Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Robert Eaton Memorial Fund - updated 11 September 2003

The Robert Eaton Memorial Fund

The Robert Eaton Memorial Fund was born out of the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Centre in New York City.

Robert Eaton, a lifelong Brighton and Hove Albion fan tragically lost his life in the disaster. Rob was a regular user of North Stand Chat, and Albion supporters and NSC Users decided to set up the fund in his memory, raising money for disadvantaged young people in the UK and abroad who wish to play football, but find it difficult to do so without help.

The Robert Eaton Memorial Fund has raised over £40,000 so far, and bought kit and equipment for Los Peladitos, a youth football team in Rob Eaton's adopted city of New York.

You can find out more about the work of REMF and Los Peladitos on the REMF website:-

Robert Eaton Memorial Fund homepage

Website address updated - 9 April 2010

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Robert Eaton Memorial Fund Update 11/9/03

I thought everyone would like to know the latest news on the Robert Eaton Memorial Fund since 11/9/01 on this important day 2 years on.

As you know the fund has provided for a whole years support to Los Peladitos in New York with 230 kits, 150 balls etc. We have agree to support for the 2nd year and are finalising matters to provide further equipment and subs fees. This has made a huge difference to the club in Queens I can tell you and all thanks to Steve McMahon and Paul Neal in NYC for organising this.

In the last year we have raised around £ 4000 from the 2nd football match, 2nd Golf Day, Auction 3 and marathon runs. The fund has therefore raised around £ 45000 since 11/9/01.

In the future we are planning 4 main sources of new income which will be The Robert Eaton Memorial Trophy Match 3, Brighton supporters against Crystal Palace supporters hopefully at Withdean, The Robert Eaton Memorial Golf Match 3, Brighton supporters against Crystal Palace supporters, Auction 4 prior to Christmas and further marathon runs.

We have met with the Eaton family and we and they are looking to bring the fund into the UK. We will be looking to offer financial support to football clubs for children between 5-16 in the Brighton and Sussex areas to compliment and twin up with the club in New York and will also consider a Croydon club in recognition of the huge support from CPFC. These clubs must fulfil the REMF " mission statement " of helping underpriviledged children to play football in the memory of Robert Eaton and will all be vetted accordingly ".

It is our vision to be able to support clubs in the memory of Robert and maybe one day these clubs can play against each other.

Everyone can be very proud of what we have achieved especially NSC where the impetus came from on those dark days after 11/9/01. Special recognition must go to the lads at Crystal Palace and Kevin Risby because this fund would not have achieved what it has without their help.

You can check the latest news on the website - www.remf.net and look out for further updates. If anyone wants to help please contact me, Roz or Lord Bracknell.

Robert - RIP - From your friends on NSC.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Well done and thankyou from me to all those who have set up and contributed in any way to this brilliant fund. :clap:

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
i think robert would be immensly proud that such a tragic and terrible thing has led to a group of people that, most of whom only knew each other as alias' on a message board, getting together and making the world a better place for these underprivilaged kids...

bloody well done to all involved. makes me proud to be a football supporter.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
Fantastic achievement by all involved with the fund. I heard on Southern FM this morning mention Robert Eaton and the funds plans to help children in the UK. This again reminds why I am a proud Brighton and Hove Albion fan.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Events like this generate a great deal of well-meaning comments in which people pledge their support and commit to organising various events to remember the tragic events. Very few of these are carried through to produce a lasting memorial to what happened.

It makes me very proud to read Gareth's post above to see exactly what has been achieved by those who have worked so hard in memory of Robert Eaton.

Thank you guys for having the commitment and strength to do what you have done.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Fantastic achievement from one who knew Rob well - congratulations to everyone who's played a part, and a special mention to those Palace fans who've rallied to the cause. I would heartily back the idea of a Croydon team benefiting.

Gary Nelson

Jul 25, 2003
Hove
Well spoken on S*****rn FM this morning Gareth. Huge effort so far. Dates for the game 3rd, are we planinng next year sometime due to the weather scenario again?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Gary - We are planning all future REMF matches to be played after the final Albion home game at hopefully Withdean and then in 3 years time at Falmer !.

Huge thanks to Dick Knight, Martin Perry, Dave Baker manager of the Withdean Stadium and Ecovert as well. I hope they will allow the facilities again at Withdean for April/May 2004. I will keep you updated.

G

It's a real chest puffing misty eyed moment.

Two years have gone so quickly.

We will never let him be forgotten.

Well done to everyone.

Gary Nelson

Jul 25, 2003
Hove
Spot on Gareth, though I would have thought to raise more interest/money might be better to do before first game as that will be closer to the September 11th date.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Gary - I take your point but I think the club would prefer it if we play the day after their last home game each year as they won't care so much about us carving the pitch up !. If we did it just before the season started I think they wouldn't be so happy. I will keep you updated.

There will be a short feature about REMF on BBC South East Today - that's the East Sussex & Kent regional programme - at 6.30pm this evening. Sky Channel 953 if you're outside the "South East" region.

I don't know whether it will be shown on South Today as well.

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Top work by everyone. It makes me so very proud to be part of the Albion family.

Hans Kraay

Aug 3, 2003
Church Langley, Essex
for robert :drink:

The BBC feature has found its way on to the BBC Southern Counties website

_39326642_eaton_203.jpg

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Well done to all those involved...:clap::clap: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here