Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Accenture

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Simster said:
Don't knock it. It's my key skill too, and I also make a tidy living from it. It helps that I can code in VB, .Net, Java, various unix scripting languages and have Fixed Income and FX Derviative business knowledge, but I'm most marketable because I'm a better VBA programmer than anyone else on this floor.

dwayne comes across as a churlish know it all bore on all employment matters, but I must say that his underlying message is often close to the truth.

Where was I knocking it?!? I think you're misinterpreting interest for scorn.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
afters said:
dreamer!

you're a low level visual basic IT contactor working on fixed contract at JPMorgan as I understand it.

there are thousands with your skills!

if you make a transition to staff rather than contract, if you make VP (which many do) then you may one day be looking at a package rather less impressive than you are spouting above.

good luck to you, but you're hardly there are you, hardly even started!
So he's a low level contractor yet he's earning a tidy sum. Who's the cu*t? Agree with your second point though, as far as I can see, you have to be in the right place at the right time, you have to prove your competence AND you MUST be a good politician in order to get to the sort of financial rewards he's talking about.

Personally, I've decided there are too many unknowns to risk taking the plunge into a "permy" life and have decided to stay self employed.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Having worked in and around investment banks and dealing rooms for more than a few years, I dont know many IT contractors, who went on to become full blown traders ? Its a completely different skill set.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
afters said:
dreamer!

you're a low level visual basic IT contactor working on fixed contract at JPMorgan as I understand it.

there are thousands with your skills!

if you make a transition to staff rather than contract, if you make VP (which many do) then you may one day be looking at a package rather less impressive than you are spouting above.

good luck to you, but you're hardly there are you, hardly even started!

There's thousands of people that have similar skills, but there's not thousands of people working on the rates trade floor of top tier banks...like I said before im quite lucky. Also the figures I quoted are hardly big bucks when you consider the article in the standard saying that thousands of new millionaires are going to be created after the bonus rounds this year. I know what people around me are earning, so I have a fair idea of what I can achieve ta very much.

I am making the transition from contractor to perm, at the beginning of next month. To be more business aligned and to get this opp. I've had to go to a second tier bank, I start as an associate and my aim will be moving sharply away from what I'm currently doing but yes I'm a long way off (6-7 years)

What do you do out of interest Afters?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Smart Mart said:
Having worked in and around investment banks and dealing rooms for more than a few years, I dont know many IT contractors, who went on to become full blown traders ? Its a completely different skill set.

I don't have to be a trader to get the figures I'm talking about, I may become a salesman/marketer (which I would consider an easier job than I'm doing at the moment). I know a lot of IT contractors that have become quants guys mind.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
dwayne said:
I know a lot of IT contractors that have become quants guys mind.
I know of one - he was a contractor but he had to take a masters degree to do it. He now regrets it - the increase in salary isn't significant, the job is more boring and the people in the quants team are total bores.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Simster said:
I know of one - he was a contractor but he had to take a masters degree to do it. He now regrets it - the increase in salary isn't significant, the job is more boring and the people in the quants team are total bores.

quant is very simlar to another word:blush:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Anyway, so what do you guys do - develop and maintain a small series of Excel/VBA apps that are used continuously or develop a large number of one-off apps quickly to assist with particular trading positions and decisions that arise?

Or none of the above.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Bozza said:
Anyway, so what do you guys do - develop and maintain a small series of Excel/VBA apps that are used continuously or develop a large number of one-off apps quickly to assist with particular trading positions and decisions that arise?

Or none of the above.

1st option

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
dwayne said:
I would be suprised if this happened, everone wants an English company to come in and handle this, would be interesting for you Bozza boy if it did happen.

Money talks dwayne, you know that.

And the Aussies could even show you a thing or two about arrogance...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bozza said:

Or none of the above.
Personally my job has two functions: a) I support and enhance various trade entry systems to handle a multitude of FI, FX & currency products. In addition to which, we are b) in the processing of writing a whole suite of products specifically designed to enable the FI desk (primarily) to manage their trading, with respect to rebalancing against model strategies and vendor benchmarks. Part b) is the interesting bit. We are writing it using an Excel front end and a Java EJB / J2EE back end. IMO, it's a brilliant strategy because the traders all know how to use Excel (obviously) and of course it enables them to do what they want with the results. All the business logic is contained in the Java beans in the back end and the data is retrieved and cached explicity using fairly forward Sybase stored procs.

It's working a treat.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Simster said:
Personally my job has two functions: a) I support and enhance various trade entry systems to handle a multitude of FI, FX & currency products. In addition to which, we are b) in the processing of writing a whole suite of products specifically designed to enable the FI desk (primarily) to manage their trading, with respect to rebalancing against model strategies and vendor benchmarks. Part b) is the interesting bit. We are writing it using an Excel front end and a Java EJB / J2EE back end. IMO, it's a brilliant strategy because the traders all know how to use Excel (obviously) and of course it enables them to do what they want with the results. All the business logic is contained in the Java beans in the back end and the data is retrieved and cached explicity using fairly forward Sybase stored procs.

It's working a treat.

Just make sure you remember the rewritables when you leave dimmo (for the next company):smokin:

Are you still working for goldmans?
and despite your claims of hardship recently, I know u must be on a fair wedge my friend, beers are on you for the wednesday game at Sports Caff.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Not sure how I missed this thread. I worked for Accenture for 12 years up until last October when made redundant, prompting my move to Plzen. Was fine for me. Depends what role you have I guess, but the network operating centre was fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here