Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IMPORTANT: REMF Match - Friday 12 May 2006, Southwick FC

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
IMPORTANT: REMF game date

I have booked the pitch for

Friday 12th May at Southwick FC (Old Barn Way)
Kick off 7.30pm

The CC Championship play-offs 2nd legs are on the 9/10 May, so there will be no clashes if Palace reach them.

Please support if at all possible.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I'll be in Scotland then, but if you need any help from me beforehand (i dont know how much use i can be from southampton, but you never know!) then just drop me a pm :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
are we starting training soon andrew? my prefference would be thursdays again...:albion:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Robert Eaton Memorial Fund 5th Anniversary Match

The Robert Eaton Memorial Fund are staging the 5th anniversary game between Brighton & Hove Albion supporters and Crystal Palace supporters at Southwick Football Club on Friday 12th May, 7.30 pm kick off.

The Robert Eaton Memorial Fund was borne from the terrorist attacks in New York on 11th September 2001 when Robert Eaton an avid lifelong Albion supporter was tragically one of the 67 Britons who lost their lives that terrible day.

Robert was born in Brighton and moved to New York to become a very successful broker for Cantor Fitzgerald. He was married and lived on Long Island. He was a regular user of the Albion fans chatroom, North Stand Chat using the name Ricky Marlowes Hairpiece after his favourite Albion player from the 1970's. He had been on the forum as usual just days before the terrorist attacks. In the dark days after is became clear Robert was a victim of the attacks.

Brighton & Hove Albion supporters decided the best way to honour his memory was to hold an annual charity football match and it seemed logical to play this game against our fiercest rivals Crystal Palace FC. The first game was held at Southwick FC in November 2001 when nearly 1000 people came along to see an entertaining 4-4 draw which Palace won on penalties. The next game was held at the Withdean Stadium when the football club allowed the game to be played at the home of the Albion. Palace won this game 5-1. The 2004 game at the Withdean was revenge time for the Albion as they thrashed Palace 6-1.

Last years game at the Withdean was probably the best in terms of quality with a 2-2 draw and Albion winning on penalties to draw the series 2-2. We are now moving onto the 5th anniversary game which is being played at the venue of the original game, Southwick FC. One of the most remarkable points is that Ricky Marlowe was invited to play in Robert's memory and he has travelled from Edinburgh to play in all 4 games. We hope he will make the game this year as well .

The charity raised over £ 25000 in the first few weeks when dozens of Albion and Palace fans joined forces. Over the last 4 years the charity has continued to grow with the football match and a golf day between the supporters being the main annual fund raising events.

The Robert Eaton Memorial Fund has supported Los Peladitos , a deprived club in the New York area made up of Hispanic children between 5-16 when the fund kitted out 230 players in 2002. The fund has subsequently supported Los Peladitos with annual grants for more equipment.

Since 2004 , the Robert Eaton Memorial Fund has also been looking to support local football clubs and has given grants for kit and equipment to King George United in Southwick, Fishersgate, Portslade Athletic and ASC Strikers in Lancing. Without the funds support these clubs would find it very difficult to exist.

The fund is looking to continue to help our friends in New York and also to support local clubs and a club in the Croydon area with further grants to help children to play football in the memory of Robert Eaton.

Gareth Glover the fund chairman said " It is a very special occasion to see the Robert Eaton Memorial Fund 5th anniversary game being held this year. The manner in which the fiercest of rivals have come together to achieve some good from a terrible situation has been an inspiration to us all. Robert Eaton will never be forgotten and we hope the fund will continue to help and support youngsters to achieve their goals. I hope as many people as possible can come along on the 12th May and help support the fund as without them we would struggle to exist ".

Southwick FC Friday 12th May 2006, 7.30 pm kick off
Gates open 7pm
Bar open
Raffle on the night

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here