Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labours bully is a bouncer ( and a BHA supporter ? )

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005450460,00.html

"A Labour steward who helped boot out an 82-year-old delegate is a pub bouncer.

Burly Joe Ifill pounced on Walter Wolfgang for heckling at Labour’s annual rally in Brighton.

Party chiefs insist they have not hired heavies to crack down on dissent.

But car clamper Ifill works as a doorman in clubs and bars around Brighton and is a showbiz minder.

And local football fans say he once took part in a pitch invasion by fans at Brighton & Hove Albion FC in the 1990s — which he denies."

If it's in the Sun, it must be true !

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Any relation to Paul Ifill?

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I believe the security are mostly made up of volunteers? Then heavy-handed, mindless thugs are to be expected! Perhaps more discretion and appropriate behaviour would have been used if they'd hired professional, experienced security staff instead of thick, fat c*nts like him.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I remember him as I mentioned in an earlier thread. He was one of the few that stayed behind after the Sudbury home game calling on Case to walk out of Bullshitti and Archer.

D

Deleted User X18H

He is an attention seeking twat who is always hanging around with people much younger than him!!!!

magoo said:
I believe the security are mostly made up of volunteers? Then heavy-handed, mindless thugs are to be expected! Perhaps more discretion and appropriate behaviour would have been used if they'd hired professional, experienced security staff instead of thick, fat c*nts like him.
I was a steward at Labour Party Conferences back in the early eighties. We were all unpaid volunteers, recruited because we were party members. I don't recall any of the team having a background in pub bouncing or "security".

I've ejected people from the Conference premises, but never had any reason to resort to physical handling. We were trained to use comradely persuasion - and NOT involve the police. And there were a lot more "troublemakers" running about the place in those days.

Best moment was ejecting Ted Grant, the eminence grise behind Militant. Not for heckling or anything like that, but for selling his newspaper without a conference badge or a permit.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Lord Bracknell said:
I was a steward at Labour Party Conferences back in the early eighties. We were all unpaid volunteers, recruited because we were party members.

Sounds a bit like the SS! :eek:

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
hove born&bred said:
He is an attention seeking twat who is always hanging around with people much younger than him!!!!

The bloke is a prize plum. He used to ref games in the Brighton Leagues on Saturdays and was worse than useless. Sent me off for disputing a throw in then asked our manager if he could play in goal for us instead...

Great publicity for the club at a sensitive time as well :censored: :censored:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Joe's OK, he tends to go at things like a bull at a gate but is a nice person to talk to. He may be a bit touched by the sun but I never noticed any menace about him.

Suppose he's going to get crucified now.

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
Yeah i remember Joe from the Bellend days, alot of mouth but not much else. And so what if he did pitch invasions in the nineties it's not as if he did it on his own.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Todays news...

An ex-doorman branded a thug after evicting an 82-year-old man from the Labour Conference has been hailed a hero after rushing into a burning building to save an elderly woman's home.

Joe Ifill, 41, who hit national headlines last year when he helped eject Labour stalwart Walter Wolfgang from the Brighton Centre, dashed into a smoke-filled house armed with a fire extinguisher and beat back a blaze which threatened to destroy the property.

Car clamper Mr Ifill, from Hove, was driving through Woodmancote, near Henfield, in his works van on Friday when he noticed smoke billowing through an upstairs window of John and Nan Langhorn's house.

He said: "I stopped immediately and jumped out with the fire extinguisher we keep in the cab.

"The elderly woman who lived there said her bedroom was on fire.

"Instinct took over and I ran upstairs with my co-driver Simon de Montfort and put out the fire.

"It was very smoky in there and looking back I suppose it was a bit dangerous, but I was on autopilot.

"A whole wall was on fire but I managed to get it down before four fire engines arrived."

Mr Langhorn said: "My wife and I are very grateful for Joe's help.

"He's a hero to us and he helped saved our home from almost certain ruin.

"The fire stemmed from an electrical fault in an extension cable. There is a lot of water and smoke damage to the roof and walls and the furniture, carpets and wallpaper are scorched and damaged.

"However we do feel lucky in a way. It could have been so much worse without Joe's intervention."

