Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipswich Sign Currie in £250k Deal

seagull in ireland

Dec 10, 2003
darren currie joins ipswich

according to the official site currie has joined ipswich town for 250k.sorry to see such a good player go,financially great business cost 0k profit 250k.:eek:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
F**K F**K F**K F**K F**K

A good profit but bloody pissed off.

I bet the money doesn't go into team re-building. We know why but its still gutting. :(

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Shit and derision.

Good luck to the fella - I can't blame him for doing this. it can only strengthen Ipswich's squad. But SHIT AND DERISION.

I honestly believe Harty can fill his shoes, though. It's a bugger, but I think that we'll be alright.

Last edited:

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Sad to see a great player leave, but this is a fantastic bit of business by the club.

I just can't believe that a team like Ipswich, who are aiming to play in the Premiership next season, have gone for a player like Currie.

Good luck to Darren in the future.

Bloody hell!

Apart from his obvious skills and his vital role in this particular Albion team, I was really warming to his commitment and passion.

I fear he will be missed enormously.

I really hope we don't regret this on Sunday 8 May.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
From official site

Darren Currie is leaving Albion to join Championship high-flyers Ipswich Town. In a dramatic deal finalised yesterday (Thursday), the 30-year-old winger is joining the Suffolk club and Albion will receive a guaranteed fee of £250,000.

Albion Chairman Dick Knight said, "I am extremely sorry, as all Albion fans will be, to see Darren leave the club. He's been a key player this season, which is why I turned down several Ipswich bids this week, but in our current financial situation the board were unanimous that we had no choice but to accept the sum Ipswich finally offered us.

"Mark McGhee didn't want to lose Darren either, but accepts that the club's financial position dictates it was an offer we couldn't refuse.

"Also, Darren is an ambitious player and was extremely excited by the prospect of joining a club very much involved in the race for the Premiership. On behalf of all at the Albion I would like to thank him for his contribution to our season, and wish him well for the future."

Albion signed Currie on a free transfer from Wycombe Wanderers during the close season.

Manager McGhee said, "It's a bitter blow, but I am absolutely party to the club's financial plight and under no allusions that we may have to accept an offer of this magnitude.

"I have been delighted with what Darren has done this season, and because of that Dick and I were already in negotiations to offer him a new contract and extend his existing deal for another two years. However, in light of Ipswich's bid, it was difficult for us to stand in his way.

"Darren wants the opportunity to play at the top end of the Championship, but we still did all that we could to try and keep him. Dick refused several offers from Ipswich, and I have tried to persuade him he should stay, but I couldn't win the argument.

"They are a team with a fabulous set up, a superb stadium and are at the top end of the division pushing for a place in the Premiership as opposed to our situation. People have to accept that, and we'll go on together."

Jul 5, 2003
Currie's gone to Ipswich!!

Just released on Club website.

Darren Currie has left for Ipswich in £250,000 deal. That was unexpected!

Who's gonna cross the ball in now then?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Wycome must be gutted, they paid £200,000 for him.

First time Ipswich have paid a fee for a player since November 2001.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I'm gutted :(
Although good luck to the fella.

Surely McGhee will have to give Jarret a game now? We need to have some attack minded midfielders....

Jul 5, 2003
Oops, sorry,

Missed this thread earlier.

As I was saying, who's going to cross the ball in now?

Best out-and-out winger we've had for some time. I used to hate it when we played barnet all those years back as he used to slaughter us.

Perhaps we should go for another lower leagues player like that Owen Whatshisname at Shrewsbury. When we lost three-nil there, having won the league, he too showed us how to cross the ball.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Does beg the question - what exactly does "guarenteed fee" mean ?

Upfront or installments ? - based on appearances (is that guarenteed?)

Only asking the question since Ipswich fans are wondering where the money has come from !

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Well "guaranteed fee" means we get 250k at least, might there be more money based on performances?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Silent Bob said:
Well "guaranteed fee" means we get 250k at least, might there be more money based on performances?

Exactly what I was thinking, surely Dick hasn't managed to wrangle a sell on clause again.

(not that it did any good last time)

Perhaps in these days of smoke and mirrors and spin, the club felt the need to add the word "guarenteed". Has Dick pulled a blinder and added a few quid if Ipswich go up.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Not sure a sell-on clause would be much good anyway, a player of Darren Currie's age this is probably going to be the only big transfer of his career...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Perhaps Dick made Ipswich write their address on the back of the cheque ?

:lolol: :lolol:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here