Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham cement works

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I was working in one of the houses along by shoreham cement works today.The bloke we were working for worked there for 40 years and he took us up to the top via his back garden(there is a road up to the top behind the houses).
when i have driven by in the past all you see is the derelict buildings and the area they stand in but when we went up and looked down ,F@@k me ,you should see the size of the crater which runs around behind it.You could get 10 stadiums in it.Ice rinks,anything.Car parks,any thing.Its almost level this massive depression and ready to go.
This bloke says most people who live along there would welcome a stadium because they think the cement works are such an eyesore plus a fair few are housing association anyway.Believe me i always thought Waterhall was the best option but this is better.
Now i know this is old ground but why has this place been ruled out.Is it just road access?Surely this could be sorted out.The club rule this site out but i bet it wouldnt have been as much hassle if they had of really pushed it.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Isn't it outside of the distance limit?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
cost of clearance, asbestos removal, road access is poor and would require cutting through an AONB (a real one not like the fake Falmer one), no rail links (Shoreham probably the closest)....just to name a few short comings :)

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
What about cost of bloody public enquiry?.Plus there would be nowhere near as much ground levelling.I dont think that argument stands up.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
The main killer for this site is access. Only one way to to it and that is by car/bus which means 22,000 would have to drive down the A283 to the Shoreham flyover. If you could move the crater a mile South adjacent to the airport it may have potential!

Last edited:

Bruce Lee Wannabe

Nov 10, 2004
Brighton
To be honest, really don't care where we get a stadium - aslong as it's in the required distance and we GET ONE! The club really seem to feel that Falmer is the only option, but like you say the cost of the enquiry could probably pay for all the road access!!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I think a fair few new grounds which have e been built have had to have new road access.This site is massive and could have so much more than a stadium without any opposition.Why couldnt they put a tram link to it?.I am sure there would have been so much interest from other parties to help re develop this site.As far as demolishing it goes ,There are always demolition programs on sky following a team of experts.I expect sky would have paid for the privilege.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I think the cost is the biggest factor. Yes we have spent money on the public inquiry but nothing like the millions of pounds that would cost and the club cannot afford new players let alone build roads and asbestos clearance etc.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And there was me dreaming of a 15-minute cycle ride to footie every other Saturday :(

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Forgive me for appearing rude but...

HAVE YOU BEEN PAYING ATTENTION TO ANYTHING RELATED TO OUR STADIUM BID OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS?

f***ing hell

:nono:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Yes i have ,but i have only just gone up and seen this site today and couldnt believe the potential ,plus I really have my doubts about Falmer you rude man.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
There is no potential in Beeding Cement works apart from it being 'brownfield' and plenty of space.

Everything else is against it. I doubt even Manchester United could afford the costs of building a stadium there.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:
There is no potential in Beeding Cement works apart from it being 'brownfield' and plenty of space.

Everything else is against it. I doubt even Manchester United could afford the costs of building a stadium there.

Straight out the Martin Perry text book that.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
its not free land,we cant just build on it like some squatter on the say so of some bloke who used to work there!!!!!

IT AINT IN BRIGHTON OR HOVE.IT'S NOT EVEN IN EAST SUSSEX

railway lines cost millions of pounds a mile,stations big enough for thousands of people used once a fortnight would cost the earth and you try getting a non scheduled train on to the main lines(ask the steam engine dweebs)

AND ITS ALSO BEEN PROPOSED FOR DEVELOPMENT IN THE LATEST WEST SUSSEX COUNTY COUNCIL 10 YEAR PLAN

just what we need.another public enquiery

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
BRIGHT ON Q said:
Straight out the Martin Perry text book that.

So your guided tour has made the cement works site a viable proposition that a team of planning experts missed?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
If Falmer gets refused the maybe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here