Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

music for the soul

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
not everyone in hiphop has sold out.

guy who produced most of the classic Jay Z album blueprint, kayne west's first video.

Thank god someone thrust into the mainstream is sticking to his principles....Legend.

Kayne West - Through the wire

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Motown Records

Philly Soul Classics

Proper soul, from the 60s and 70s where people actually made soulful music.

Agree that most hip-hop has sold out and only a few true innovators remain.

Only an opinion, but I reckon original is best. Anything on early Island Records (Fire Island?) also sounds fresh still to this day. All modern day RnB isn't a patch on all this stuff, and even the soulful vocals on US Garage and UK House are reminiscent of it.

Enjoy! :thumbsup2

P.S. Dwayne, that Kayne West one ain't bad at all.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
errr I do know motown, I'm a musical geek, I have every Motown album (original) EVER made, and hundreds of singles. I love soul, you've gotta progress though, no good looking behind all the time.

Do u recognise the sample in the kayne west song?? classic video too, paid for it out of his own pocket.

Attachments

• Norman Wisdom banner at the Amex.jpeg
    Norman Wisdom banner at the Amex.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 1,534

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
f***ing hell! More than me, then.

I've all the Supremes, Marvin Gaye etc stuff, and the Motown Chartbusters 1-12. From the Philly soul era I'm struggling a bit, with only stuff like the O'Jays and Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes. A bit of the 3 Degrees would go down nice when I get the money to spend. Need to get all the original Tamla Motown 7" and 12" after getting a record player about 5 weeks ago.

Progression is important, yeah, but bringing back things from the past and incorporating it in a new genre isn't bad. On the front of Mixmag recently there was a CD of "disco 'n bass" which was quality, if not 100% original. Still what I regard as progression.

That sample... sounds damn high a voice. But female (i.e. not a young Michael Jackson). Minnie Riperton-like? You'll have to help me...

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Any idea what the sample is in "Regulate" by Warren G/Nate Dogg? Been bugging me for ages.

Attachments

• Nathan Jones leads Brighton to a vital win at Fulham.jpg
    Nathan Jones leads Brighton to a vital win at Fulham.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 442

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
dwayne said:
errr I do know motown, I'm a musical geek, I have every Motown album (original) EVER made, and hundreds of singles. I love soul, you've gotta progress though, no good looking behind all the time.

Do u recognise the sample in the kayne west song?? classic video too, paid for it out of his own pocket.

LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE

Attachments

• Schelotto Izquierdo.png
    Schelotto Izquierdo.png
    673.2 KB · Views: 1,137

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
nope!!!

Come on Motown was 1 of the biggest labels in the world, it was a piece of piss getting all the albums, plus my mum and dad gave me quite a few evry single on the other hand........

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
mate, im gonna trust u on this one, but it means u got a pretty hefty collection- lots of those records are going for a ton+. teena marie and rare earth esp.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
I've gotta get me down some car boot sale sooner or later to stock up on Tamla Motown stuff.

My Mum and Dad got me into it too... there's something wrong there. Something very similar to when I say that I'm off to the Honey Club, and Mum says "is that for Hed Kandi night?". ???

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
charity shops are good sources, although you cannot beat the good old U,S of A for record shopping (especially New York)

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Next night at the Honey Club is Disco Heaven on Friday 25th July, with Back to Love in room 2. Will be there :thumbsup2

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
how the f*** does ur old dear know about it??

Because she's only 40! Which is hardly old... she had disco in the late 70s in her schooldays and loves it all.

She will never, ever, come out clubbing with me though. Big no no. :smokin:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here