R.I.P. Robert Eaton

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Ditto

RIP Robert and all those who lost their lives 2 years ago

I don't think any of us who were at the game in the evening of that day realised quite how horrendous it was. I stopped for some chips on the way home at a Chinese in Worthing and stood and watched the TV pictures for about an hour.

Unbelievable

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The football match that evening seemed an irrelevant bit of nonsense of what we witnessed on our TV screens that day. None of the fans or players wanted to be there.

RIP - Robert.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
God Bless Robert, his family & friends. Also goes to all other victims & families involved.
For-Freedom's-Sake.jpg

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Gone but not forgotten.
R.I.P. Hairpiece, old chum.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I wasn't a regular contributor on here at the time, but was deeply moved by the events played out in front of us all. The flag always brings a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes.

R.I.P. Robert.

From today's Argus:-

Remembering Robert, two years on
by Lynn Daly

reaton.jpg

At 3.30pm today the Eaton family will sit with their heads bowed in a tranquil rose garden, remembering the terrible events of two years ago.

Like thousands of others caught up in the September 11 terrorist attacks, they have no grave to visit, no special place to remember the son and brother they loved.

But the opening of a memorial garden in one of London's finest squares will provide a place for Doug and Laura Eaton and their family to grieve for their loss.

They will join family members of the other 66 British victims of the twin towers atrocity which claimed the lives of 3,016 innocent people.

Merchant banker Robert Eaton, 37, worked for Cantor Fitzgerald. The former Brighton College pupil and St Paul's Cathedral chorister was on the 105th floor when the terrorists struck.

The £1 million garden in Grosvenor Square faces the American Embassy.

Framing one end is an oak pergola and at its centre is a small pavilion housing three bronze plaques listing the names of the British victims.

Incorporated into the garden is a steel girder salvaged from one of the twin towers.

Mr Eaton, who lives in Ditchling, near Lewes, said the day would be an emotional one.

He said: "The garden will be a focal point and I think it is something that will help us remember.

"It will be quite a moving occasion to go there and see the name of the person you have lost on the memorial. To actually see Robert's name brings the reality of it home to you."

Robert was the youngest and only boy of the four Eaton children and doted on by his older sisters Angela, Barbara and Judy. They will all be at the service with their husbands.

Mr Eaton said: "We're a close family and Robert was the baby. The girls have lots of memories of him as a little boy, bouncing him on their knees."

Earlier this year, as members of a support group for families caught up in the tragedy, the Eatons went to Highgrove to meet the Prince of Wales.

Mr Eaton said: "He spoke to us all and was very nice - kind and considerate."

He said although they thought of Robert constantly, each anniversary was particularly poignant.

"When the anniversary comes round, it brings the whole thing back to us. Maybe that will get easier with time."

Robert, whose wife Jacqui was American, was a huge Brighton and Hove Albion fan and followed the fortunes of his team on the club's web site North Stand Chat.

After his death, two fellow fans, Steve McMahon and Paul Neal, set up a memorial fund in his name.

It now sponsors the Los Peladitos youth team in New York.

Mr Eaton said: "The memorial fund is one of the things we feel is some small good to come out of the tragedy."

At today's ceremony, Princess Anne will lay a rose on the memorial stone and each bereaved family will be invited to do the same.

Music will be provided by the Thoresby Colliery Welfare Band from Nottinghamshire.

The garden, which symbolises new life, is planted with white roses. It has been designed to have year-round scent and colour and will look especially beautiful in September.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
RIP
Gone but never forgotten.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here