Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Accenture

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Bozza said:
That is the permie v contractor choice, it has little to do with a particular employer.

Just what are your extensive skillset and experience that has employers clamouring for your services, Thomas? It was not that long ago you were asking for Excel help on NSC to help you in a Bournemouth nursing home or something.

Ive come a long way in 3 years dazza. Now I'm a fully fledged excel VBA monkey with a good working knowledge of the make up of derivatives with pricing/risk exposure.

Like I've said before I'm still IT aligned though (so I'm nothing), even though I sit on the trade floor so my next step is breaking into the big bad Front Office for real.

....as S-Club 7 say ...reach for the stars

E

enigma

dwayne said:
Like I said it depends what line of work he's in.

If he's from an Investment Banking or IT background, generally speaking he'd be better off working directly for the company he's assigned to.

I'm from a Business background, with a language.

Thought I would do marketing but doesn't seem that well paid generally, and not sure about opportunities for progression. As well as that, they generally invite applications from all degrees, which makes it hard to get a job in my opinion.

The rewards seem pretty good to me- 28k starting salary and a 10k bonus over 2 years. I'm driven by money but not to the extent where I would do anything to get it, so thts why I'm wary of anything that will obliterate my social life.

I respect your choice with investment banking,but its not me at all. And I've heard they make you work a lot at weekends, and although the rewards maybe greater I've heard the hours are the longest around, so I'm not up for that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
dwayne said:
Ive come a long way in 3 years dazza. Now I'm a fully fledged excel VBA monkey with a good working knowledge of the make up of derivatives with pricing/risk exposure.

Like I've said before I'm still IT aligned though (so I'm nothing), even though I sit on the trade floor so my next step is breaking into the big bad Front Office for real.

....as S-Club 7 say ...reach for the stars

So your key skill is VBA?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
enigma said:

Thought I would do marketing but doesn't seem that well paid generally, and not sure about opportunities for progression. As well as that, they generally invite applications from all degrees, which makes it hard to get a job in my opinion.

The rewards seem pretty good to me- 28k starting salary and a 10k bonus over 2 years. I'm driven by money but not to the extent where I would do anything to get it, so thts why I'm wary of anything that will obliterate my social life.

I respect your choice with investment banking,but its not me at all. And I've heard they make you work a lot at weekends, and although the rewards maybe greater I've heard the hours are the longest around, so I'm not up for that.

If you're happy with that then I repect you aswell. I must admit I'm greedy and I'm after the bucks. You're right about investment banks being long hours, I'm doing donkey work at the moment but I know that if I can get to VP position in the next 10 years within say ...credit derivatives I can take home my 100k basic and 200k a year bonus...so I put in the hours now to hopefully reap those rewards in the future.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
enigma said:

I wouldn't go overboard on the money. Salary success came later for me about mid 30s but I always believed I could get it but waited for the right project.

It's a marathon work not always a sprint.

E

enigma

dwayne said:
If you're happy with that then I repect you aswell. I must admit I'm greedy and I'm after the bucks. You're right about investment banks being long hours, I'm doing donkey work at the moment but I know that if I can get to VP position in the next 10 years within say ...credit derivatives I can take home my 100k basic and 200k a year bonus...so I put in the hours now to hopefully reap those rewards in the future.

It's fair enough, everyone is different. I already have some savings in the bank and I'm not that bothered about working my way to the top, I just want to be comfortable.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There is always that great lyric from Neil Young - It's better to burn out than fade away".

I guess you make your own choice in your working career.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Bozza said:

my key skill is knowing the in-house JPM exotic derivatives pricing sheets, Luck and skill in equal measures my dear man.

I'm not really up for arguing the toss about how talented I am etc...I could give a f***... I'm IN now and that's all that counts, so I should be gauranteed a comfortable life in the future.

xx

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
enigma said:
It's fair enough, everyone is different. I already have some savings in the bank and I'm not that bothered about working my way to the top, I just want to be comfortable.

Get real the top ain't always good.

I was implored to go for the top job recently by my work mates,
70% internal 30% dealing with customers - bunch of arse I stayed in my Customer Focused job.

E

enigma

Beach Hut said:
Get real the top ain't always good.

I was implored to go for the top job recently by my work mates,
70% internal 30% dealing with customers - bunch of arse I stayed in my Customer Focused job.

I cant be bothered to work to the top but respect anyone that wants to.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
dwayne said:
my key skill is knowing the in-house JPM exotic derivatives pricing sheets, Luck and skill in equal measures my dear man.

I'm not really up for arguing the toss about how talented I am etc...I could give a f***... I'm IN now and that's all that counts, so I should be gauranteed a comfortable life in the future.

xx

I'm not up for arguing at all. I'ml just interested.

You make your own luck, to a degree. You're obviously an ambitious and confident young chap and more power to your elbow. You also might come across as half-decent if you don't belittle decisions and choices of others. Your life is not for everyone, you know.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Bozza said:
I'm not up for arguing at all. I'ml just interested.

You make your own luck, to a degree. You're obviously an ambitious and confident young chap and more power to your elbow. You also might come across as half-decent if you don't belittle decisions and choices of others. Your life is not for everyone, you know.

:kiss:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
lost in london said:
Work you very hard, I know someone there and they hate it. Apparently you are either stupidly busy, or doing nothing. Some people like the pressure of that though, and they pay very well. A mate of my sister's has been offered a graduate job there, £10,000 welcome bonus.

They just take bright young graduates, work them into the ground 'til they lose that gung-ho thing and realise there is a life outside of the office. The smart ones are gone by the time they're thirty.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Tom Hark said:
They just take bright young graduates, work them into the ground 'til they lose that gung-ho thing and realise there is a life outside of the office. The smart ones are gone by the time they're thirty.

But by then you've had a shed load of experience in a relatively short period of time, and your CV looks all the better for it.

I'd go for it - if nothing else Accenture is known as a b!tch to get into, so getting in is an achievement in itself. If the benefits work your way, nicely done. If things dont work out, you'd probably get a better paid job with a smaller firm just off the back of your experience.

Double thumbs up from me (on the proviso that I dont know what your doing now or your circumstances - I wouldn't do it now but Im on a different career route - I would have jumped at the chance, say, 2 years ago)

Last edited:

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
dwayne said:

dreamer!

you're a low level visual basic IT contactor working on fixed contract at JPMorgan as I understand it.

there are thousands with your skills!

if you make a transition to staff rather than contract, if you make VP (which many do) then you may one day be looking at a package rather less impressive than you are spouting above.

good luck to you, but you're hardly there are you, hardly even started!

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Begin rant.

In my (reasonably-extensive) experience and opinion, Accenture employees are genarally morons and/or clones and/or Borgs. They take the piss.

(My opinion) They charge huge rates and delivers bad product by slowing down projects that could better be delivered by a good team of enthusiastic contractors or employees - or smaller more nimble consulting companies.

It all seems to be about them borrowing your watch to tell you the time, and then charging you money for the info.

The rich guys in Accenture get to where they are by climbing over the backs of others - and by selling newly-employed students at mature-employee rates.

End rant.

:flameboun :flameboun :flameboun

Don't get me started ! :lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bozza said:
Don't knock it. It's my key skill too, and I also make a tidy living from it. It helps that I can code in VB, .Net, Java, various unix scripting languages and have Fixed Income and FX Derviative business knowledge, but I'm most marketable because I'm a better VBA programmer than anyone else on this floor.

dwayne comes across as a churlish know it all bore on all employment matters, but I must say that his underlying message is often close to the truth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here