Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owen

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
would u bring him back into the team for the northern ireland game or stick with the 4-5-1 if so who would u drop from the midfield? personally id play owen up top with rooney switch wright-phillips to the left and beckham back on the right and the usual suspects in the middle.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i would drop wroght phillips for owen. joe cole had a bad game, but he is capable of that magical moment that can win a game

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
Drop Lampard for Owen.

Lampard is out of form and him and Gerrard are not working effectively as a central partnership.

Isn't Lampard's name engraved in stone along with Beckham's on the team sheet?

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
Drop Lampard for Owen.

Lampard is out of form and him and Gerrard are not working effectively as a central partnership.

bit of a knee-jerk reaction, only reason i would keep wright-phillips in ahead of joe cole is to inject that pace in the midfield we need.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Icy Gull said:
Isn't Lampard's name engraved in stone along with Beckham's on the team sheet?

it appears that way

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
RonnieO'Sullivan said:
bit of a knee-jerk reaction, only reason i would keep wright-phillips in ahead of joe cole is to inject that pace in the midfield we need.

But Cole is actually performing on the left, which nobody else seems capable of doing.

The Lampard / Gerrard combination needs looking at, they are very similar type of players and do not really work all that well together. Sometimes rather than picking your most talented players you need to pick players that work within the system. Lampard is not in great form and on Saturday looked all over the place. Ideally I would like to see Carrick come in form Lampard and Beckham go back out on the right.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
But Cole is actually performing on the left, which nobody else seems capable of doing.

The Lampard / Gerrard combination needs looking at, they are very similar type of players and do not really work all that well together. Sometimes rather than picking your most talented players you need to pick players that work within the system. Lampard is not in great form and on Saturday looked all over the place. Ideally I would like to see Carrick come in form Lampard and Beckham go back out on the right.

pretty good shout, but id stick with lamps here come good again soon, he hasnt turned into a bad player overnight.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
robinson

young carragher ferdi cole

wright phillips-beckham-gerrard-cole

owen-rooney

i would have rooney taking more of an attacking midfield role and dropping offf owen. allowing him to pick the ball up from deep.

swp was fantastic and its an injustice if he is not played(especially when its only N.I!) and a worse player(lampard) is picked ahead of him, even when his form for club and country hasnt been at its best thus far.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:

Is that as close as Sven bashing that you are going to go? :D

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
Hold on Hold on.....

Did anyone watch saturday Cole was awfull.....he gave the ball away time after time......he was really bad...

And how you can drop lampard is beyond me.

i agree with the switsh rooney for wrigh phillips then w.p. for cole....you got options to use the second striker then and i think that would be more beneficial

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Owen has to play with Rooney

Id be tempted to give SWP a go on the left instead of Cole and see how it goes.

Gerrard and Lampard didnt have great games saturday because Cole and SWP were coming inside too much and not hugging the line like they should have been, and were taking up all the space they wanted to run into.

We were piss poor again in reality. SVEN OUT

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton Boy said:
Hold on Hold on.....

Did anyone watch saturday Cole was awfull.....he gave the ball away time after time......he was really bad...

And how you can drop lampard is beyond me.

i agree with the switsh rooney for wrigh phillips then w.p. for cole....you got options to use the second striker then and i think that would be more beneficial

Simple, Lampard and Gerrard are too similar, Lampard is out of form so he goes. Carrick will give the side some balance.

Sometimes it is not about picking all the really talented players, but the ones that complement each other.

In the past England did not play Waddle, Barnes, Beardsley and Gazza in the same team the whole time, as it did not work and you needed some graft in there as well.

Stumpy Tim

RonnieO'Sullivan said:
would u bring him back into the team for the northern ireland game or stick with the 4-5-1 if so who would u drop from the midfield? personally id play owen up top with rooney switch wright-phillips to the left and beckham back on the right and the usual suspects in the middle.

I agree with this. SWP could be the player we need on the left. Joe Cole had half a great season for Chelsea - I'm still not convinced

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
robinson

young carragher rio cole

beckham lamps gerrard shaun-wright

owen-rooney

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
Uncle Buck said:
Pretty much. For all the frustrations of Saturday we got the result which is the all important thing and 7 more points sees us marching to the land of the flat heads next summer.

how was saturday frustrating.......for example.

if we beat lets say shrewsbury with a performance like that we would say a very competent away performance.....kept the ball worked hard looked solid etc.

With England its nnever good enough......it doesnt matter what players they hav.....at international football away from home.....

the objectives are ....

take the sting out of the game.
defend well .
keep the ball when you have it.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Re: Re: Owen

Stumpy Tim said:
I agree with this. SWP could be the player we need on the left. Joe Cole had half a great season for Chelsea - I'm still not convinced

cole had an off day. he will deliver against northern ireland, providing he is fit

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton Boy said:
how was saturday frustrating.......for example.

if we beat lets say shrewsbury with a performance like that we would say a very competent away performance.....kept the ball worked hard looked solid etc.

With England its nnever good enough......it doesnt matter what players they hav.....at international football away from home.....

the objectives are ....

take the sting out of the game.
defend well .
keep the ball when you have it.

I think you missed my point. We got the result which was all that was important. My only worry was that the substitutions made meant there were more players out of position than a standard McGhee selection.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here