love it...

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Looking forward to the 45 minute highlights (including adverts) this evening:nono:

England first innings 21 for 0 (9 overs)
ME Trescothick not out 10
AJ Strauss not out 9
Extras
0b 1lb 0w 1nb 2
TOTAL: 0 wkts , 9 overs 21

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
50 is up

52-0 is a good start for England:clap: :clap: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here