Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wembley 1991 Memories?

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Had an email from a Notts County fan last week, who must have known that we would lose 3-1 to Warnock again...

He's writing a book about County's visits to Wembley (5 times in 6 years would you believe in the early 90s). The plan is to fill the book with various anecdotes and it would be great to have the "view from the other side". He's looking for: "Expectations before the game; Thoughts on Notts Co before the game; Funny incidents; Travelling to the game; Getting tickets; press coverage. 200/300 words if people are able to draft it themselves or failing that just a few bullet points I can use to knock something up".

I've already tried (unsuccessfully) to correct his impression that we wore pink shirts. If you have anything interesting (I've wiped it from my memory), please can you post it here and I'll pass it all on to him.

Thanks.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
A few memories, flying back from the Netherlands to see the game, being on stand-by for the flight and not sure even till a few minutes before take-off that I would get a seat, contemplating driving to Calais and catching a ferry just in case. Travelling up to London from Pulborough on a train with loads of other Albion fans, friendly banter with County fans and singing outside a pub near the stadium, great atmosphere and a day to remember (apart from the footy).

Would be happy to try and draft something a bit more substantial if he gets desperate.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
My Johnny Crumplin Football Genius T Shirt and seeing Notts Forest fans mixed in with County. County never were very well supported.

The Timekeeper

FAT BOY 'NOT' SLIM
Sep 25, 2003
At home, the pub,the bookies
My mate Erkan losing his flag to 2 girls he was trying to chat up, me winning a joint of beef in the pub before hand and donating it to the local old peoples home, and getting pushed in a bunch of stinging nettles on the way back to Harrow for a ruby, got extremely pissed before the match and the first half was a total blur.

D

Deleted User X18H

Getting syuck on a tube train with loads of county fans on thier way back to Kings X how I suffered .....13 year later I took revenge on some Bristol City fans at a service station just past the Severn Bridge.

Memories of that weekend are,getting a last minute flight from Amsterdam(in the Navy at the time)arseholed on the plane,shitfaced on the satdee night,leggy on the bus on the way up to Wembley,lost My return air ticket,shocking game,terrible headache,had to buy another ticket back to schipol,missed my ship sailing,£250 pound fine from the Skipper,leave cancelled in Hamburg 2 weeks later,happy days:drink: :drink:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I remember starting a "Seagulls" chant and my voice turning into a weird, indecipherable squeal. Not many people joined in.

Remember hearing "ooh-ah, ooh-ah, good to be a southernah!" chants outside Wembley, even after the defeat, in front of very timid looking County fans.

Oh, and I seem to recall that we lost. Can anyone confirm this?

Jul 7, 2003
Having to listen to that f**king wheelbarrow song

Brightonian74

Sep 18, 2004
Bevendean
Remember getting off the train at Brighton Station, needless to say, after the match and the guy walking in front of us had pissed himself......in biege trousers too!

dcseagull

Dec 8, 2005
Washington DC
Leaving a game early for the only time in my life. Saw the third Notts County goal go in and couldn't take any more. Stormed off in a huge sulk and didn't even know that we scored a consolation until I had got home to Brighton.

I think I would have been even more upset if I'd realised that the match was the catalyst for the chain of events culminating in the demise of the Goldstone, Gillingham etc.

The game was also the start of my intense dislike of Tommy Johnson.

Brightonian74

Sep 18, 2004
Bevendean
dcseagull said:
Leaving a game early for the only time in my life. Saw the third Notts County goal go in and couldn't take any more. Stormed off in a huge sulk and didn't even know that we scored a consolation until I had got home to Brighton.

I think I would have been even more upset if I'd realised that the match was the catalyst for the chain of events culminating in the demise of the Goldstone, Gillingham etc.

The game was also the start of my intense dislike of Tommy Johnson.

Ditto! Also missed us scoring at Wembley too!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Same the only game i've ever left early went to get on coach back home, and then we went and scored. Never left a game early since no matter how shit we are

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Was studying in Liverpool at the time, so I was in a minority of one travelling down. Had to get a tube rammed with County fans. Lost the match. Got back to Liverpool well late that night and got laughed at by all my 'mates'.

My brothers mate bored a van from his work place. THE SPASTICS SOCIETY.

No one took any notice of the van and its contents until we got stuck in the London traffic jams.

As we got beered up, we increasingly got looks of bewilderment, bemusement, confusion and laughter.

Soon more beers led to non PC impressions.

We got waved thru Wembley by loads of coppers, who trigged at the last moment that though we couldn't speak clearly it was due to alcoholic content.

We eventually arrived at a pub near Wembley with a large beer garden and fans of both sides garden. Our van licence ment we could park right outside. For a while both sets of supporters looked blankly on with the "What the f*** are they doing here looks". That changed rapidly to hysterical laughter as we left the van in our "mongy" poses to "Seagulls" as our colours shown through.

Plus, I was impressed by the good nature support of both sets of fans.

After the game I had to travel on my own back yp north to Wakefield, so took a lot of stick around Kings Cross and on the train.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here