Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

worthing fc "The Rebels" so when/what was the rebellion ?

Sir Royston thorne

Jun 27, 2004
I have had the misfortune to live almost my entire life in Worthing. But I never had the guts to ask, why are worthing fc called "Rebels" I can't imagine Morty Hollis and the other codgers rebelling against anything..any ideas out there ? :dunce:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Was it a split from Town or United ?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I think they meant
revels35g.jpg

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Don't know but we are playing them on the 8th of July (as per their website).
Any other friendlies confirmed?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...or Bognor called the Rocks, or Horsham the Hornets...who knows?

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The only way you can get Rebels from Revels, just about, is if you say it with a pronounced Brummy accent, big question is, was the club founded by a wayward midlander?

sullyupthewing

Jul 5, 2003
brighton and worthing
Sir Royston thorne said:
I have had the misfortune to live almost my entire life in Worthing. But I never had the guts to ask, why are worthing fc called "Rebels" I can't imagine Morty Hollis and the other codgers rebelling against anything..any ideas out there ? :dunce:
I have often wondered why, maybe it was something to do with the riot they had in the town many many years ago.
ps, have you ever thought of moving.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
You might have something there, that could be why Horsham are called the Hornets, I think Storrington were called the Swans, begs the question how Deportivo Wanka in Peru got their name?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
and why were the Albion called the Dolphins?

Dolphins? When was the last time you saw a dolphin off the beach? ???

Stendahl

May 5, 2004
'The following year (1920-21) we (Worthing) helped found the Sussex County League and resigned from the West Sussex League in protest at a rule change.' - Taken from the official website history.

I don't know about rebellious, but Worthing is certainly revolting.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Downloaded Penguin said:

Simple. Originally we were called the Shrimps but that nickname is also used by Southend and in the 70s it was decided that the team needed a slightly more macho nickname. At the time the Sealife Centre actually had performing Dolphins and (maybe partly to do with the success of Don Shula's Miami Dolphins at that time) the name was changed.

However, the name never really stuck and the actualy dolphins were sent to a bigger faciity overseas as they were quite literally dying of boredom. Then along come some chaves (before chavs even existed) from South London who were grunting 'Beagles' so to annoy them even more after beating them the 'Dolphins' became the now famous 'Seagulls'.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Downloaded Penguin said:

wasnt that to do with the aquirium that was also founded at a similar time to brighton

Last edited:

hornet

Mar 9, 2005
Horsham
I think Horsham are called the Hornets after a vote amongst the fans back in the 60's or 70's. I guess Hornets went well with Horsham.

There is a rumour that they were considering 'Queens' as a nickname due to us playing at Queen Street. :ohmy:

I'm glad they didn't go for that one!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here