Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Wembley 1991 Memories?

0 Not allowed!
    Had an email from a Notts County fan last week, who must have known that we would lose 3-1 to Warnock again...

He's writing a book about County's visits to Wembley (5 times in 6 years would you believe in the early 90s). The plan is to fill the book with various anecdotes and it would be great to have the "view from the other side". He's looking for: "Expectations before the game; Thoughts on Notts Co before the game; Funny incidents; Travelling to the game; Getting tickets; press coverage. 200/300 words if people are able to draft it themselves or failing that just a few bullet points I can use to knock something up".

I've already tried (unsuccessfully) to correct his impression that we wore pink shirts. If you have anything interesting (I've wiped it from my memory), please can you post it here and I'll pass it all on to him.

Thanks.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Monkey in a seagull suit.

0 Not allowed!
      A few memories, flying back from the Netherlands to see the game, being on stand-by for the flight and not sure even till a few minutes before take-off that I would get a seat, contemplating driving to Calais and catching a ferry just in case. Travelling up to London from Pulborough on a train with loads of other Albion fans, friendly banter with County fans and singing outside a pub near the stadium, great atmosphere and a day to remember (apart from the footy).

Would be happy to try and draft something a bit more substantial if he gets desperate.
      The supporter formerly known as McGully and latterly as Van der Gully.

Believe!

0 Not allowed!
      My Johnny Crumplin Football Genius T Shirt and seeing Notts Forest fans mixed in with County. County never were very well supported.

0 Not allowed!
      Maybe Garry Nelson might want to post his 'dropped from the team by Lloyd in the toilets' story to him.
      FAT BOY 'NOT' SLIM

0 Not allowed!
      My mate Erkan losing his flag to 2 girls he was trying to chat up, me winning a joint of beef in the pub before hand and donating it to the local old peoples home, and getting pushed in a bunch of stinging nettles on the way back to Harrow for a ruby, got extremely pissed before the match and the first half was a total blur.
      Blow the whistle ref, it's gone 90 mins and we're winning!
      Deleted User X18H

0 Not allowed!
      Getting syuck on a tube train with loads of county fans on thier way back to Kings X how I suffered .....13 year later I took revenge on some Bristol City fans at a service station just past the Severn Bridge.
      Grey bearded old man Cadiz Seagull's Avatar
      Between Bexhill and Trujillo, Extremadura, Spain

0 Not allowed!
      Getting on the tube to Wembley with Commander carrying a huge stuffed pink elephant with an Albion shirt on
      If history teaches us anything, it is that history teaches us nothing
      Guy 'Tank' Butters Norman Baker suck my lozenge's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Memories of that weekend are,getting a last minute flight from Amsterdam(in the Navy at the time)********d on the plane,shitfaced on the satdee night,leggy on the bus on the way up to Wembley,lost My return air ticket,shocking game,terrible headache,had to buy another ticket back to schipol,missed my ship sailing,£250 pound fine from the Skipper,leave cancelled in Hamburg 2 weeks later,happy days
      Kiss Me Harty.
      Progressive Patriot clapham_gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I had an exam on the Monday and revised at half time.
      With a Monkey Man Plan Monkey Man's Avatar
      One step ahead of the shoeshine, two steps away from the county line

0 Not allowed!
      I remember starting a "Seagulls" chant and my voice turning into a weird, indecipherable squeal. Not many people joined in.

Remember hearing "ooh-ah, ooh-ah, good to be a southernah!" chants outside Wembley, even after the defeat, in front of very timid looking County fans.

Oh, and I seem to recall that we lost. Can anyone confirm this?
      Chicken Run, November 10, 1979.