Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advantage Gold - free travel insurance

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I was not unpleasantly surprised to hear that, even if you don't use a NatWest card to pay for a holiday, you're automatically covered for travel insurance if you have a NatWest Advantage Gold account.

Is this a bit of a scam or am I looking a gift horse in the mouth? I've got a policy number - shared by EVERYONE who has the account, apparently ??? - and an emergency contact number, like with proper insurance. If it is worth having then it's certainly an improvement over the "6 kids for the price of 5 at Thorpe Park" they used to offer with that account.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
i hope your 6 kids enjoyed the trip!

the answer is yes it is true, but be careful. i'm covered on that same scheme (through coutts) and it's well worth checking the small print!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm very unclear, for example, whether I'm covered for skiing or not. And the rather inappropriately-joshing northern bloke I spoke to on the phone about it didn't inspire much confidence either. If I'm hanging off a mountain with one leg missing, I don't want the Chuckle Brothers to turn up.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
No, I think you're right to be worried. They've never come over as being highly trained in helicopter rescue techniques.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
NatWest are, and always have been, total cunts.

So I'd be very wary and get myself separate cover anyway, if I were you.

I've had an Advantage Gold account for about five years now - when I've finally paid off the £20,000 I owe them in loans and overdraft :)shootself), I'll be switching accounts.

The Advantage Gold account is the biggest rip-off around.

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
Originally posted by afters
the answer is yes it is true, but be careful. i'm covered on that same scheme (through coutts) and it's well worth checking the small print!

afters, avoid the habit of falling in to the popular trap of using popular cliches. With insurance cover there is no "small print", but there is policy wording.

Small print appears at the bottom of an advert and is usually only legible if viewed through a magnifying glass. This can never be levied at insurance policies.

The policy will never be in small print, but will be in regular readable text. The term "small print" is usually used by those people who can not be arsed to put aside a couple of hours to read a contract that not only binds them, but also the insurer.

My advice to you Man of Harveys is to obtain a copy of the policy wording and to set aside some time to read it. If there is anything that you are not sure of, call the underwriter. They will be only too happy to explain anything to you.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here