Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's 'No, Really' Hot Album debate: 1st Oasis album v 1st Arctic Monkeys album

Well?

• Oasis: 'Definitely Maybe'

Votes: 45 70.3%
  • Arctic Monkeys: 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not'

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • I fear the unknown - Phil Collins every time for me and the better half

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I bought my last 33rpm in 1968: Forever Changes v Pet Sounds (already voted)

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So... what floats YOUR boat? ???

For me, Arctic Monkeys just shade it over Oasis. Cos Oasis progressed to stadium rock and laziness, whereas Arctic Monkeys never could, even if they wanted to. Er, innit.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Unfortunately a lot of the passion in the Arctic Monkeys demos was lost in the mixing of the album and the tunes actually sound rather tame compared to what they could sound like. DM is more confident, brash and better, at the end of the day.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Waiting to hear the Arctic Monkeys effort, but 'Maybe still has a lot of magic about it.

For my money an album shines if you still love it, debut or not, some two plus years later.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Unfortunately a lot of the passion in the Arctic Monkeys demos was lost in the mixing of the album and the tunes actually sound rather tame compared to what they could sound like.

I hope that's not you attempting a Richie Morris style 'Of course Kasabian sounded SO much better when me and three other Special Ones saw them play a gig in that occupied phone box next to the Pavilion Theatre in 1928' type thing there Chappers :D

blueandwhitearmy

Oct 29, 2004
Bevendean
It is a joke that the Arctic Monkeys are put in the same bracket as Oasis. Sorry, but Definately Maybe pisses all over AM's debut.

Good luck to them and that but they don't do it for me one bit, there are so many better bands going around unnoticed at the moment.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Tom Hark said:
I hope that's not you attempting a Richie Morris style 'Of course Kasabian sounded SO much better when me and three other Special Ones saw them play a gig in that occupied phone box next to the Pavilion Theatre in 1928' type thing there Chappers :D

Not at all! It's true though. If you listen to the demos that were doing the rounds a few months ago they sound much better. The album is too clean cut for my liking. Just my viewpoint.

The Maximo Park album is better than both anyway....

Zed Seagull

Not at all! It's true though. If you listen to the demos that were doing the rounds a few months ago they sound much better. The album is too clean cut for my liking. Just my viewpoint.

Agreed. Maximo Park is a fabulous album

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Tom Hark said:
So... what floats YOUR boat? ???

For me, Arctic Monkeys just shade it over Oasis. Cos Oasis progressed to stadium rock and laziness, whereas Arctic Monkeys never could, even if they wanted to. Er, innit.

For me it's Definitely Maybe. No contest.

I remember saying that Oasis could never progress to 'stadium rock and laziness'. I was wrong and the odds are that you will be wrong about Arctic Monkeys. Give them time to becomes successful, age, mellow and then need to earn some more money and before you know it they'll be lighters in the air at Hillsborough.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
[/B][/QUOTE] Cos Oasis progressed to stadium rock and laziness

If we're looking at them both purely as debut albums I think it's unfair to knock DM for what they subsequently went on to do.
Oasis for me anyway.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town

This is so true, I loved allt he demos that were about but was really disappointed byt he album despite being a good debut its nowhere near as good as it could have been.

Maximo parks album is very good but neither top Definitely maybe for sheer rawness and impact that it had.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Where is the option for both are excellent?

If I had to choose it would be Oasis but more for the time of my life it is associated with, rather than it being substantially better (1st year at Uni and all that).

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Definetely Maybe by far. I love the Artic Monkeys but for once it is actually a case of the demos are a lot better than the 'proper' versions.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Oasis, easily. Yes, they went downhill, but the British music scene at the time was awash with 3rd rate shoegazing indie bands and the dying breaths of grunge. Definately Maybe was a revelation at the time and revitalised the industry, even if Britpop eventually disappeared up it's own arse. If Definately Maybe was never recorded, I doubt the Arctic Monkeys would be around today.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here