Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WHO is Ray Bloom?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Ok, to cut a long story short, i have only properly supported this club for roughly 6 years, and apart from reading something about shares in the Argus a couple of years back i know naff all about the bloke.

Anyone care to fill me in?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
From the Argus Archives:

GoodBean, the coffee house chain started three years ago by Sussex entrepreneur Ray Bloom, has been bought by Coffee Republic.

The London-based espresso bar chain is paying £800,000 in shares to acquire the group and taking on debts of £400,000.

GoodBean is a family-run business. Mr Bloom is chairman and his wife Claudine and their daughters Carina and Natalie are directors.

Its head office is in Palmeira Square, Hove, and it has 19 premises across the South East as well as branches in Yeovil, Manchester and Shrewsbury. They will all be rebranded.

GoodBean's first coffee house was in Nile Street, Brighton, followed by Bond Street and Trafalgar Street. The firm also has an outlet in Eastbourne.

Mr Bloom, a director of Brighton and Hove Albion, said: "We believe Coffee Republic is the best national brand in our sector and entirely compatible with what our customers have become used to.

"The GoodBean bars in Brighton are naturally close to the hearts of the family.

"In recognition of this special Brighton link, Coffee Republic is donating a day's takings at the Nile Street branch to the Martlets Hospice and we are matching the amount with a donation.

"This is our way of acknowledging the city in which GoodBean began and the place which means so much to all of us."

Mr Bloom's family will become shareholders of Coffee Republic.

GoodBean employs 110 people.

Coffee Republic hopes to retain bar staff and put them through its own training programme.

Chief executive Peter Morris said "We are aware of the good reputation and loyal customer following of GoodBean and we very much look forward to matching it."

The acquisition takes the total of Coffee Republic bars in the UK to more than 100.

The chain was started in 1995 with the first bar in South Molton Street, London.

Mr Morris, who joined the firm from Disney in April, said his business was "leading the consolidation process" in the market.

He said: "In the UK, you have Coffee Republic, Starbucks, Costa and Nero.

"Then there are 15 independent operators who manage 350 bars."

The deal was announced as Coffee Republic reported it had managed to cut losses during the first half of its financial year.

Improved food ranges and 19 new bars helped turnover jump by 33 per cent in the six months to September 30 to £12.9 million.

Pre-tax losses were £775,000 compared with a loss of £1.3 million in the same period last year.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
That is interesting DP - the bloke clearly has some cash..

So what happened with him in the Archer era?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Again from the Argus Archives:

ALBION have eliminated fears that Ray Bloom's return to the Board could strengthen the hand of former chairman Bill Archer.

An FA-approved shareholders agreement prevents Bloom and Archer joining forces against new chairman Dick Knight, the Argus can reveal.

Bloom, 52, rejoined the Board last week, pledging to invest "several hundred thousand pounds" in exchange for a 16 per cent shareholding.

His return has been broadly welcomed by fans' representatives, but others have questioned Knight's wisdom in letting back on board Archer's former ally.

The shareholders agreement, a key part of the takeover deal brokered by the Football Association following Knight's bitter feud with Archer, acts as a safety valve in the event of dispute.

It gives the Knight consortium or Archer the right to object to any major decision. If they do the matter is then referred to the non-executive directors, Sir John Smith and Richard Faulkner.

Finance director Bob Pinnock said: "Ray coming in doesn't change things. Dick and Bill still have the same right to object if he sided with either of them."

Pinnock says Knight and Archer have each relinquished eight per cent to give Bloom his 16 per cent shareholding. That means the Knight consortium now has 41.5 per cent of the shares and Archer 41.5 per cent, with director Martin Perry retaining the one per cent balance of power.

Bloom was a director for 12 years until quitting in October 1996 after Archer had sold the Goldstone.

Ian Hart, co-editor of the outspoken former Albion fanzine Gull's Eye, said: "If Ray was against the sale of the Goldstone why did he sit in a fans meeting with us and back Archer, why didn't he join the other directors in condemning Archer and why did he keep on sitting in the directors' box with David Bellotti, taking all that abuse?

"I am astounded by the reaction of the fans' representatives. They seem to be suffering from SSMS - Selective Seagull Memory Syndrome. How can they sweep under the carpet what has gone on?"

