Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg's Film Club

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am starting Uncle Spielberg's Film Club. A thread will be posted every Monday with films seen over the previous week by members of NSC either at the cinema on dvd or video with a rating out of 10.

I will start with my weekends viewings.

Flightplan - not much in the dvd store so I got this as I love Jodie Foster. It had very average reviews generally but got a resonable 6.1 on imdb. It was actually slightly better than I thought it would be and overall worth the £ 3.50. No earthmover but a reasonable way of passing 2 hours. Foster as ever was very good. 6.3

Bewitched - I did point out to the guy in the dvd store " I want to make it clear this is not my choice " and I am glad I did this. What Utter Gash, the 60's tv show is pretty good but this was a complete waste of everyone's time including mine. Ferrell was so annoying I wanted to put my fist through the screen. Pointless , I like some girly films such as Must Love Dogs and have even been known to watch Ghost but this was rubbish 2.8

My next hire is the strange looking Hobeken Hollow which looks pretty mental.

What have you viewed over the last week ???

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I watched Hitch last night on Sky and have to say that I really enjoyed it. Romantic comedy which had me laughing on several occaasions and left me and the missus feeling all gooey.

Well Played Will Smith. 7/10

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
War Of The Worlds

Glad to see they put Wells' 'red dust' in. Couldn't understand how the EMP effect at the start hadn't fried digital camcorders. Thought the inevitable 'Cruise lays out a tripod in an Empire Strikes Back Stylee act of heroism and inginuity' bit was entertaining but silly. Overall the attempts to add emotional depth to the sci-fi genre lacked emotional depth.

War of the Worlds was updated in a more entertaining fashion by 'Independence Day'

The Relic

Tripe

Last edited:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Saw: 8.5

Very entertaining, even though I knew what happened in the end.

Freddy Vs Jason: 7

Midly amusing slasher flick

Tom Yum Goong: 7

Not as good as Ong Bak, but some great fight scenes.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
godfather II on thursday evening and rober bresson's au hazard balthazar last night.

two very different films, nothing needs to be said about GF II but AHB was an interesting if somewhat disappointing cult film from the 60's.

not a patch on bewitched i'm sure.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Brought last week

King Kong 2005
Superb remake, good story, good acting, marvelous scenes, a superb beast. :clap:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Uncle Spielberg said:
Brought last week

King Kong 2005
Superb remake, good story, good acting, marvelous scenes, a superb beast. :clap:
I thought this was poor. It was far too long; took over an hour before you even saw King Kong. At times it resembled a computer game. It was made by the bloke who directed Lord of the Rings wasn't it. For me, it's a clear case of the film company giving him too much time and money... self indulgent wank.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
National Treasure

Nicholas Cage plays, er Nicholas Cage pulls a blonde stunner and finds some treasure. Or something. Sean Bean plays, guess what, an English baddie. If anyone really can’t wait for the Devinci code (plot identical) get this out on DVD, otherwise tidy your sock draw or do something more interesting.

Dull and predictable. Toilet. 3.5 out of 10.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
'Eastenders'

Set in East London, where poor people and the occasional gangstar hang out. Ross Kemp delights as the charming Grant opposite Steve McFadden who overacts in every scene. Dave Hill plays Bert in a village idiot role and is at the head of nearly all of the japes carried out by hapless goons Jim Branning and Joe Macer.

Not bad for a Sunday afternoon though it seems omewhat unfinished.

6.4/10

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs:

I am sure the first time I saw this it was a cartoon, but it has been a few years since then. I was surprised that the film was now in German rather than English, and that the wicked queen gave Snow White a vegetable rather than an apple, but it did make her close her eyes and smile a lot.

As for the Seven Dwarfs, not one of them could be classified as Bashful.

As with all fairy tales, it ended up with the handsome prince kissing Snow White to wake her from the spell, and then hanging out the back of her and grunting for about 15 minutes whilst the dwarfs applauded his efforts.

Overall mark 7.2

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am planning to see

Eight Below

at the cinema this week. A heart warming family tale about a bunch of huskies left stranded on an arctic station. Review to follow.

Have seen Ice Age 2 - The Meltdown, its a big thumbs up 7.9 :thumbsup:

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Red Eye - 6/10

Enjoyable thriller, the baddy has uber spooky eyes, gritty, made me jump a couple of times. Good film, ending a bit far fetched, but you don't have to think much thru it, just sit back and ride along with it.

Panic Room - 8/10

Was on tv the other day and having watched it already thoroughly enjoyed it the second time around aswell. Jodie Foster is fantastic, the kid pretty good and when he gets his hand caught in the door OUCH!! Always makes me cringe. Cracking thriller.

Garden State - 7/10

Zack Branf of Scrubs fame stars and directs this one. An enjoyable 'journey of discovery' film. Bloke goes back to hometown for mothers funeral meets up with a few people he hasn't seen in a long time, comes to terms with his feelings nice happy ending. Not as good as The Station Agent or Good Girl, but well worth the watch. Had one laugh wrenching moment when he's waiting in the hospital and gains the amorous attentions of an Alsatian Guide Dog. Had to stop the DVD for a couple of minutes as we couldn't stop laughing.

Grizz

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Red Eye was pony 4.4

Panic Room 7.0 - good

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Passion of the Christ - That man takes one hell of a beating 7.7 - good film, a pilgramige for those who already believe, too violent

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Thumbsucker - Not great but interesting, quite unlike anything I have seen before. Character development was a bit all over the place but the acting was good (amazingly Keanu Reeves was particularly entertaining) and it was quite funny and downbeat in equal measure. Plus there is a fit bird with nice big titties in it.
7/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here