Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crap towns of Britain

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Crap town/village: Darlington

Those who communicate in grunts and sniffs revel happily in the squalid surroundings. There is a night club called 'Mardi Gras' where squaddies from miles around congregate to chase fat single mums and stamp on peoples' heads. A small town with small minds, I challenge anyone to put 'darlo' in a positive light.

:lolol: Quality

Wez

Aug 18, 2003
Worthing
dont like Horley much, bugger all there! got stuck there one afternoon, it was not good.

Crawley as well!!!!!!!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I see Burgess Hill are in there Fran!

No Haywards Heath though.

:lolol:

And Crawley.

I's say it's about right!

Sam

Formerly "Sambo"
Jul 22, 2003
Oxfordshire
Quote from the site:
Go to Brighton, have a laugh by all means. But it isn't the Mecca of English cool. Ok??

whats all that about?? ?? ??

Last edited:

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Buzza said:
I see Burgess Hill are in there Fran!

No Haywards Heath though.

:lolol:

And Crawley.

I's say it's about right!

Haywards Heath is so crap it's unbelievable! Far worse than Burgess Hill!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Town/Village: Croydon - Arsehole of the southeast

Amenities:
Full of mockney wankers and Wetherspoon pubs. For those who are unfortunate enough to be born and raised in the locale all know of its perils and pitfalls.

West Croydon bus station serves as a kind of halfway house for the mental health ward at Mayday hospital. The floor is littered with KFC chicken bones like some ancient caveman dwelling and the air stinks of piss and Vaseline. From here, if you avoid being chopped into bitesize chunks and stuffed into a second-hand suitcase, you can make your way up to the high street. Be careful not to look anyone in the eye or smile, this is often misconstrudled and could lead to verbal and even physical abuse. For example the offended party might say something along the lines of - "Whatchoo lookin' at you fuckin' ****?" and then poke you in the eye with a half-snouted Lambert and Butler.

You will see (out of the good eye) another side of Croydon folk at well-known Croydon nightspot 'The Blue Orchid'. This is not to be confused with 'The Meat Market' in Surrey Street, though the purpose is much the same. If you are lucky (depending on how you define lucky) you might spot page three-boob-cruise-Croydon-born Lindsey Dawn McKensie, (who I went to school with incidentally), or Beppe from EastEnders. However you are more likely to spot groups of middle-aged women on the pull and they'll probably be clad in leather and leopard-skin, chain smoking, laughing like drains and eating Scotch eggs and garlic bread. The toilets quite often have police incident boards in them but generally speaking if you stick to the 80s lounge you can avoid trouble. Just be careful no-one slips Rophypnol into your Bacardi Breezer, else you might not conciously find yourself being shagged senseless by someone almost certainly called Steve but whom you won't know from Adam.

For fun,why not try the lift in the Drummond Centre (it's glass!) or indulge in a bit of thieving? Try on a variety of hats in Debenhams if the mood takes you. And it's always a good laugh to hang around at a bus stop for a few hours spitting at old people and drinking 20/20.

Your social status in Croydon depends upon whether you live closer to the chocolate factory or shit works. The latter being the less desirable of the two. I lived closer to the shit works.

Shit.

:clap:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Town/Village: Croydon - Arsehole of the southeast

Amenities:
Full of mockney wankers and Wetherspoon pubs. For those who are unfortunate enough to be born and raised in the locale all know of its perils and pitfalls.

West Croydon bus station serves as a kind of halfway house for the mental health ward at Mayday hospital. The floor is littered with KFC chicken bones like some ancient caveman dwelling and the air stinks of piss and Vaseline. From here, if you avoid being chopped into bitesize chunks and stuffed into a second-hand suitcase, you can make your way up to the high street. Be careful not to look anyone in the eye or smile, this is often misconstrudled and could lead to verbal and even physical abuse. For example the offended party might say something along the lines of - "Whatchoo lookin' at you fuckin' ****?" and then poke you in the eye with a half-snouted Lambert and Butler.

You will see (out of the good eye) another side of Croydon folk at well-known Croydon nightspot 'The Blue Orchid'. This is not to be confused with 'The Meat Market' in Surrey Street, though the purpose is much the same. If you are lucky (depending on how you define lucky) you might spot page three-boob-cruise-Croydon-born Lindsey Dawn McKensie, (who I went to school with incidentally), or Beppe from EastEnders. However you are more likely to spot groups of middle-aged women on the pull and they'll probably be clad in leather and leopard-skin, chain smoking, laughing like drains and eating Scotch eggs and garlic bread. The toilets quite often have police incident boards in them but generally speaking if you stick to the 80s lounge you can avoid trouble. Just be careful no-one slips Rophypnol into your Bacardi Breezer, else you might not conciously find yourself being shagged senseless by someone almost certainly called Steve but whom you won't know from Adam.