Former director John Campbell said: "Ray is a 100 per cent football person and he is 100 per cent Albion. The concern I would have is his ability to switch horses."

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
And again:

Let's talk to Purdew
From the archive, first published Thursday 25th Mar 1999.

BILL Archer, Albion's biggest shareholder, says Stephen Purdew's offer to invest a fortune in the club should be taken seriously.

Former chairman Archer meets today with his successor Dick Knight, the Argus can reveal.

One of the topics under discussion will be Purdew's pledge to pump millions of pounds into the club in return for a controlling interest.

Archer said he was unaware of Purdew's interest until the Argus contacted him.

"Dick asked for a meeting, because we have not been in touch for a while," he said. "I don't know what the agenda is, but I would think it is certain he is going to mention the Stephen Purdew situation.

"With any offer you have to look at what is for the good of the club. You should never kick it into touch until you explore it fully.

"We have got to have a new stadium and if there are people around to invest in the club we should look at every aspect seriously."

Archer has now recovered from a serious illness.

He no longer has a controlling interest in Albion and has resigned from the Board.

But he is still the single biggest shareholder, with a 41.25 per cent stake following the takeover deal thrashed out with Knight and the return of Ray Bloom.

"Since my illness I have been a passive shareholder," said Archer. "I have still got around £1.5 million invested in the club and Dick and the new Board are now running it.

"I've had to take things easy and I have been out of touch in day-to-day terms. My health will determine whether I pick up the cudgels again.

"I've said to Dick I will support them financially providing the club is going in the right direction.

"I will leave my money in if there is a way forward, with the Council's support. I have left it in for two years now since the takeover when everybody thought I was going to take it out."

Nick Rowe, Albion's general manager, said: "Dick and Bob Pinnock (finance director) are going to the meeting, which has been arranged for some time. That is all we have got to say at the moment."

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Interesting, might have to have a look around the Argus archives then.

I assume there is no chance of the Purdew bloke being the investor?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Withdean Wanderer said:
Interesting, might have to have a look around the Argus archives then.

I assume there is no chance of the Purdew bloke being the investor?

What would have happened if Purdew had invested money all those years ago?

What incentive has any prospective investor got for pouring money in the club when the cannot have a controlling interest? Imagine if Chelski had said to Abramovich he wouldn't be allowed to have a controlling interest... I'm not saying the investor in question has that sort of money but we are limiting ourselves to people who are happy just to give the Albion a "gift" without any reward?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
BarrelofFun said:
My father knows him through various people. (Not Archer) and he is meant to be a nice chap.

Although, when money is concerned, nice chap can go out of the window....

Ray is a family friend and I have sat with him a few times at matches.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Downloaded Penguin said:
Ray is a family friend and I have sat with him a few times at matches.

Perhaps my father knows your father...

I used to fancy Carina. She was about 3 years above me at school, if I remember correctly. :blush:

Last edited:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
BarrelofFun said:
Perhaps my father knows you....

This is a possibility. Maybe my father knows your father...

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Downloaded Penguin said:

What incentive has any prospective investor got for pouring money in the club when the cannot have a controlling interest?

The last person who had a controlling interest was Archer. Hence the board restructuring to ensure it never happened again.

I don't think we should undo that structure just because soemone starts waggling money at us; which they may not even be doing at the moment!

If someone knows the history of the club and wants to put money in for the RIGHTreasonshey ought to appreciate why we have the governing structure that we do, respect it and work within it.

Dandyman

In London village.
from "Gulls Eye" Issue No.75 December 1994:

Back in the summer of 1986, amid great trumpeting at Brighton's Dome Theatre the club announced Lifeline...this was to be the launching pad of funds for the manager, then Alan Mullery, to buy players. Such Directors as Bryan Bedson, Dudley Sizen, Ray Bloom and John Campbell were prime movers...Those there will recall Ray Bloom announcing that the club was now balancing its books and there were exciting times ahead...the same Ray Bloom who was in the High Court last year ...on behalf of the club to fend off a winding up petition."

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Uncle Buck said:
She was in theory in my year, but I had remembered to leave the institutionalised hell hole by then.

I went to my first Albion match in 1979 with a blonde girl called Carina. Leeds 0-0, got chased across the park and my mate gote a beating. happy days:ohmy:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Ray is a very nice guy and a real fan. Was proud to be his guest at a game last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here