Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much did GTA San Andreas cost to develop?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Anyone know the approximate development budget and timespan of the latest GTA game? I remember hearing that the budget for big games like that can match that of films, just wondered if that was bollox or not.

Ratso2005

Dec 4, 2004
I can't tell you the exact budget for GTA:SA, but it was in development for one year in itself, but more like three years plus when you consider that it is based on the GTAIII game engine.

The budgets of many games are huge these days; when you consider that you are looking at teams of one hundred people or more including skilled programmers, artists, musicians, voice actors, motion actors, scriptwriters, consultants etc. etc. etc. working long days (especially in Japan) for between one and four years using state of the art equipment it's not surprising at all.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I heard that Microsoft sell the XBox console at a loss and bank on getting their money back through games sales. I guess that's why games like Halo 2 have had film-like advertising, it must cost a fortune up front that they need to recoup.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Don't think Rockstar have revealed developments costs for any of the GTA games.

It wouldn't have cost that much, though - and the conversions to Xbox and PC will be cheap.

Sega's Shemue was supposedly the most expensive game ever made at something like £50m.

As an aside, Rockstar send me the 8xCD soundtrack yesterday, plus a San Andreas headscarf and socks.

I now OWN Balham. :thumbsup:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
lost in london said:
I heard that Microsoft sell the XBox console at a loss and bank on getting their money back through games sales. I guess that's why games like Halo 2 have had film-like advertising, it must cost a fortune up front that they need to recoup.

ALL consoles are sold at a loss or break even, and have been for many years.

Ratso2005

Dec 4, 2004
lost in london said:
I heard that Microsoft sell the XBox console at a loss and bank on getting their money back through games sales.

That is also true of Sony and Nintendo.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Incidentally, how does Getaway, Black Monday compare?

Hopefully I'll get both for Christmas and it sound like the GTA:SA gameplay is better. Then again in Black Monday I'll be able to drive past my offices and shoot the irritating AFRIKANER security guards. :thumbsup:

Ratso2005

Dec 4, 2004
Wozza, you on Xbox Live, mate?

If so, fancy some PES4 / Halo 2 / Top Spin / Crimson Skies/ Street Fighter III action?

Ratso2005

Dec 4, 2004
Simster said:
Incidentally, how does Getaway, Black Monday compare?

Hopefully I'll get both for Christmas and it sound like the GTA:SA gameplay is better. Then again in Black Monday I'll be able to drive past my offices and shoot the irritating AFRIKANER security guards. :thumbsup:

Getaway is a crock:
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/getawayblackmonday/

Get something decent in a different genre instead.

Ratso2005

Dec 4, 2004
PES4 is still unpatched and laggy at the moment, sadly.

GamerTag: MushroomRatso

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Wozza said:
ALL consoles are sold at a loss or break even, and have been for many years.

PSone now makes money :lolol:

The XBox used to lose around £400 on EACH console. Theres a development levy of around £15 for each of the first 1,000,000 copies of a game sold, thats where Microsoft gets the cash back from

XBox still loses big money though, as Intel now whammy them for the cost of making Pentium III's as they're basically the only customer for then

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Ratso2005 said:
PES4 is still unpatched and laggy at the moment, sadly.

are they gonna patch the PC version? I'm still yet to buy it but do fancy a game over the 'net if it runs alright

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
PC version has been patched.

Ratso2005, are you grooming me? :lolol:

Ratso2005

Dec 4, 2004
I haven't yet played the PC version CrabTree, but there's nothing to say that it won't be laggy in the first place when free from Xbox Live's infrastructure.

However, if it is, PC games are normally patched (plus Konami have already promised to patch the Xbox version, including fixing the fact that there is no penalty to the cheating scum who drop out of a game when they are losing).:angry:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Wozza said:
PC version has been patched.

wonderful, I will look into purchasing this piece of software

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Wozza said:
You? Buying a game? :thud:

Xmas pressie innit :thumbsup:

Besides, I bought the last 3 PC titles of EverQuest II & Half-Life 2 & Doom 3........so THERE :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here