Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] McGhee 99% likely to leave by end of week!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Albion manager Mark McGhee is on the brink of parting company with the club.

McGhee now seems increasingly likely to become a victim of a boardroom power struggle, revolving around relegated Albion's precarious finances.

Chairman Dick Knight and chief executive Martin Perry have become isolated in their staunch support of McGhee, with Derek Chapman refusing to offer the manager his public backing.

Chapman and fellow director Ray Bloom are thought to have sided with a major investor, who is leading a campaign to oust McGhee from his post.

The Argus revealed on Monday that Albion's board is split over whether McGhee should remain in charge.

Chapman, the natural successor to Knight, has rejected the opportunity to give McGhee his support.

Asked where he stands over the manager's future, he said: "The answer is no comment. I am sure we will spin a coin and sort something out.

"It's got to be sorted out quickly, which I am sure it will be, because it is not fair on anybody."

A further meeting is expected to take place this week between Knight and the investor, who shows no signs of waivering.

Knight has been trying to persuade him that getting rid of McGhee would be a knee-jerk reaction to Albion's relegation from the Championship.

McGhee is being linked with a position as reserve clown in Bily Smart's circus.

Forcing McGhee out will also cost the cash-strapped Seagulls, as they will be obliged to pay up his contract which still has a year to run.

Under the terms of his contract he is entitled to two dozen custard pies each week on top of his salary,

Father-of-two Chapman, 48, joined the board in 1999, when Albion moved back to Brighton to play home matches at Withdean after two years groundsharing with Gillingham.

The millionaire chairman of the Hove-based Adenstar Construction Group often pilots his own helicopter to fly to games from his home in Falmer.

Chapman, an Albion fan since 1968, lives a mile from the site of Albion's proposed new stadium at Falmer.

He revealed last year he was mounting his own legal challenge against Lewes District Council's ongoing attempt to derail the stadium plans.

Bloom, 59, a successful businessman in the exhibitions industry, has a chequered history on the Albion board. Son of the late Harry Bloom, a former vice-chairman of the club, he joined the board himself in 1984.

Bloom angered fans by initially staying loyal to despised former chairman Bill Archer. He refused to sign a statement by other directors publicly condemning Archer, who had overseen the controversial sale of the Goldstone Ground.

Bloom eventually quit the board in October 1996, urging Archer to resume takeover negotiations with Knight.

He rejoined the board in November 1998 and later opened the Good Bean Coffee chain.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
El Presidente said:

Bloom angered fans by initially staying loyal to despised former chairman Bill Archer. He refused to sign a statement by other directors publicly condemning Archer, who had overseen the controversial sale of the Goldstone Ground.

Bloom eventually quit the board in October 1996, urging Archer to resume takeover negotiations with Knight.

He rejoined the board in November 1998 and later opened the Good Bean Coffee chain.

I never stopped being angry with him, as I am still suspicious of his motives at the Albion :angry: Has he picked the right side THIS time???

Last edited:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
If he goes how much will it cost us to buy out his contract - £250K? That's money that we could have spent on players or wages. And all because Chapman and Bloom are trying to stitch up Knight.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Adriodinho said:
Woke up to some FANTASTIC news.:clap2:

What's that ? You've had your first wet dream ?

Any danger we could some GOOD news for a change ?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Would obviously be great news. Sad that McGhee's arrogance is forcing the club to part with so much money, but better that we sack him and see some return from it than piss it away on some McGhee joke buy.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This runs deeper than getting rid of McGhee I reckon, and it may not be the good news that it may appear to some.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This is not good news - if DK loses power to an Archer supporter, the club is really in trouble. Any Albion supporter who cheers this news must be some kind of moron.

BTW, have the Argus stopped employing subs now or just using ones who can't spell "wavering"?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Jim D said:
If he goes how much will it cost us to buy out his contract - £250K? That's money that we could have spent on players or wages. And all because Chapman and Bloom are trying to stitch up Knight.

You think McGhee is on £250k a year?

:ohmy:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Does Ray Bloom deserve the benefit of the doubt? His father, I believe, was on the board before him and he may well have stuck around during the Archer reign to keep tabs on their actions.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Wehn I said GOOD news I didn't mean whether McGhee stays or not but more the rift in the boardroom which is likely to have serious reprocusions.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
The McGhee out news is absolutely fantastic, best Albion news in a long time... However, in my opinion Chapman & Bloom should be paying up his contract from their own pockets and not the clubs... None of this would be happening if Magoo had done the decent thing and walked when he should have done after our FA Cup exit.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
BarrelofFun said:
Does Ray Bloom deserve the benefit of the doubt? His father, I believe, was on the board before him and he may well have stuck around during the Archer reign to keep tabs on their actions.

Nice try but no. I don't think anyone around then could possibly have doubted whether Archer and his pet monkey's intention were good.

And his father was part of the boards whose cock-ups led to Archer taking over in the first place. Not a recommendation I'd have thought.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Icy Gull said:

Archer pulled the wool over a hell of a lot of GOOD peoples eyes, he was a liar, and according to my old man who met him several times, a very convincing liar.

I think we have to wait and see what happens, but any investment in the club at this stage has to be a good thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here