Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackburn Rovers Youth 2-3 Brighton & Hove Albion Youth - Full Time AET

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Blackburn Rovers Youth v Brighton & Hove Albion Youth

By Paul Camillin. Wednesday, 08 February 2006.

Blackburn Rovers Youth v Brighton & Hove Albion Youth

Brighton & Hove Albion hotshot Joe Gatting wants to take The Seagulls one step further in the FA Youth Cup than father Steve did in The FA Cup more than 20 years ago.

Young Gatting lines up against Blackburn at Ewood Park tonight in the Fifth Round, fresh from a scoring performance in Brighton's wonderful 2-1 win over Chelsea in the last round, and the prolific forward is eyeing up another upset.

Gatting senior, a former Brighton, Arsenal and Charlton defender, was a runner-up with the Seagulls when they lost their FA Cup Final replay to Ron Atkinson's triumphant Manchester United side.

Now, 23 years on, he's cheering on 18-year-old son Joe and his team-mates in this season's FA Youth Cup.

The Brighton youngsters saw off Port Vale in the Third Round and then produced the shock of the fourth round by toppling Chelsea in front of over 3,000 fans at the Withdean Stadium.

Gatting told TheFA.com: "We have got a good chance of going all the way in this season's competition, we have a strong side and if we all play to our best then who knows?

"Going into the Chelsea game, we were quietly confident and I thought we had a good opportunity because on our day we are capable of beating anyone."

Gatting got Brighton's first that night in the 2-1 win, and his goals have been a big feature of what has been a superb season so far.

A total of 23 goals in 18 youth matches have helped Brighton - under the guidance of Martin Hinshelwood, Dean Wilkins, a former team-mate of Gatting senior, and Vic Bragg - remain unbeaten in the South Eastern Alliance League this season.

They are flying high at the top of the table, with a nine-point lead over nearest rivals QPR, but the trip to Ewood Park will be a totally new experience for the fledgling Seagulls.

"It's going to be a big experience for all the lads," Gatting added. "For most of the team it's going to be the first Premiership ground we've played on."

Gatting is one of the players who does have some experience of playing on the bigger stages - he featured for the club's first team in matches at Southampton and Sheffield United - and he would have been involved in the Championship match at Coventry's Ricoh Arena last Saturday, but for a calf injury sustained while training with the first team.

However, he expects to be back in time to face Blackburn tonight. "I should be fit for the match. I strained my calf last Monday, but I have started running again this week and fingers crossed I will be fit."

Log on to TheFA.com tomorrow for superb video highlights of Brighton's game with Blackburn.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/TheFAYouthCup/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2006/02/FAYouthCup_Brighton.htm

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The FA Youth Cup in partnership with Pepsi
Sixth Round Proper
Ties to be played by Saturday 18 February 2006

Crystal Palace
v
Southampton

Nottingham Forest or Manchester City
v
Manchester United

Newcastle United
v
Blackburn Rovers or Brighton & HA

Liverpool
v
Carlisle United

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
perseus said:
The FA Youth Cup in partnership with Pepsi
Sixth Round Proper
Ties to be played by Saturday 18 February 2006

Crystal Palace
v
Southampton

Nottingham Forest or Manchester City
v
Manchester United

Newcastle United
v
Blackburn Rovers or Brighton & HA

Liverpool
v
Carlisle United

Another nice short trip if they win tonight then?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Brentford
v
Newcastle United
1-2aet

Burnley
v
Liverpool
0-3

Carlisle United
v
Sheffield United
2-0

Crystal Palace
v
Watford
3-2aet

Blackburn Rovers
v
Brighton & Hove Albion
08 Feb 7.00

Nottingham Forest
v
Manchester City
08 Feb 7.00

Bolton Wanderers
v
Southampton
0-1

(at Lancashire FA, Leyland)

Manchester United
v
Charlton Athletic
2-1

Crowd: sparse

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Semi-final, 1st leg, ties to be completed by Saturday 11 March 2006
Liverpool or Carlisle United
v
Crystal Palace or Southampton

Newcastle Utd or Blackburn Rovers or Brighton Hove Albion
v
Nottingham Forest or Manchester City or Manchester United

Semi-final, 2nd leg, ties to be completed by Saturday 25 March 2006

Crystal Palace or Southampton
v
Liverpool or Carlisle United

Nottingham Forest or Manchester City or Manchester United
v
Newcastle Utd or Blackburn Rovers or Brighton Hove Albion

That means we could play Palace in the Final. I doubt it somehow.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
took 15/4 on the youth for tonights game on bet365.
can't see any other firms betting on it

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
So, if we win tonight we get Newcastle, then possibly 2 legs v Man U (at Old Trafford?) then maybe 2 legs v Liverpool or Palace?

That's some decent grounds for the kids to visit (except Selhurst of course) - I hope they don't start getting ideas!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
On the net again. We're being spoilt. :clap2:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
so I guess the final will be:

Liverpool or Carlisle United or Crystal Palace or Southampton

v

Newcastle Utd or Blackburn Rovers or Brighton Hove Albion or Nottingham Forest or Manchester City or Manchester United

:D

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Albion youth keeper Sullivan appears to be missing from the squad. I had read somewhere that he was injured.

ILOVEBHA

Jul 27, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
perseus said:
Albion youth keeper Sullivan appears to be missing from the squad. I had read somewhere that he was injured.

He is injured,ankle ligament damage apparentlly.
We do have a more than capable replacement though
Come on boys:clap2:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It would be a good idea if the two threads are merged. I have no prerogative as a starter, but I like ther threads to look official :lolol: so they are not missed.

I have got a meeting I cannot get out of tonight. Damn!

Good luck the lads !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here