Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alarm Bells

wilderabeast

Jul 27, 2004
The Promised Land
I have been trying so hard to take postives out of the Albions current situation and apologises to all but i can't. I just keep remembering the days under Barry Lloyd (love him or hate him you decide). Seem to remember gettin in to the 1st Division\Championship struggling like hell to stay there in uncertain financial times then gettin to the play off's losing to Notts County and then the following season the sh*te really hitting the fan...Relegation, the sale of the Goldstone decent players sold or released, possible relegation to the conference Gillingahm. COME ON help me out here cheer me up for Gods sake

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I remember the constant "Lloyd out" chants at the Goldstone but to be honest, Brigton actually did pretty well under him with some good FA cup ties and a playoff final.
But his biggest asset was his dealings in the transfer market. He bought players in from nowhere and for a pittance and sold them on at an incredible profit, turning some into household names.

During the playoff final season, Brighton were winning games by the odd goal that they had no right to win. Most teams came to the Goldstone and played Brighton off the park...only to lose to that last minute goal or by a fluke. One of the classics was at home to Pompey...0-2 down with 4 minutes to half time then 2-2 by half time. Brighton won 3-2 !!!. But one of the best games was the playoff game against Millwall at home. They were ripped apart and for the first time ever, i thought Robert Codner should play for England :shootself .

It was Lloyds tactics that let him down. When the football genius was asked why he kept kicking the ball from the right back position down the line to the corner flag, he replied "the boss tells him to do that and if he doesn't, he'll get dropped" :eek:

Oh happy days

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
He sold dean saunders for £40,000 who was then flogged for a million by Oxford. He was average at judging players. Melia, Catlin, and the last 5 managers were better at it. His best signing was one season wonder Mike small.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
He was the most crap manager we have ever had at the Albion. The players used to call him Pinocchio. He couldn't look them in the eye and used to give all his team talks looking at the floor.
:( :(

Because he was a nobody, the fans called him Barry Who.

I well remember giving him and Belotti large portions of grieve in the West Stand.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
wilderabeast said:
I have been trying so hard to take postives out of the Albions current situation and apologises to all but i can't. I just keep remembering the days under Barry Lloyd (love him or hate him you decide). Seem to remember gettin in to the 1st Division\Championship struggling like hell to stay there in uncertain financial times then gettin to the play off's losing to Notts County and then the following season the sh*te really hitting the fan...Relegation, the sale of the Goldstone decent players sold or released, possible relegation to the conference Gillingahm. COME ON help me out here cheer me up for Gods sake
I think your feelings are understandable. At Palace under Goldberg it was just the same but we never plummeted and went on to better things thankfully.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Re: Re: Alarm Bells

Croydonbloke said:
I think your feelings are understandable. At Palace under Goldberg it was just the same but we never plummeted and went on to better things thankfully.

Yer, when you got a new Chairman! :nono:

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alarm Bells

3gulls said:
The point is - that is what we need here!
You won`t get if you don`t protest. Or are you on a dick knight out campaign which i believe you`re not.:(

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
jevs said:
I remember the constant "Lloyd out" chants at the Goldstone but to be honest, Brigton actually did pretty well under him with some good FA cup ties and a playoff final.
But his biggest asset was his dealings in the transfer market. He bought players in from nowhere and for a pittance and sold them on at an incredible profit, turning some into household names.

During the playoff final season, Brighton were winning games by the odd goal that they had no right to win. Most teams came to the Goldstone and played Brighton off the park...only to lose to that last minute goal or by a fluke. One of the classics was at home to Pompey...0-2 down with 4 minutes to half time then 2-2 by half time. Brighton won 3-2 !!!. But one of the best games was the playoff game against Millwall at home. They were ripped apart and for the first time ever, i thought Robert Codner should play for England :shootself .

It was Lloyds tactics that let him down. When the football genius was asked why he kept kicking the ball from the right back position down the line to the corner flag, he replied "the boss tells him to do that and if he doesn't, he'll get dropped" :eek:

Oh happy days

You are seriously deluded my friend. Richard Tiltman replacing Dean Suanders, Geoff Cooper anyone. Lloyd believed he could unearth the next Ian Wright by getting a load of nobodys from non league....it just didn't work. I would not be suprised if Lloyd also had his hands in the financial side. He took over Chris Catlins team...a team that was consistently in the top 6 old 2nd division and turned it when he finally left into a shocking team ...."Lloyd" He was a crook....end of !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here