Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wembley 1991 Memories?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The good natured banter between the fans both before and after the game was probably the biggest highlight, we were probably just grateful to have a day out at Wembley. I wonder what the atmosphere would have been like had we lost to Millwall and County lost to whoever they had played, not quite the same I reckon.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My memories' me and my taking our seats just b4 kick off plastic bottles of hofmeister in hand and sitting in front of the caplin family (not mp) who we sat in front of in the west stand for that season and seeing the old mans face when we turned up, i think he walked out the count

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I was working up north the next week, so had to drive up the M1 alongside lots (not that many) Notts County fans. I had a right old sulk on.

The following week there was a two page colour spread in some footy mag - might have been Match Weekly - with my mates Si, Andy, both my borthers and everyone else. I never saw the camera and must have been in the bog/bar.

It was a miserable bloody day:nono:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I remember being 100% certain that we would win. Decorating the car in blue and white and setting off with high spirits. Sadly the team that had played so well to get there didn't turn up. We were dire on the day and that continued for years to come getting worse and worse by the season. A true watershed day, had we played and won we could have gone on to great things, but we all know what happened and we are still trying to recover from it.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
My other abiding memory was the utter crap view we had. I was right at the front behind the goal at ground level, so there was half a mile between me and the advertising hoardings, another huge gap to the goal, then miles to the far end of the pitch where most of the action was. Awful.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The Timekeeper said:
My mate Erkan losing his flag to 2 girls he was trying to chat up, me winning a joint of beef in the pub before hand and donating it to the local old peoples home, and getting pushed in a bunch of stinging nettles on the way back to Harrow for a ruby, got extremely pissed before the match and the first half was a total blur.
!!!!!

losing my flag that I had carefully cherished since its last visit to Wembley in 1983 because ALFIE gave it to some bird HE was failing to chat up...

getting extremely pissed before the game in a pub in Harrow...

don't remember much else - certainly not the friendly rivalry between fans - just being very pissed off by Tommy Johnson, their wheelbarrow song and us losing

my brother's German wife commiserating in a sort of "for you ze vor is o-fer" voice that "today your seagulls were only pigeons..."

me driving us back to Horsham after the Ruby and being repeatedly woken up by the grid things on the side of the motorway - those were the days, eh?!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
One glorious memory of the actual day was driving back to Newark in Nottinghamshire where I existed at the time and seeing a Notts mini bus (with all its rascally bunting) broken down on the hard shoulder.

A nice little toot and wave!

Years later a builder was doing some work for me in my Newark home when I suddenly heard bursts of laughter from the kitchen.He'd seen my Seagulls teapot stand and was having a real hoot because he was a Notts supporter.

And he never did notice how pissy his tea got after that!

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
Getting the train home to Nottingham after the game wasn't much fun. Had enough by Loughborough, so got off there instead.
:nono:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Ah, May 1991, it was a significant time for me, with the play-offs being forever entwined in the memories of my crumbling relationship.

Play-off day at home to Millwall, we'd had a row in the morning because she thought the season was over and wanted us to have a day out blah blah blah. She went out in a flounce and I went to the footie.

Great win of course, and ITV were showing extended highlights shortly after the game, so a group of us went back to my flat to watch it over a few beers. We'd only had the telly on a couple of minutes when Vicki arrived home wanting to talk.

"Not great timing love, I've got the boys back to watch the football."
"What? The same game you've been watching all afternoon?"
"Well, yeah, but we want to see it on telly."

Anyway, we would talk for a bit in the kitchen, I'd go into the lounge, to catch some game, then back to the kitchen. Until eventually I heard the door slam while I was watching Codner tuck away one of the goals.

She was back that evening and all was well again.

Then Wembley. A superb day out, that was of course spoilt by the result. I'd been so confident of victory, I just couldn't get over that defeat. We'd beaten Millwall home and away, nothing could stop us, County hadn't even been that good all season. I really couldn't get over it.

When I got home, Vicki had moved out! While I was at Wembley she had removed half of what little furniture we had. All her clothes were gone, the stereo was gone, the bathroom was virtually empty.

I was so gutted that I didn't realise she was gone until about Wednesday.

What a double-whammy when I did notice. The two events will almost be forever connected. I can't think of one with out the other.

Albion Rob

Ah, my first time at Wembley, as a raw 10 year old.

I remember the drive up there with my old man, loads of horn tooting and leaning out the window. Remember it being quite warm before the game and watching blokes drinking wondering if I would ever be part of that whole scene (odd what you consider when you're young).

Remember being amazed by how we outnumbered them at Wembley Park tube as we waited for my cousin and then having my breath taken away by the ground when we got in.

I think I remember us hitting the post (Walker?) and the bar (Wilkins), what a difference those two goals could have made.

I remember tjhinking we would be back next year, how wrong could I be?!

Still, we've had ups and downs and long term I'd still rather be in our position that County's.

And we've also got the Millennium Stadium victory to give us a warm, fuzzy feeling. Sad for those who passed away or couldn't go to that but went to Wembley though.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
National Tyres & Autocare said:
Never mind lads, you missed a classic strike by Wendy, from open play as well !

QUOTE]

I could have sworn that it was byrne that scored that day!!!!

I just remember having a few festive beverages with some lovely lay-deeeees in green park before the game & not being allowed into any pubs with stripes on

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Fourteenth Eye said:
National Tyres & Autocare said:
Never mind lads, you missed a classic strike by Wendy, from open play as well !

QUOTE]

I could have sworn that it was byrne that scored that day!!!!

I just remember having a few festive beverages with some lovely lay-deeeees in green park before the game & not being allowed into any pubs with stripes on

Definitely Wendy, as I can remember the interview afterwards when he was completely gutted, and said about "losing the game 3-0" before a slighly embarrassed interviewer pointed out ..

"Err, it was 3-1 Dean, you scored!"

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ah, May 1991, it was a significant time for me, with the play-offs being forever entwined in the memories of my crumbling relationship.

Play-off day at home to Millwall, we'd had a row in the morning because she thought the season was over and wanted us to have a day out blah blah blah. She went out in a flounce and I went to the footie.

Great win of course, and ITV were showing extended highlights shortly after the game, so a group of us went back to my flat to watch it over a few beers. We'd only had the telly on a couple of minutes when Vicki arrived home wanting to talk.

"Not great timing love, I've got the boys back to watch the football."
"What? The same game you've been watching all afternoon?"
"Well, yeah, but we want to see it on telly."

Anyway, we would talk for a bit in the kitchen, I'd go into the lounge, to catch some game, then back to the kitchen. Until eventually I heard the door slam while I was watching Codner tuck away one of the goals.

She was back that evening and all was well again.

Then Wembley. A superb day out, that was of course spoilt by the result. I'd been so confident of victory, I just couldn't get over that defeat. We'd beaten Millwall home and away, nothing could stop us, County hadn't even been that good all season. I really couldn't get over it.

When I got home, Vicki had moved out! While I was at Wembley she had removed half of what little furniture we had. All her clothes were gone, the stereo was gone, the bathroom was virtually empty.

I was so gutted that I didn't realise she was gone until about Wednesday.

What a double-whammy when I did notice. The two events will almost be forever connected. I can't think of one with out the other.

What a story!!!

My memories of the game are of wnkr Warnock packing CM with three powerful hardmen, completely outfoxing a predictable Lloyd, giving them complete control of the match.

Then being stuck in the coach car park for hours afterwards.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here