Mr Ifill found himself at the centre of a political storm over his actions during the conference in September.

The eviction of Mr Wolfgang was criticised for being heavy-handed but Mr Ifill later told The Argus he was not a thug and that he had nothing to apologise for.

He was accused of roughly manhandling the frail anti-war protester during televised scenes which embarrassed Prime Minister Tony Blair who apologised for the way Mr Wolfgang was evicted.

Mr Ifill, a former Brighton night club doorman and cousin of Sheffield United footballer Paul Ifill, was pictured in TV footage next to Mr Wolfgang as he was dragged from his seat in the balcony of the Brighton Centre.

A member of Hove Labour Party for more than 20 years, he has worked as a steward at the last five Labour conferences.

Mr Ifill hopes his reputation will be restored after his heroic actions during the fire.

He said: "It was blown out of proportion.

"We used minimum force to take him from the conference centre.

"I was doing my job and feel I was let down.

"I was on the wrong end of some bad treatment from the media.

"People who know me know I am not a bully or a thug.

"The real me is the person who runs into a burning buildings to help an old lady.

"If I am in a situation where I can help someone I will do it."

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Trigger said:
Todays news...

An ex-doorman branded a thug after evicting an 82-year-old man from the Labour Conference has been hailed a hero after rushing into a burning building to save an elderly woman's home.

Joe Ifill, 41, who hit national headlines last year when he helped eject Labour stalwart Walter Wolfgang from the Brighton Centre, dashed into a smoke-filled house armed with a fire extinguisher and beat back a blaze which threatened to destroy the property.

Car clamper Mr Ifill, from Hove, was driving through Woodmancote, near Henfield, in his works van on Friday when he noticed smoke billowing through an upstairs window of John and Nan Langhorn's house.

He said: "I stopped immediately and jumped out with the fire extinguisher we keep in the cab.

"The elderly woman who lived there said her bedroom was on fire.

"Instinct took over and I ran upstairs with my co-driver Simon de Montfort and put out the fire.

"It was very smoky in there and looking back I suppose it was a bit dangerous, but I was on autopilot.

"A whole wall was on fire but I managed to get it down before four fire engines arrived."

Mr Langhorn said: "My wife and I are very grateful for Joe's help.

"He's a hero to us and he helped saved our home from almost certain ruin.

"The fire stemmed from an electrical fault in an extension cable. There is a lot of water and smoke damage to the roof and walls and the furniture, carpets and wallpaper are scorched and damaged.

"However we do feel lucky in a way. It could have been so much worse without Joe's intervention."

Mr Ifill found himself at the centre of a political storm over his actions during the conference in September.

The eviction of Mr Wolfgang was criticised for being heavy-handed but Mr Ifill later told The Argus he was not a thug and that he had nothing to apologise for.

He was accused of roughly manhandling the frail anti-war protester during televised scenes which embarrassed Prime Minister Tony Blair who apologised for the way Mr Wolfgang was evicted.

Mr Ifill, a former Brighton night club doorman and cousin of Sheffield United footballer Paul Ifill, was pictured in TV footage next to Mr Wolfgang as he was dragged from his seat in the balcony of the Brighton Centre.

A member of Hove Labour Party for more than 20 years, he has worked as a steward at the last five Labour conferences.

Mr Ifill hopes his reputation will be restored after his heroic actions during the fire.

He said: "It was blown out of proportion.

"We used minimum force to take him from the conference centre.

"I was doing my job and feel I was let down.

"I was on the wrong end of some bad treatment from the media.

"People who know me know I am not a bully or a thug.

"The real me is the person who runs into a burning buildings to help an old lady.

"If I am in a situation where I can help someone I will do it."

Well done him. Car clamper, ex-bouncer, Labour Party stooge/steward, but he obviously has some redeeming features!

When he says "A whole wall was on fire but I managed to get it down before four fire engines arrived" - I take it he means he got the fire down and not the wall! Looking at the size of him, I was unsure!

D

Deleted User X18H

He is a fantasist the Argus are desperate for stories they are allowed to print

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
if you had watched the labour party incident he did not lay a hand on the old guy it was the other 2 bouncers. Still if he helped someone out all credit to him. He isn't a nasty person.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here