For fun,why not try the lift in the Drummond Centre (it's glass!) or indulge in a bit of thieving? Try on a variety of hats in Debenhams if the mood takes you. And it's always a good laugh to hang around at a bus stop for a few hours spitting at old people and drinking 20/20.

Your social status in Croydon depends upon whether you live closer to the chocolate factory or shit works. The latter being the less desirable of the two. I lived closer to the shit works.

Shit.

:clap:

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
That's a very good site, so much of it is very true. I notice that it doesn't matter what shitty town they're talking about, there's always an abundance of teenage mums! Nice to see that they recognise insignificant places like Littlehampton as shitholes, but it is a shame that the worst place of all, Horley, doesn't figure. Still, top marks for putting Eastbourne and Crawley in their places! Actually, when I think about it after reading that site, sometimes I'm glad I'm no longer in the UK!

Heath Park Ranger

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Fran Hagarty said:
Haywards Heath is so crap it's unbelievable! Far worse than Burgess Hill!

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

You don't see Burgess Hill with its own soon-to-be pedestrianised area of half decent restaurants and 'wine-bars' that aren't full of fat pikeys.

I also notice that people from Haywards Heath very rarely go out in Burgess Hill but I often see some 'Hillians' out in HH on a weekend....now why is that?

I need to consider my job locations in future as I worked in creepy Crawley for 6 years, temped in Burgess Hill for a month & couldn't take any more and then Horley for 10 months. At least now I'm in Brighton it doesn't seem so bad...although I am just round the corner from St James Street which is erm, nice at night when I pop out for a bite to eat.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Working in Haywards Heath is bad enough - I'm glad to get out of it, it's such a dreary place! There isn't one decent pub and, apart from the shops (the range of shops is the only thing better than in Burgess Hill) it has nothing going for it. I don't enjoy going to restaurants in Haywards Heath as the outlook is dismal. I agree Brighton is better in that resepect!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Great idea: some bizarre omissions though. Where are Scunthorpe, Neath, Port Talbot, Newport, Dewsbury and Swindon? South Wales is bizzarely under-represented, Bridgend is there, but that's actually one of the better towns in the area. I'd like to read what they say about the towns but the links all lead to pop-ups that are blank - gues they need to put more effort into the site before they think of publishing.

How do you define the worst anyway? Worst archicture? Fewest facilities? Easiest place to be beaten up? Most pikeys? Most up-their-arse residents? There'd be a different winner for all those categories: how can you compare somewhere like Stockton (which looks like somewhere from eastern Europe) with the concrete monstrosities that are Basildon, Slough, Reading and Swindon? Or a places like Dewsbury or any number of towns in south Wales with places like Richmond that are stuffed full of wankers?

If I had to vote for one, I'd vote for High Wycombe as that town seems to combine most of the features of the above.

Last edited:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Pleased to see that Taunton made it. I spent a day and night there on business 2 years ago and you could feel the life being sucked out of you as you breathed the air. Armies of cider-fuelled 15 year olds with dead eyes prowl the town center hunting out anybody wearing natural fabrics. Don't be fooled by the quaint names you see on a town centre map; the 'old pig market' is a multi-storey car park and as for cosmopolitan cuisine, the Vietnamese restaurant I dined in was run by inbred locals pronouncing Vietnamese dishes in an impenetrable local accent. I have never been so relieved to get on a train as the one that took me out of there.

Not so much a town as a suburb of London, but Ponders End should make any list of this kind

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Well Burgess Hill is foul, no doubt about it. I used to like in Swindon and that too is a shithole and probably gets my vote if it were on the list. Then again Crawlry is goddam awful too, so many choices!

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Burgess Hill is a foul place, but living in Hurstpierpoint for 18 years probably influenced my decision. Brighton is the best place in Sussex but I have to disagree with people slagging off Haywards Heath, it's not that bad and is way way way better than Burgess Hill. As for Crawley, well, less said the better.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Hurstpierpoint is also full of pikeys!

To judge whether a place is crap, I would base it on:

1 Whether I would choose go out there.
2 Whether I find it an attractive place to be in.
3 Whether I would live there

In the case of Haywards Heath, the definitive answer would be no in every case!

I was born in Hove but later moved to Fulking - not my choice and one of the most miserable places ever! Boring and depressing! My next door neighbour hated it so much she committed suicide! Local pub grotty and full of tourists. I couldn't stand it for long and moved to London - near Hyde Park. At least there were places to go and things to do there.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Was this written by Safeway about LB?

Town/Village: Bracknell
Amenities:
58 trees
70 Underpasses
No hospitals

I worked for ten terrible months in Bracknell.

Leave him alone :safeway
Branson rules.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here