Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A few cricket quotes for you...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I was a bit worried that it would be embarrassing and that there would be only three men and a dog out on the streets to see us."
Matthew Hoggard needn't have freted. Tens of thousands lined the street of London for England's open-top bus procession

"The only drinks on offer were pineapple juice and water. At the Prime Minister's house! Anyway, someone obviously had a quiet word and soon enough some white wine appeared. It was a bit warm, but you can't have everything I suppose."
Hoggard again, this time on the reception at No. 10 Downing Street

"You can have your rugby tests, you can have international soccer, but this is what matters and there has been a frittering away of the spirit and he [Mr Beazley] holds that weasel [Mr Howard] responsible for it. He's [Howard] lost it for us, we will never forget, it's a crime"
A spokesman for Kim Beazley, Australia's leader of the opposition, makes it clear where his boss thinks the blame for the Ashes defeat lies

"That means I can drive a flock of sheep through the town centre, drink for free in no less than 64 pubs, and get a lift home with a policemen when I become inebriated. What more could you want?"
Andrew Flintoff seems just as excited by the freedom of the city of Preston as he does by the Ashes

"I've got the Super Series in two weeks' time. I can't think of anything worse."
In vino veritas, Andrew Flintoff admits he'd rather not be going Down Under quite so soon after this series. The Aussies would probably prefer he stayed at home as well.

"Pietersen might have gone for nought when he was dropped off Shane Warne, but it was really down to the slip catch missed by Warne himself - so simple even Pietersen (nought for six in the series) might have caught it."
Martin Johnson writes in The Daily Telegraph

"I doubt if I'll be feeling very well, though. If I am then something will have gone seriously wrong with the celebrations.."
Ashley Giles on the morning after

"A strong England side is the best thing that could have happened for the Ashes and world cricket."
Bill Brown, Australia's oldest living Test cricketer, convinced that the series was the most exciting he has ever witnessed

"I don't owe Shane anything, I have dropped six catches and nobody bought me a beer."
Kevin Pietersen remarks nonchalantly on the lucky reprieve he had on 15, when Shane Warne dropped a sitter

"For me it was a nice touch for them to say 'we wish you were English'."
Shane Warne salutes the crowd at The Oval after his final Test on English soil

"Not over till the fat laddie spins."
The Sun pays a backhanded compliment to Shane Warne

"Win or lose the Ashes, I'm going to find the best bottle of red wine in town and present him with it."
There can be no higher praise for Andrew Flintoff from Ian Botham

"He's a lovely guy, that Ricky Ponting. He likes the English so much he changed the series for them with the most stupid decision he'll ever make in his life."
Geoff Boycott is still gloating about Ponting's decision to bowl first in the pivotal Test at Edgbaston

"Can you put some lights on the bails, I can't see who I'm bowling at!"
Andrew Flintoff makes a polite point to Rudi Koertzen, as England battle on in the gloom at The Oval

"Morning Geraint, how are you?"
A Sky News reporter demonstrates the depth of his new-found love of cricket, as he greets Paul Collingwood on the morning of the third day at The Oval

"At eight minutes past three came the worst moment of the Ashes summer so far. Matthew Hayden smiled."
Simon Barnes, chief sports writer of The Times, spots a seminal moment

"There should be workplace flexibility and that means where it's possible there should be flexible arrangements so people could watch the boys, and I say to [captain] Ricky [Ponting], good luck."
John Howard, the prime minister of Australia, telling the bosses to lighten up on their workers

"This is the first time the Oval Test match actually counts for something in my time, and this is my fourth tour."
Shane Warne on the biggest Test of his 127-match career

"It would be nice if I could win a toss. Or if I don't, it would be nice if England is not 1-130 at lunch like it was at Edgbaston and Trent Bridge."
Ricky Ponting presents his wish-list ahead of the decider at the Oval

"While every company is aware of the risks posed by computer viruses, few will have ever considered Ricky Ponting and Michael Vaughan's men a potential threat to their computer networks."
Stuart Beattie of Network General on the possibility of internet connections getting blocked as millions are expected to log on to keep up with the fifth Test

"We've probably over-analysed our game on this tour. Cricket is a one-ball game, but sometimes players think too much about what's gone before and what the consequences of their actions will be."
John Buchanan finally realises where they went wrong in this series

"It's much better than being a footballer - in that game half the nation hates you because you play for the wrong club. That must be hell."
Rachael Flintoff is delighted, like the rest of the nation, that Freddie chose cricket

"I haven't had to tame him. He knows he will only get one shot at his cricket career."
Mrs Flintoff again, this time denying she deserves the credit for his upturn in fortunes

"If he wants to do another fitness test two days out from the fifth Test, I'll kick his bum because it's distracting everyone"
Former Australian batsman Dean Jones has had enough of Glenn McGrath's fitness worries and wants him to clear all uncertainty well before the final Test at The Oval

"How can you tell your wife you are just popping out to play a match and then not come back for five days?"
Rafael Benitez, manager of Liverpool FC, struggles to understand the great game

"Cricketers don't spit. Women really hate that."
The Guardian's chief sports writer Richard Williams posits his theory that not spitting is the chief reason - above all others - why more women are seeming to prefer cricket to football

"If I was on 99 and at the other end and you got out, I'd hit you with my bat."
Once said Geoff Boycott to Matthew Hoggard. Hoggard received batting tuition from Boycott a few years ago - in his living room...

"So where that cover drive came from, I haven't got a clue."
Matthew Hoggard on his cover-driving heroics in the fourth Ashes Test at Trent Bridge

"it would be disastrous if England's top cricketers suddenly started behaving like David Beckham and his £100,000-a-week mates in football. They seem a dreadful lot. Oiks who know the value of everything and the meaning of nothing."
Former England seamer turned journalist Angus Fraser on suggestions that cricket is becoming the new football

"That Glenn McGrath ... what a *******."
Cricket nut Mick Jagger profiles Australia's veteran seamer

"Whether we win or lose, we relish creating a bit of an arse-nipper."
Ashley Giles on the Test series that has been a little too close for comfort

"You want to take a run to a cover fielder and get run out, whose fault is that?"
Duncan Fletcher reacts to Ricky Ponting's unhappiness with England's use of substitute fielders. Ponting was run out by one of them

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
"I definitely believe if any of our batsmen get out to Giles in the Tests they should go and hang themselves. But I'm confident that won't happen."

Terry Alderman, the former Australian swing bowler, states quite unequivocally what he thinks of Ashley Giles

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here