Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's 'No, Really' Hot Album debate: 1st Oasis album v 1st Arctic Monkeys album

Well?

• Oasis: 'Definitely Maybe'

Votes: 45 70.3%
  • Arctic Monkeys: 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not'

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • I fear the unknown - Phil Collins every time for me and the better half

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I bought my last 33rpm in 1968: Forever Changes v Pet Sounds (already voted)

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Definately Maybe is a good album.

Arctic Monkeys are dross.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
you asked which the better album was. why do you care what they then go on to become?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Unfortunately a lot of the passion in the Arctic Monkeys demos was lost in the mixing of the album and the tunes actually sound rather tame compared to what they could sound like. DM is more confident, brash and better, at the end of the day.

Interesting point that, cos OASIS scrapped Definitely Maybe twice and spent nearly £100,000 on recording, producing and mixing to ensure that it did sound like how the band sounded live and on the demo tapes.

Arctic Monkey's are good but if I could only have one album to listen to for the rest of my life it would be Definitely Maybe.

Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Artic Monkeys for me, however I have my doubts as to their longevity.

So many bands come along and are good for a few albums, and then thats it. Saying that, I see no reason why they shouldn't be around for a long time...it all hinges on the second album...

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Oasis by a country mile. Definately Maybe was great when it first came out and is still great today, not sure the same will be said of Arctic Monkeys effort which although it contains some good tracks sounds somewhat amateur.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
there second album should be good, if their unreleased material is anything to go by.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Tom Hark said:
So... what floats YOUR boat? ???

For me, Arctic Monkeys just shade it over Oasis. Cos Oasis progressed to stadium rock and laziness, whereas Arctic Monkeys never could, even if they wanted to. Er, innit.

Hmmm. I think you've confused yourself a bit there. The question you posed is which is the better album, but your answer is based around what happened next to Oasis, not the strength of the album and AM's have only been around for a few months, so who knows what the future holds for them. They might spend the next few years covering Sugababes tracks as an act of gratitude for fanning the flames of their overhyped fame

I like the Artic's, but DM is a much better record.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Re: Re: Today's 'No, Really' Hot Album debate: 1st Oasis album v 1st Arctic Monkeys album

Jimmy Saville said:
Hmmm. I think you've confused yourself a bit there. The question you posed is which is the better album, but your answer is based around what happened next to Oasis, not the strength of the album and AM's have only been around for a few months, so who knows what the future holds for them. They might spend the next few years covering Sugababes tracks as an act of gratitude for fanning the flames of their overhyped fame

I like the Artic's, but DM is a much better record.

It's a bit like saying Rooney is better than Pele because Pele went on to have erectile dysfunction.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Definitely Maybe every time. One of the best records ever.

I completely agree with Chappers about the production on the Monkeys' album, it took a lot of the passion out for me and as a result i have stuck with the downloads rather than bought the real thing.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I know this is an old poll but I stuck with my Oasis vote, and as a fan of the Arctic Monkeys I'd argue their first album is their worst

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is a joke that the Arctic Monkeys are put in the same bracket as Oasis. Sorry, but Definately Maybe pisses all over AM's debut.

Good luck to them and that but they don't do it for me one bit, there are so many better bands going around unnoticed at the moment.

This.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dave the EEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAGGGGGGLLLLLEEEE is back I fear

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here