Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ramblers - A rant!

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
On the road between Beddingham and Newhaven LDC have built a f**king great bridge so that ramblers, YES RAMBLERS, can cross the road safely. It looks absolutely ridiculous next to some lovely old farm houses. Will probably be used by about 30 people a week and must have cost about 200 grand. I am frankly angry that my council tax being spent on ramblers when it could be much better spent fighting a stadium that will be used by 15,000 people a week.

I hate ramblers so much. They do the same bloody walks every week and yet still take maps. W**kers.

I'm getting angry. I'm going for a walk to clear my head.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patreon
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i too hate ramblers

they do nothing but go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I expect it was paid for by an EU grant. :(

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
saw that monster great bridge for the first time this afternoon on the way to newhaven. couldn't believe the size of the embankment either. didn't realise it was just for walking over!

ps. what is it with ramblers and the need to go equipped to scale fecking mount everest? only i walk the dog on top of the downs most days and there they are, crampons, ice axes, frightening looking boots, maps in little plastic baggies, kendal sodding mint cake and they are only up firle flippin' beacon! not k2. pshaw!!!

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
When I came that way a few months back I did a double take at the bridge supports that were in place and thought they couldn't be for a pedestrian bridge as they wouldn't have looked out of place on a motorway flyover! Haven't seen the finished article but surely the demand can't be such as to justify such a structure?

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
roz said:
saw that monster great bridge for the first time this afternoon on the way to newhaven. couldn't believe the size of the embankment either. didn't realise it was just for walking over!

ps. what is it with ramblers and the need to go equipped to scale fecking mount everest? only i walk the dog on top of the downs most days and there they are, crampons, ice axes, frightening looking boots, maps in little plastic baggies, kendal sodding mint cake and they are only up firle flippin' beacon! not k2. pshaw!!!

I KNOW.

We were mystified as to what is was for weeks as it doesn't appear to go or lead anywhere...!

Back on the ramblers subject i used to work with a fella who rambled (for Polegate i believe!). If he was 'leading' a walk he would have a day off work on the Thursday before to 'walk out the route'. This was to make sure there were no puddles were in the way or fences down. He also told me that cameras were banned as they slowed up the group...

Fun?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I quite like the look of the bridge -- not all concrete and steel but some nice wood and a pleasing sort of arch. Take another look at the farm buildings ... they're falling down.

That's a pretty nasty stretch of road to cross for anyone walking that stretch of the downs so maybe it will save some lives. Don't think beardy ramblers with waterproof maps, think families with young kids.

I'm for the bridge!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm all for anything that makes it easier to cross busy roads. And as someone who's been on several walking holidays, I have a lot of time for ramblers.

I'd never have described myself as one though: for a start, I have no beard and I've never eaten Kendal sodding mint cake.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I am what I like to call a walker rather than a rambler, and proud of it.

I don't need a bridge to cross the Bedingham to Newhaven road, thank you very much.

I don't do the same walk all the time. In fact make a point of NOT repeating the same walk.

I'm "leading" a walk at present, but fortunately don't need to take a day off ahead of time to "walk the route". All I need to do is decide on the meeting and transport arrangements and, most importantly, the pub where we're having lunch. And puddles don't phase us.

All we take is a map (useful for getting to your destination) and rain gear if the weather looks inclement. No crampons for us!

And I've never heard of kendal mint cake ...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
goldstone said:
I'm "leading" a walk at present

So why are you posting on NSC then :lolol: :lolol:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
As a veteran of the A23 / A27 Bridge Sign Campaign, and not having seen this new bridge you're on about, would you say this bridge is a prime site for a Falmer sign ?

With paintbrush and hardboard at the ready.....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
goldstone said:
No crampons, but carry my laptop on all walks!!

So is your laptop powered by kendal mint cake ???

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Eggmundo said:
You can't put a price on safety.

Right Kids !

Didn't it take years to put the bridge in at Lancing to cross the A27

Don't know about that bridge, but its probably sanctioning a "right of way". That's right an established right of way of British citizens to follow a route we have been using for a millenium. Routes we were using before cars, b4 motoways, b4 by passes.

The problem is not the bridge, the problem is you my son, for not supporting people protecting our rights, which all over the country have been lost to the land owners and vested interests of this country.

LC

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm always mightily impressed by those highly detailed Country Walks in the Argus , y'know the one that take seven and three quarter hours with a stop for refreshments halfway round. Take the second stile on the left and proceed 550 yards to Old Todger Farm, that kind of thing. Anybody ever done one?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I used to do a lot of walks all over the downs etc. I wish the ramblers would not interfere with the countryside. Sticking a great big bridge up! :nono:

If they want to walk that course, then they should jolly well risk crossing a road or make an underpass instead.

Is it an eyesore? I thought the Downsmen were against the stadium, as it was an eyesore!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here